Small Bowel Dysmotility?

I have this also and I think the consensus among GI docs is to use the same mades for gastroparesis (erythromycin, domperidone, etc.). I've also been advised to stay on a gastroparesis diet (small, frequent meals, low fiber, low fat, etc.). Another thing that helps is to keep your colon moving properly. I use milk of magnesia regularly.

Hi Angela,

My son consistently has this- nexium, eyrthromycin, no dairy, and a gastroparesis diet helps him. I have it intermittently, the severity waxes and wanes for me. Controlling the reflux with ranitidine and using mega doses of Miralax keeps me feeling "normal."

I have consistently been told that the symptoms are identical to gastroparesis & the treatment is the same.

Is yours acting up? Have you tried the Miralax yet?

Julie

Truly changed my life. I take a lot- all at night and a half phenergan to deal with the tiny bit of nausea it gives me. The phenergan helps me sleep too. In the AM, I have my coffee, and feel nature's urge :rolleyes: right after. I take around 3 doses at once now. Start with whatever dose your doc recommends. It takes a few days before it starts working. When it does- it's a miracle.

If you like sweet drinks, easy to hide in juice or soda. I hate sweets, so I have it in water flavored with lemon- not bad. My nighttime toddy :P. Yum Yum.

Good luck! I have found that once you get things moving anywhere in your GI tract, the whole thing moves :unsure: Sam's club is the cheapest place to buy it. They even have their generic form called "Clearlax"- works just like the named brand.

Cheers-

Julie

Guest tearose

Okay cardiactec, maybe more than you want to know...

I dislike using miralax all the time for concern that it doesn't allow me to control my sphincter and I have then had accidents. Horrible "blow outs" in my pants. It is NOT diarrhea, it is just not giving steady, controllable movements. I apologize if you don't want to know, it is just the way for me, so I thought you want my experience.

I use miralax, only as needed and only when I can be near a bathroom.

Instead of getting to a stuck place, I try to get little fiber doses all day in various food sources and chewable tablets.

I was in the hospital just last May with a Small bowel obstruction. The thought was it may be from scar tissue/adhesions. I have done no official follow up since then, I have just been doing all to manage on my own. I did okay for a long time with occasional flare ups and I too did the small frequent soft meals. I also massaged the lower left pelvic area that feels like it "kinks" up.

I am due for a review since I'm having more problems with pelvic/bowel pain recently. I hadn't considered the small bowel dysmotility could be the dysautonomia. I'll have to discuss all with the doctor.

My "new" GI appointment is this Monday and I'll tell you more after.

none of my docs have made any prediction about the future of my motility... it waxes and wanes. Miralax does help too, along with avoiding large meals. Walking helps too.