Spinal Tap.

Has anyone else had a spinal tap and had low fluid pressure. Everywhere I look online low pressure means a blockage like Chairi. Just wondering if this is a POTS thing. The low pressure that is. My BP is high when I am standing and low when I am laying so I am wondering if the same is to be said for spinal fluid pressure. One of my worse symptoms is pressure in my head and back of the neck that radiates around to my ear and jaws. My hearing get bad and I am constantly trying to pop my ears to hear better.

Does anyone else have low spinal fluid pressure?

Thanks,

Mandi

I have also read that a CINE MRI is a good test to have done.

there is also a thing called low pressure hydrocephalus; there are a variety of tests, including an MRI that visualizes the size of the ventricles in your brain, as well as the position of the brain/brainstem. Sounds like you need a really good neurosurgeon who knows what testing to do for the various disorders that can cause low spinal pressure and to look over your history and work with you on testing.

Has anyone else had a spinal tap and had low fluid pressure. Everywhere I look online low pressure means a blockage like Chairi. Just wondering if this is a POTS thing. The low pressure that is. My BP is high when I am standing and low when I am laying so I am wondering if the same is to be said for spinal fluid pressure. One of my worse symptoms is pressure in my head and back of the neck that radiates around to my ear and jaws. My hearing get bad and I am constantly trying to pop my ears to hear better.

Does anyone else have low spinal fluid pressure?

Thanks,

Mandi

I have also read that a CINE MRI is a good test to have done.

YES, I was misdiagnosed with a condition called intracranial hypovolemia from a spontaneous cerebrospinal leak due to my orthostatic headaches (and all the other lovely symptoms that accompany my real diagnosis, POTS). My spinal pressure was unmeasurable at 2 different institutions. I underwent over 30 blood patches despite the fact that a leak was never visualized, and I did not have pachymeningeal enhancement on a brain MRI with contrast (a positive finding in 80% of csf leak cases). Later, after many failed attempts and 2 years lost, it was determined that I had severe hypovolemic POTS. Low blood volume or a state of dehydration can cause low spinal pressure. These syndromes are hard to differentiate. As the above poster mentioned a good neurosurgeon or neurologist can order a brain MRI with contrast. There is also a T2 weighted MRI that can detect some leaks. This technique is less invasive than a myelogram which requires another LP.