Beta Blockers and Shortness of Breath

Too Young

Hello again. I am sorry that I have not participated since my recent joining on this site. I have read many of your questions and answers and find them invaluable. I was wondering if beta blockers help get rid of shortness of breath or if they just help your heart rate. I hope that everyone is doing well. Thanks for all of your help. I am so glad that I found this site.

Hi

I don't believe that beta blockers would affect shortness of breath. I have not found that to be the case. Beta blockers help by blocking the effect of adrenaline on your cardiovascular system and other systems as well.

You may feel short of breath due to hypovolemia (low blood volume). Try to increase your fluids and salt and see if that helps.

Katherine

Correct. beta blockers are for heart rate, not shortness of breath--as an asthmatic, I cannot take betablocker because they can make my breathing problems worse.

Nina

Do you know what your HR is like when you're getting the SOB symptoms? I had SOB when I first got POTS. I had trouble even talking or holding my head I think the reason for me was that my heart was working too hard to pump oxygen thought my body. For me, I think the beta blocker, salt, etc. have helped the SOB by slowing my heart down. I had some pretty bad symptoms from the beta blocker for the first week or so (including SOB), but they went away. I think it depends on the person, and maybe your dr can help you figure out whether a BB would help you.

Rita

• 1 month later...

I am on toprol 100mg a day (3wks now) and I am experiencing a lot of shortness of breath. I have a slow heart rate (40-60) and it actually stops when I pass out. I don't have tachycardia at all. They said that beta blockers would keep my heart rate regulated. I am not sure if the toprol is helping or not. I am really confused about what if anything works.

Hi, John. I'm confused. What was your heart rate like before you started the beta blockers? Were you tachycardic?

If you're passing out, it seems to me you wouldn't want to slow your heart rate (which is what bb are typically prescribed for--that and also as you say to regulate the heart rate for people with or without POTS who have palpitations etc). You'd want to increase your blood pressure through a variety of means--options include medicines (e.g., florinef) and also significantly increased salt and fluid intake.

What's up? (And were you diagnosed with Pots or NCS or another form of dysautonomia?)

Take care,

merrill

PS I just saw your other post (sorry bout that) -- and maybe this is the wrong place to say this, but "ditto" everything Morgan wrote there! If you're new to all this, may I say I'm sorry you've had to join us but glad too that you've found a Web site that has a lot to offer in terms of information about your condition and possible treatments to help your symptoms, allowing you a return to full functioning and hopefully a return to work in the near future. Many of us share your diagnosis--and get along OK much of the time, most of the time, or even all of the time. (That's the thing, though--it can take some time to find the right balance of lifestyle changes, dietary changes, and medical interventions that work right for you.) Keep reading, keep researching, and keep asking questions--of the forum regulars and of your doctors.