Cooling Vest - Which Is Best?

Simmy

Guest tearose

Reen,

Please let me clarify...

I totally agree with you about trying everything that can aid or help. The reality has also been it is tough enough to manage I get worn out sometimes explaining when someone thinks of my seat cane as a weapon or my wired vest as a threat to security...it is a painful reality I have had to deal with!

Any security person seeing someone wearing a puffy vest in the heat of the summer will most certainly raise concerns.

I too try everything but also know I will fare better if I have an answer prepared for those inevitable questions or interrogations.

Reen,

Please let me clarify...

I totally agree with you about trying everything that can aid or help. The reality has also been it is tough enough to manage I get worn out sometimes explaining when someone thinks of my seat cane as a weapon or my wired vest as a threat to security...it is a painful reality I have had to deal with!

Any security person seeing someone wearing a puffy vest in the heat of the summer will most certainly raise concerns.

I too try everything but also know I will fare better if I have an answer prepared for those inevitable questions or interrogations.

Oh I agree Tearose.

Does your wired vest really look like a threat to security? I used to have to go through security all the time and have to explain the TENS unit - stand here ma'am until we wand you.

I haven't seen the coolvest yet but your image of it as puffy is one that had not occurred to me. Having a script in mind is undoubtedly a good idea - me I am just afraid of another summer without one.

My bigger concern is that someone might not avail themselves of this out of false vanity. Better to learn to actually communicate with others and possibly educate them in the process. Nina has done this admirably.

I agree, in theory, with you about the value of work. I think that most people want to work as it helps define who you are in society but knowing when you can't do it anymore is always a tough call.

The work situation is far more complicated than 'just' temperature sensitivity, unfortunately. Sigh. - but I have already become branch secretary for my local branch of the professional body that I am qualified under, and have various other projects lined up, and am looking into different voluntary stuff too. The difficult thing is not over-doing it!

Anyway, back on topic, I didn't think I would have the money to get one, but I have just (bizarrely) had a pay rise. So providing that my employer doesn't start docking pay for my 'sickness' absence I think I may be able to get one :blink: - which would be the 'cool vest lite' I think.

Guest tearose

Just had an idea!

Make your own cooling vest! Buy a large insulated cooler on sale, cut it up and sew a vest with slots for the ice packs. Buy pedialite freezer pops and use those as the coolant packs. If you get weak, just use one of the ice pops and then re-stock! It is a vest with a dual purpose!

Okay, a bit silly but it is still morning and my bp is very low...

I just love the thought of wearing a popsicle :blink: A bit like a wearable vending machine (dunno what you call them in the US)

Has anyone flown wearing a cooling vest? - as in will I get through airport security OK, or will I need special letters from Drs etc.? Any thoughts?

Guest tearose

Yes, my physician has given me a letter that explains my heating vest, lymphedema wrap, my heart monitor and my need to stretch and move around a little. I also recommend you let the airline know by calling them. This way it won't be strange when you show up with extra, unusual items. Let's face it, we are not the usual passenger and we don't want to cause any concern.

I agree. It's a good idea to carry a doctor's letter prescribing our devices and meds.

Well, the weather finally turned hot again and I got to try out my new cool vest yesterday. I'm truly amazed by how well it worked. It's a bit more bulky with the packs frozen than at room temperature and definitely shows through loose over-clothing, but wow, is it ever worth it.

It was in the mid 80's and my wife was doing some gardening so I put on the vest and went outside to join her, something until then I was unable to do for very long in that kind of heat. Of course I wasn't able to physically help much, but I sat in the shade for almost an hour and it honestly felt like it was 15 degrees cooler outside.

More testing to come, but I'm overjoyed with the initial results. I give it three thumbs up :D

I wore it again today. 88 degrees and we were sitting in the backyard. What an amazing difference. We came in after about an hour and I went straight to the couch and fell asleep while still wearing it. Very comfortable. I woke up an hour and a half later and it's still cool. Can't praise it enough.

Simmy, hi neighbor~ it's darned hot an humid here today and glad that your vest allowed you to have some nice outdoor time. Before my misting fan and my vest, I felt trapped all Summer in my house, even though I have a patio--i was relegated to going out to do gardening, which keeps me semi-sane on the coolest of days, usually drizzly/raining.

Nina

The ones I've seen are one-size-fits-all, in other words wont-fit-me. Is there a vest that will fit on the super skinny?

The ones I've seen are one-size-fits-all, in other words wont-fit-me. Is there a vest that will fit on the super skinny?

Coolsport.net has a smaller vest for those weighing 85 to 110 lbs.

"The Kids' Vest is designed for older children and has the same cooling capacity of our adult Cool Vest Lite model. It has an approximate weight of 3.8 pounds. (one size fits all on both the Junior Vest and Kids' Vest.)"

Since the cooling capacity is the same, why not give them a call and see if it will work for you?

Thanks Nina. I wear it almost every day now if it gets into the 70's or higher. I also discovered the gel packs alone are great for headaches because of the steady 62 degrees instead of an ice-pack's freezing.

KeXia - Yes, you could try the junior size. Call them, they'll figure it out with you. It's worth it!

• 3 weeks later...

Got my cool vest today, and am now wearing it :P unfortunately it is now evening so it is cooler anyway, but it feels sooooo nice. I don't think it will miraculously take away all my heat related issues, but if how I feel now is anything to go by I think it will be a big plus in managing my pots. mmmmm cool for the first time in days :D

Yay HEnsor! I'm happy for you.

No, it is not a cure for heat intolerance, but it definitely helps by giving you much more time to tolerate the heat. It's 81F outside now and I'm wearing mine, even though I'm inside and the AC is on, but I don't have to set the thermostat quite so low and I save money while feeling cool.

I'm sorry the next few days aren't expected to get above 60F in your neck of the woods and I know you're dying to test it out. Do you have a hot attic? :)

Enjoy it.

• 6 years later...

Hello! On my opinion the best cooling vest is FlexiFreeze Ice Vest. Why? I use it allready when ride on my bike and it's help good as for me and coasts more then other one. Before this i used another one (forgot the name of it), it helps too, but this one is better. So i chose the FlexiFreeze Ice vest.

https://gadgets-reviews.com/review/224-how-to-pick-a-proper-cooling-vest.html