Adrenal Issues?

I saw my cardiologist two days ago. He wants me to do a 24 hour urinalysis because I have high blood pressure spikes, and he said he'd like to check for a tumor that could be releasing adrenaline and causing the spikes. I'm guessing with this test, they could still find something else that's hopefully not as extreme as a tumor..but I'm just wondering if anyone on here ever went through the same thing, and if it was related to POTS at all. I've been reading up on different forms of POTS and I have so many symptoms of the hyperadrenergic form. If you do have a certain form of POTS, does that mean that there is hope for better treatment since you can kind of be more specific, or is it basically all the same?

I hope I'm making sense with my questions..I'm sill kind of new to dealing with POTS and I'm just trying to find all the information I can on it.

what he's testing you for sounds like something called "pheochromocytoma" (a tumor on the adrenal gland). I was checked for this a few times, especially when they first were trying to figure out what was going on. they were concerned also that i had this type of tumor as my heart rates standing would be in the 200 range.

my 24 hour urinalysis was negative for pheochromocytoma and no one really knows what is causing my problems (except for the confirmed diagnoses of POTS) ....

i hope you get some answers.

p.s. don't worry too much over this condition as it is exceptionally rare and even in the unlikely event that you did have this, in the majority of cases it is a benign tumor and not malignant.

take care and keep us posted.

Yes, like Cardiactec said, it is most likely testing for a pheo. I've done a 24-hour test for that, the catecholamines, and cortisol at the same time. It wouldn't hurt to ask him to test the cortisol too. Just remember to keep the jug in the refrigerator.

I forgot to add, if it is a pheo, that would be something that is FIXABLE! We with POTS are so used to having something that is chronic and don't know if it will get better or not. A pheo is something that can be surgically removed and POOF!, that problem with it's accompanying symptoms is gone.