Had A Histamine Type Allergic Reaction Tonight

What a bummer.

I was at work.

I had an episode much worse that this one after eating leek soup.

I came home and looked it up this occurred over a year ago and read that leeks contain an allergen that can cause an anaphylactic type response. They are in the lily family and onions and garlic are also in this family.

So I kind of just thought eh who know?

For a long time I was so careful with foods-didn't know what might set me off and then it just seemed that I did not have any problem.

Today I had made chicken on the grill and had added Kikkoman teriyaki sauce to it.

It's the type that's a little thick with sesame seeds in it. I had eaten it before with NO problem.

Today wasn't so lucky. Went to break ate it within 20-30 minutes I started getting flushed immediately got the urge to have a bm, and my heart started racing. Next I just felt heat and intensity in my chest and I caved. I had called another nurse back when my heart rate was at 120. My symptoms were peaking and I had her call the squad. In the squad they said I had signs off allergic reaction. Urticaria across my throat and patches on my face and that I had a wheeze.

He said I would probably have to be tested for allergies and carry an epi pen.

My bp was elevated in ER. The doctor determine I had a histamine type allergic reaction and told me that foods I ingest or chemicals I'm around could cause it. He said especially fish.

Hmm I did get probably a histamine response after lobster many years ago but nothing as intense as what onion does to me.

So before going back to work I had husband stop and buy me liquid Benadryl.

I feel like I'll have to carry it with me everywhere.

And I follow up with my family doctor this week.

Any insight on this? I guess I'll look it up online and see what I can find.

My first thought was that MACD that I hear some of you talk about.

So sorry, Lieze. I know how scary that is. I only began suspecting MCAD after several episodes like you describe AND all of my allergy testing (scratch and blood/RAST) came out negative. In other words, I was allergic to NOTHING, yet I had severe allergy symptoms that led to anaphylaxis.

My absence of any allergies, made MCAD a likely culprit. If you have some true allergies, it's a little more difficult to make an MCAD DX- unless you KNOW you weren't exposed to that trigger at the time of an episode. Getting a blood test within a few hours is a great idea, looking for elevated serum tryptase.

Zyrtec is actually more effective than benadryl and you can have more than one if necessary. Given your anaphylactic or anaphylactoid reaction, you should also carry an epi-pen. Sounds like it's time for some allergy testing. Let us know what you find out.

Hugs-

Julie

I take an antihistamine since last october after a bad reacting due to eating shrimps. When i eat garlic, onions and carbohydrates i get almost the same reaction thats because them 3 dilate the blood vessels and that sets my system off big time. A few days ago i accidently ate a tiny amount of salat sauce and didnt taste the onions and garlic in it. After a little while i had a bad reaction to it and then found out that there was garlic and onion powder in the salat sauce. I react very sensitive to everything that dilates the blood vessels and garlic and onions to that. Iam still on my H1 Blocker for the other stuff. all the best, carinara

Julie and Carinara

Hugs to both of you. Thanks so much for responding to my post.

I guess I'm thankful I have a chance to explore this and get treatment.

My lungs tighten up on me a lot and my throat also.

I'm hoping that I get relief of some of these symptoms along with finding out what things I have difficulty with even though it's a bummer to think about eliminating foods from my life-I guess it's worth it in the long run.

Lieze,

I had the tight throat and lung problems (plus a bunch of others) that I couldn't control for years- very scary. Then, I started taking atarax nightly in addition to my other MCAD meds (zyrtec, ranitidine, singulair.) IT turned things around big time for me. IT's a very potent H-1, the equivalent of 2.5 zyrtec. It can make some folks sleepy. That's why it must be taken right before bed. If you're already doing a daytime zyrtec, maybe consider adding that.

All the best-

Julie