Need Advice On My Design Message

Simmy

I?m getting tired of people constantly asking me if I?m OK when I go out and need to sit, squat, or lie down for a few minutes here and there, so I came up with a few designs for which I?d like your opinion. I?d like to place the best one (or a combination of two) on the front and back of some T-shirts for myself, in hopes that it will immediately get the message across to the viewer that I?m doing what I?m doing for medical reasons, and I?m not drunk, stoned, or in need of 911.

You can see the 4 designs, RYG1 thru 4, here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simbofats/set...57623764891897/

Which do you think is best at getting that point across quickly? Also, please don?t hesitate to make suggestions for changes, all ideas are welcome. And of course, they?re free for anyone to use.

Thanks,

Simmy

I’m getting tired of people constantly asking me if I’m OK when I go out and need to sit, squat, or lie down for a few minutes here and there, so I came up with a few designs for which I’d like your opinion. I’d like to place the best one (or a combination of two) on the front and back of some T-shirts for myself, in hopes that it will immediately get the message across to the viewer that I’m doing what I’m doing for medical reasons, and I’m not drunk, stoned, or in need of 911.

You can see the 4 designs, RYG1 thru 4, here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simbofats/set...57623764891897/

Which do you think is best at getting that point across quickly? Also, please don’t hesitate to make suggestions for changes, all ideas are welcome. And of course, they’re free for anyone to use.

Thanks,

Simmy

#2 or 3, because they clearly show the awkward squatting position we must resort to in public

Guest tearose

I like number two best because it shows how we need to squat to avoid a faint. How about using blue for the fainted last line? It is your design but I appreciate your asking us. I also thought the traffic light though interesting, would cause confusion.

Let us know when you start selling them.

Thanks everyone for your input. It looks like so far #3 is the winner, followed closely by #2. My initial thought was to put #4 on the back and #2 on the front.

True, I'll have more inquiries by wearing it, but it's for a good cause and at least people will realize I'm wobbling or squatting for a legitimate medical reason even without the need for words, and honestly it's the weird stares that I hope to minimize most rather than conversing with polite people.

No, I'm not a graphic artist, but thanks, it's just something I've been playing around with over the last few days using an old version of Microsoft Publisher. If I was, I'd probably also be able to figure out how to post a poll with embedded pictures like Michelle's logo contest.

I was originally thinking about a T-shirt with a statement like...

"If I'm squatting I'm OK, I have

Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome.

If I'm face-down on the floor,

please call 911"

...but I think the images are better.

Tearose - I actually hadn't thought of the bottom one looking like 'fainted', I meant it as 'lying down for relief', hence the green. I'm glad I asked for input. I guess they're somewhat interchangeable though. I had no intention of selling these, I just wanted to make a few for myself, but if you have a connection with someone who can make and sell these for less than I would spend online, I'll be glad to buy a few from you :blink:

Again, all the images are free for anyone to use as they wish, and if you'd like a copy of the full-size originals in .jpg, or .pub format (if you want to modify it), just send me a message with your email address.

• 3 weeks later...
:) Nice idea. As a backup plan, in case the logo's don't get the message across you could consider moving to a neighborhood where most people are drunk, stoned or in need of medical assistance and such behaviors are commonplace and just ignored by people! These things change over time, but there were neighborhoods like that here and there in the old days at least! Maybe not where you want to live though :)

I think that the messeage is clear to us with POTS, but I don't really think that people who have no idea what POTS is will get it. Maybe explaining a little more. People are more likely to read what you have on the back of your shirt. They will stare at your back, but avoid eye contact on your front. Especially, if it's something they have to concentrate on to understand. The front maybe should just have the name of the illness, and the back be the complete explanation. (Hey, for what that's worth.)

Erik - I don't know, sounds like I'd blend in perfectly in that neighborhood and they wouldn't bother bothering me :)

HEnsor - Very cool! It gets the fidgety message through brilliantly. Nicely done.

issie - Thanks. I think adding a description in smaller letters on the back is a great idea, perhaps with different symptoms scattered about like I've seen somewhere else, especially since it is mostly viewed by the person standing in line behind me while I'm squatting - captive audience. I do however still prefer the front to have the image as well as the name... for what it's worth :)

Well, I created one T-shirt through zazzle.com and put #4 on the back and #2 on the front a couple of weeks ago and I think it came out great. It's expensive, about $26 each delivered, but I have no other way of making them. It already started two separate conversations about POTS while I was shopping at Walmart, when people asked me about it - once while I was squatting in an isle and again at checkout. Now that the weather is getting hot I'll have to order one more in XXL so I can wear it over my cool vest.

I think these are BRILLIANT! I've taken the 4th one to put on my fundraising page- hope you don't mind :-) (I'm raising money for the Bristol Heart Institute who are treating me very successfully and have great Docs).

They are PERFECT- completely clear, very colourful and thought provoking.

Would you mind if I got in touch with the UK Syncope Trust about your designs? They are trying to raise awareness of POTS and your images would probably work very well with that. You can check them out on www.stars.org.uk

Thanks for sharing- you've made my day :) :)

With number 4, I think the point is best served if you could tone down the color on the stoplight from black to a light to medium grey so it is not so much a focus.

Under each of the heart beat lines - the red one for instance - a brief line saying 'the PoTS heart is not happy, this is hard work. the yellow - 'the PoTS heart appreciates being cautious' - the green - the PoTs heart feels safe.' Not everyone would know you meant an EKG line.

Wouldn't this image have to be on the back of a t-shirt anyhow given that most of the questions are due to having to squat in line, etc? A few more words would give them something to read.

Thanks Reen, for the suggestions. I'll definitely tone down the blackish color of the stoplight, that's a good idea. I also agree the main focus should be on the back of the shirt, with the front being 'bonus advertisement space', and that some additional wording might be needed on the back that briefly explains the symptoms, but I don't want it too wordy. I think the image is self-explanatory in regards to 'vertical posture equals faster heartrate', and anyone not recognizing the lines to be those of a beating heart is probably also incapable of interpersonal communication.

And another thing... when did POTS become PoTS and why wasn't I asked? Who decided to drop Orthostatic? Didn't House use all four words on last week's episode? :P