Taurine?

Has anyone ever been tested for Taurine deficiency or Taurine enzyme deficiency? It effects sympathetic excitability, brain and nervous system function, skeletal and cardio-muscle strength, metabolism and on and on. It is also important to the function of the gallbladder and water homeostasis in the kidney. After reading about taurine deficiency and quite a few cats (look it up) I am beginning to wonder if I might be a bit low. Anyone have some hard data on it? Anyone tried it? I'm not talking about the RedBull stuff, but a supplement.

Has anyone ever been tested for Taurine deficiency or Taurine enzyme deficiency? It effects sympathetic excitability, brain and nervous system function, skeletal and cardio-muscle strength, metabolism and on and on. It is also important to the function of the gallbladder and water homeostasis in the kidney. After reading about taurine deficiency and quite a few cats (look it up) I am beginning to wonder if I might be a bit low. Anyone have some hard data on it? Anyone tried it? I'm not talking about the RedBull stuff, but a supplement.

Oh, you got me laughing. I was all set to say we must be transforming into cats when I got to your 3rd line. I could spare some of their kibble - not the treats, though, they don't share.

I am actually curious what responses come in. I lost my gallbladder in 1988.

A lot of the amino acids work on brain chemicals. You can use different ones to affect different brain functions. Like L-Tryptophan works on serotonin. GABA works on GABA. etc. I'd have to get some of my books out to find out which one Taurine works on. You do however, have to be CAREFUL. If you tend to have brain imbalances, you can imbalance yourself more. Everyone is different and what will work for one, won't work for another. You can throw yourself into a mania if you don't mix things right. Some people don't process protein correctly and you may not react the way you want to. Amino Acids are broken down components of protein. Only one way to find out. Some health stores will allow returns if you have an adverse reaction.

I think it's in those vitamin waters.

I like those!

They have them 10/10 right now at the grocery store and I always feel pretty refreshed when I drink them but not sure what it's doing for me.

lieze

When my son or I are really sick (and can't eat-dysmotility), those vitamin waters are a lifesaver. They offer more than 40 calories worth of oomph! There is one, that is high in taurine- can't remember which- maybe the pale purple one.

Jennifer- I can't help but feel excited for you. Maybe THIS is your missing piece. Get thee tested.

Julie

Ever curious, I consumed a Vitamin water (dragonberry has 25mg Taurine) 30 minutes before my workout. I usually drink gatorade. I did notice less shaking during the workout and I was almost able to finish a whole session of Pilates with "normal" people. Immediately after, I took 500 mg in capsule form. I was tired, but not like I have been. So far, I have not been debilitatingly sore like I normally am after my workouts. I've only taken it once, and intend to try it again before my next workout and see if it still works.

I would say, based on my one experience so far, that it works, but the experiment goes on.........

Ever curious, I consumed a Vitamin water (dragonberry has 25mg Taurine) 30 minutes before my workout. I usually drink gatorade. I did notice less shaking during the workout and I was almost able to finish a whole session of Pilates with "normal" people. Immediately after, I took 500 mg in capsule form. I was tired, but not like I have been. So far, I have not been debilitatingly sore like I normally am after my workouts. I've only taken it once, and intend to try it again before my next workout and see if it still works.

I would say, based on my one experience so far, that it works, but the experiment goes on.........

In theory, it has a cardio tissue protective factor -

http://www.springerlink.com/content/y6283706v72n1222/

Guest tearose

I dislike being the odd one out but I drank diet Pepsi in the black can (Pepsi infusion?) and it had Taurine in it and I got terribly sick drinking it. I don't touch Taurine and am sure I don't need any in my system.

I dislike being the odd one out but I drank diet Pepsi in the black can (Pepsi infusion?) and it had Taurine in it and I got terribly sick drinking it. I don't touch Taurine and am sure I don't need any in my system.

Tearose,

I didn't take it with caffeine. It was by itself. So far it seems to work. I am more sore today than I was yesterday. I will try it on Monday again and see. It may be placebo effect. :blink: