Cooling Vest - Which Is Best?

Simmy

Coolsport isn't easily concealable, nonetheless, I love mine. It's made it possible for me to continue to work in the warmer weather, in school buildings without a/c for about 4 hours per set of cooling packs.

I bought a CoolSport vest with an extra set of cooling packs at the beginning of last summer. We don't have good A/C and our house stays at least 80 degrees for a couple months out of the year. I wore my vest non-stop during those months. When we went on vacation, I wore the vest and brought a cooler filled with ice and the extra set of cool packs so I could change them out when the first set melted (which takes around 3 hours, depending on the heat). It takes about 30-45 minutes for the spare cool packs to get cold again.

I have Raynaud's and don't do well in heat or cold, but the packs don't get cold as regular ice. I think they only cool to 60 degrees or so. On hot days, I put on my cooling vest and get an instant pick-me-up. I also use a water bottle to spritz myself all day long.

The CoolSport vest and spare packs weren't covered by my insurance, and they were spendy but worth it.

I bought a CoolSport vest with an extra set of cooling packs at the beginning of last summer. We don't have good A/C and our house stays at least 80 degrees for a couple months out of the year. I wore my vest non-stop during those months. When we went on vacation, I wore the vest and brought a cooler filled with ice and the extra set of cool packs so I could change them out when the first set melted (which takes around 3 hours, depending on the heat). It takes about 30-45 minutes for the spare cool packs to get cold again.

I have Raynaud's and don't do well in heat or cold, but the packs don't get cold as regular ice. I think they only cool to 60 degrees or so. On hot days, I put on my cooling vest and get an instant pick-me-up. I also use a water bottle to spritz myself all day long.

The CoolSport vest and spare packs weren't covered by my insurance, and they were spendy but worth it.

thankful-

Your experience is extremely helpful. thank you.

2 questions-

Do you get a lot of humidity where you live and, if so, does that usually bother you or not so much as long as you have the Coolvest?

Does your insurance usually cover Durable Medical Equipment? I'm looking to get a script for one when I go to my new neuro at the end of May and my insurance covers durable med - I need to save $ for all the other medical costs not covered.

One thing I've used that has helped is a device called Artic Mist ( trademark) - a bottle filled with water and ice is in a neoprene bag around your waist like a waistpak - the botttle has a pump on it to create pressure and a tube running from it that will spray a fine ice mist on you or in front of you reducing the temperature around you by 10 degrees - extremely handy to have for moms at ball games and the like. I got it years ago at JC Penney for less than $25.

Noreen

I live in high humidity area--we're in NJ where there is protected wetlands on either side of our home. The only place with higher humidity in the US as far as I know is the FL Everglades. I bought the coolsport with one extra set of cooling packs too. I like them b/c the packs don't SWEAT which happens with most other vests if they use a water based coolant, but the coolsport uses a polymer.

I also purchased a misting fan, which allows me to spend time outdoors WITHOUT the vest in my back yard. It drops the temperature at least 10 degrees F. in the immediate area of the fan. It's similar to the misting fans you might see at an amusement park or concert. The fan hooks up to our water hose, and I purchased a splitter at the tap so the we can still have a regular hose connection available, even when my fan is running.

Both of these have been amazing investments, allowing me to enjoy the outdoors when I would normally be trapped in my home.

Nina

All of that was valuable information. Thanks all. I've decided to get the CoolSport. I also checked out some backyard misters and they're pretty inexpensive and definitely a good idea.

Thanks again

Post and let us know how you make out with your purchase - e.g. sizing, etc.

More and more of us will be looking for this as the months roll on.

Tks,

Noreen

I just ordered my white, CoolSport Cool Vest Lite, in supplex nylon. The only size available in this 'concealable' model was "one size fits all", but based on the pictures it should provide ample coverage for my small frame. It should arrive by the end of the week. Total price with shipping was $186. I'll keep you informed.

2 questions-

Do you get a lot of humidity where you live and, if so, does that usually bother you or not so much as long as you have the Coolvest?

Does your insurance usually cover Durable Medical Equipment? I'm looking to get a script for one when I go to my new neuro at the end of May and my insurance covers durable med - I need to save $ for all the other medical costs not covered.

One thing I've used that has helped is a device called Artic Mist ( trademark) - a bottle filled with water and ice is in a neoprene bag around your waist like a waistpak - the botttle has a pump on it to create pressure and a tube running from it that will spray a fine ice mist on you or in front of you reducing the temperature around you by 10 degrees - extremely handy to have for moms at ball games and the like. I got it years ago at JC Penney for less than $25.

Noreen,

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner to your questions! And thank you for the suggestion to get an Artic Mist - it sounds heavenly!

1. I live in the Pacific NW where it rains a lot, but we aren't hot and humid like other areas of the US. If it's hot, it's usually moderately humid. The heat seems to bother me more than the humidity, but like I said we don't have the same stifling humidity as other areas. The CoolSport helps with the heat, for certain.

2. My insurance does cover DME, but on a VERY limited basis. For example, they only cover compression if you have lymphedema or venous stasis ulcers, and they only cover wheelchairs if you use them 100% of the time. My Dr has appealed, especially regarding compression, but still none of my regular POTS devices are covered. I know that some people have better DME coverage than me (most probably do, as a matter of fact) :unsure: . I have great coverage in other areas, though.

I just ordered my white, CoolSport Cool Vest Lite, in supplex nylon. The only size available in this 'concealable' model was "one size fits all", but based on the pictures it should provide ample coverage for my small frame. It should arrive by the end of the week. Total price with shipping was $186. I'll keep you informed.

Woohoo! Let us know how you like it! :unsure:

If you use www.coolvest.com they offer a 20% discount to us. Code: POTS-20

I bought the ice packs from them, but tried 4 different vest before I found one that fit me right:

http://coolsport.net/index2.html

It helps tremendously with my daily intolerance to heat, but if I'm outside in the summer, it's not cool enough. I've read every article available, and know that I'm not supposed to use ice packs below 55 degrees because of vasoconstriction (see: http://blog.coolvest.com/how-the-body-cools/

Still, I'm thinking of investing in a active cooling system fot his summer (the kind that circulates ice water through tubes). I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who owns one of these!

Erin

Thanks Erin for the discount code. I plan on looking into one of these before summer vacation for sure! My babes love to go to the park and I just DREAD it!! Maybe this will help!!

Brye

Well, I just received my new Coolsport cooling vest today. That was fast. The fit is great, nice and snug if I want it to be. Totally adjustable with eight Velcro straps. Very soft and comfortable fabric too.

Too bad it's a beautiful, cool, dry day today and I'm feeling better than I have in months. (Did I just say that?) :angry:

I'll get back to you when it gets hot and yucky again.

Yes, it is worn over a T-shirt or light clothing, although it can also be worn over bare skin, but then it would obviously need to be washed more often. The model I got from Coolsport, the Cool Vest Lite, is adjustable and quite comfortable and can be concealed under loose clothing. The vest, with one set of cool packs was $160 plus shipping, and an extra set of cool packs is $100.

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect! Just the info I was looking for! - this site is really really useful.

I am temperature sensitive, as in if I am in about 23 degrees C (73 degrees F) for more than a few minutes I get weaker and weaker and end up like I've had a stroke or am several bottles of Vodka drunk, taking anything from 30 seconds to 9 months to recover. As you can see, that isn't particularly hot, and somewhat inconvenient :P

Does anyone know of any UK suppliers of cool vests?

Does anyone know if the NHS might supply one?

I believe that whatever is not covered by your medical insurance would then be deductible on your taxes under medical expense for those in the US. This year I was able to deduct all my co-pays, for doctor appts as well as for prescriptions. Added up to more money than I realized. It was actually a better deduction on my state taxes than it was on federal. This is the first year we used a CPA to do our taxes and I'm so glad we did b/c I know now that I missed loads of medically related deductions in the past...

I have the lite vest, it is adjustable with straps around the waist and the shoulders; they have velcro that allows you to make it fit you perfectly. I have taken the vest with me to Mexico, as well as on trips to Florida. It's made it possible for me to enjoy many outdoor activities that I would have otherwise missed. It's also allowed me to work in school buildings that have no a/c in the early Summer before school ends in the US.

For me, I wear it over my clothing b/c otherwise it's a bit bulky in my opinion. I do sometimes get stares, and questions, but most are well intentioned and I just say it helps keep my body temperature normal b/c my body doesn't do it well on it's own. That's usually plenty of information that folks just move along to a different topic or back to whatever they were doing before they noticed me.

Nina

Guest tearose

Nina, how truly can you deal with the stares?

I feel odd in the winter if my heating vest wires are showing... :P I too get stares but it is winter and people wear vests.

I can only imagine how in the heat of the summer a vest makes you stand out.

I suppose if it helps you manage it is worth figuring out how to deal with nosey people comments.

The 'stares' issue doesn't really bother me. I already use a wheelchair, wear compression tops, have bulky black kneebraces and wrist braces, and randomly get out of my chair and wiggle my butt to realign my pelvis due to EDS ;) So I look like a cyborg anyway :P "my body doesn't work like average - it's special!" usually makes the casually curious shut up, and the genuinely interested ask more.

anyway, cool shirts:

I am in the process of loosing my job because of my temperature sensitivity (and over a year of discrimination and harassment), at present 'Flollop' is the best way to describe me in an average office environment - hence I am currently banned from them, although I don't think my heart rate goes massively insane. Would people think that a cool shirt would mean that I actually might be able to work again?

Guest tearose

HEnsor,

TRY everything! Having a job is so healthy in so many ways. Be realistic though too! I use a heating vest in the winter because I get very sick when my core temp is so low. It helps me get around better but still doesn't make it possible for me to manage normally.

I made the mistake of pushing and then relapsing for months.

I suggest you try the cooling vest while working and see how it goes. Even in the UK I am sure they rather keep you hired than have to let you go, hire and train someone new! Talk up your assets to your employer and see if they can give you an extension while you try the cooling vest.

I am extremely sensitive to temperature and even though I may use a vest of whatever sort, it doesn't stop the other problems I have with temperature sensitivity. I am unable to work but I do volunteer when I can. If you must leave your job, try to do volunteer work.

Nina, how truly can you deal with the stares?

I feel odd in the winter if my heating vest wires are showing... :P I too get stares but it is winter and people wear vests.

I can only imagine how in the heat of the summer a vest makes you stand out.

I suppose if it helps you manage it is worth figuring out how to deal with nosey people comments.

Any medical device that allows one to get out to doctors, grocery stores, places of worship and the like must be considered mobility aids. They aid or allow us to have a fuller life and participate more in society. I went for 2 years without knowing that it was the heat that I could not tolerate and no one could explain to me what was going on. As another recent member posted, the recovery could take from 30 seconds to 3 weeks from one visit to a medical doctor - my brain was fried and, for me, having worked for years after being physically disabled, losing your ability to think on a seemingly random basis is the absolute worst. Just try to remember the Edward Albee play "Flowers for Algernon."

If walkers, cooling vests, glasses to drive the car, or whatever prosthetic you care to mention help us to get out of our temperature controlled environment and go to the medical professionals who should be able to help us, then we should make use of it. If we have our brain and ability to communicate then we can educate those around us.

Most people stare out of curiousity. I've gotten used to it. My favorite though was a young brother and sister in a doctor's waiting room--I'd been in there for an hour with adults staring at me, and as soon as these two kids came in and sat down, the older one (8 or 9 y.o.) asked "what's that" and pointed at the vest. I explained that my body doesn't know how to keep itself cool in the summer, so the vest does it for me. He then asked "does it hurt?" and I told him no, it made me feel pretty good. I let him and his sister see the cooling packs, touch them, and then he said to me "I hope you get better some day and don't need it anymore". Was a sweet moment. At that point, too, all the adults stopped staring. I always remember that when people stare--it's just because they're wondering what the heck I'm wearing and why.

Nina

HEnsor - Welcome. Gotta love your sense of humor. I agree, as long as you can afford it, you need to use every available tool that helps with your symptoms and enables you to do more, whether you look like Locutus or not :rolleyes:

When I ordered my vest two weeks ago it was 92 degrees here. I got it just a few days later but it hasn't gotten out of the 60's since! Maybe I'll raise the thermostat to 80 so I can try it out.

Nina - Awww. From the mouths of babes. Adults can learn a thing or two from them. A fun moment for me was when I went to the DMV to get a handicap placard and had to stand on line for 20 minutes, but I spent about 19 of those minutes squatting in line and shuffling forward. Not one word from anyone on either line, not even the security guard said anything, but he was staring mightily (this was before I got my POTS shirt). Finally when I got to the front of the line an old lady in the line next to me asked if I was OK, but only after I first caught her stare and smiled at her. It took about fifteen seconds to explain POTS to her in a nutshell, and of course everyone around us overheard, which instantly altered the way they were staring, from judgemental to inquisitive. They can't otherwise figure out on their own why we do such odd things in public and inevitably assume it's for a reason it is not.