Blair Grubb

Hi Angela,

Good to hear from you again. Or not, because that means you are not doing well.

Dr. Grubb spent a lot of time with me and my husband, and sent literature to my home after the visit. He was incredibly patient and kind. He had a lot of information about the nervous system and how it is affected.

That being said, he fixated on my weight (I am one of the few overweight), and he didn't do any diagnostic testing. I had to get that from Vanderbilt and Cleveland Clinic. The office is terrible about returning phone calls.

I did like his insight into things, and do continue to see him. I find that he listens to me more than his NP does.

Are you aware, though, that he has a 3 year waitlist?

Good Luck,

Angela

Angela,

Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

As for diagnostic testing, I wouldn't be looking for that anyway as I think Mayo Clinic covered all the ground you can possibly cover for tests! Treatment options were a huge frown on in my experience with mayo and it is not good to have heart rates like mine almost ALL the time.

As for the three year wait list, I am hoping I can get in sooner as I have been in close correspondence with a doctor I met four years ago who is good friends of Blair Grubb and he just wrote Grubb a letter explaining the urgency of my situation and questioning my POTS diagnosis altogether as my heart rates, they tell me, are way out of ballpark for most POTSIES. As an EP who specializes in POTS, Grubb might just have better answers and treatments for me coming from more of a cardiac perspective and not JUST neuro.

I've seen Dr. Grubb twice, but have kept in contact with him via some of my other doctors as well as me faxing directly with questions. His initial appointments are lengthy, usually including a very good history as well as an in-office poor man's TTT, and physical. Based on whatever previous results you have, what he sees in office, for me, he was able to help ID my subtype of issue and get me on the correct combo of meds which have kept me functioning for the most part.

As others have commented, unless you're local, he will likely review the testing you've had and go from there. Also, as far as ongoing contact, it can be difficult to get through his staff, so I've found the best method is to fax my questions, then there is no chance that your questions are misconstrued or missing information in the transcription of your phone call. He has made himself available to my local EP cardio for questions as well as my GP.

I found the appointment to be a useful second opinion, as I went there with a Dx of POTS / NCS, which he was able to confirm AND give me a different set of meds which worked better than the ones my local docs had me on. For your ongoing care, you'd need to decide whether to continue traveling to OH for follow ups/ med tune ups, or try to coordinate care with your local team.

Nina

Guest tearose

cardiactec,

I don't understand enough about your excessive heart rates... Am I missing something?

I learned that it is part of what happens to us so I have learned to manage or live with most of them. If I am unable to manage and have several runs of SVT's I know it is time to sit back and take potassium and slo mag supplements. I wait it out a day or two and I'm usually good to go again. I also hate PSVT's and these I avoid by staying in compression and not standing still before putting compression on.

How excessive are your runs and is an intervention needed? Can you do any behavior modifications to help yourself?

tearose