Growing Up In Home That Did Not Use Salt

I'm wondering if any others here grew up in a home that didn't use salt on their foods? I'm wondering if this could of had a long term effect as to how I ended up with POTS. Not sure, just a thought.

My mom used salt in cooking and after she died, my dad started cooking. My husband frequently referred to dad's meals as coming from the Morton's (salt) recipe book. (lol) I've always been happy to add salt to most all my food my whole life. When I had my big crash last summer though, everything was tasting super salty to me.... even fresh fruits and vegetables.... and I could hardly stand to eat even a couple of bites.

We didn't eat much processed foods... for what it's worth.

I have craved salty foods all my life. I would take salt over sweet any day, always felt that way.

I sometimes wonder if my high salt diet, and the fact that I rode my bike everywhere and really strong legs, kept POTS at bay until I was into adulthood and out of shape.

We used plenty of salt/seasonings in our cooking at home - it was also from scratch but I would not say it was low salt. Though after I got sick I tried going to a nutritionist who said I wasn't getting enough salt for even an average person. That's when I was out of the house and trying to eat "healthy". Since then I have added two cups of broth to my diet and that has helped a lot. I don't think salt intake played a factor in my developing POTS, but I definitely feel better if I keep up the salt.

Hi

I grew up in a house where we didn't use salt and mum made everything from scratch. Probably had more salt when I left home due to working and not being bothered to eat properly. I still don't really like salt, although I crave ready salted crisps (chips).

This is an interesting thread!