Cardiologist at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville

Gena

A recent question about a recommendation for Mayo doctors prompted me to get off my butt and finally make this post! I went to Mayo in Jacksonville back in Sept. and saw a cardiologist named Dr. Fred Kusumoto (I believe I mentioned him briefly in another post a while back.) However, I just wanted to tell everyone on this forum that I think he is very good and quite knowledgable about POTS. He's new at Mayo and came from somewhere in the southwest. He's treated many POTs patients before coming to Mayo. He was very friendly, a great listener and seemed to really sympathize with and understand all of the crazy symptoms we have. He suggested some helpful tips and offered insight as well. And despite his name, he speaks perfect English! The last thing he said to me was " I take pride in being accessible to my patients." He gave me his card with the direct phone number to his secretary at Mayo. He said call if you ever need anything or have any questions.

The last few days I've been having a lot of chest pain and arrythmias, so today I decided, what the heck, I'd try giving him a call to see if I could discuss it over the phone with him. I called and his secretary was out, but I got some woman who took my name and phone# and said she'd give him the message...I thought, yeah right...either he won't get the message, or he'll have a nurse call me back, or I'll have to call back 29 times before he'll ever respond.

Within one hour I got a return phone call from Dr. Kusumoto himself! He had my records in front of him and completely remembered my visit with him. I reviewed my symptoms and shared my anxiety. He was great! He didn't seem overly concerned since I have no blockages or heart disease of any kind, but said if I continued to have frequent arrythmias that he would work me in his schedule as soon as possible for more testing or he could tell me what tests to have my local cardiologist do here. He was very sympathetic and I felt much better after talking with him. I highly recommend him to anyone going to Mayo in Jacksonville!! :)

Thanks for posting about that doc, Gena. As you can imagine, I get quite a few inquiries regarding doctors. It's great to hear of another good one out there. I'm glad you had such a positive experience.

Michelle