Beta Blockers?

EarthMother

I saw a cardiologist this afternoon and have a tilt table test scheduled for Monday morning. (I failed the last one back in 98 but no one seems to have those records any more :-(

His recommendation is to try inderal or another kind of beta blocker -- a real low dose to see if that will prevent the very high heart rates. I have a vague memory of trying a betablocker some 15 years ago and my sense was it lowered my heart rate too much and I felt worse.

But I've felt really horrid for the last five months .... so I'm game to try something ... anything.

Anyone have any info/experience on taking beta blocker for POTS.

Thanks!

EarthMother

I take a beta-blocker every day, and have for the last 5 years. Out of all the medications I've experimented with, the beta-blocker helps the most. Beta-blockers aren't for everyone, and some of the top dysautonomia docs think less is more when it comes to beta-blockers -meaning people often have a more beneficial effect on lower doses. I hope you find it helps!

Michelle

I have taken Sectral, but also found that it didn't help because it dropped my BP too much, and I feel better with a higher HR and stable BP. I was taking 400mg at one point, then cut back to 200mg- which, in relation to 5mg seems like a HUGE dose- is that how it works, or do different BB's work differently? Maybe my problems were more dose related than the actual med itself...just curious!!