Small Fiber Neuropathy

dizzygirl

I recieved the results of skin biopsys Ihad done a few weeks ago, and it shows that I have small fiber neuropathy, I'm wondering is this a common occurance with dysautonomia?

I"m going to have a glucose tolerance test done before I head back to cleveland to further discuss my other test results,.and possible treatment...

SFN does explain some of my bizarre symtpoms that no one has been able to give me an answer for, but it doesnt cover all of em'...

But my main point in posting is I was wondering, as I said, if this was a common thing?? My dr Ive been seeing there believe it might actually be the cause of my dysautonomia...since it has never been figured out...

thanks..

Well it is one of the reasons, there are many, if you look under mechanisms and causes on the main dinet page.

I too had a positive skin biopsy for small fiber neuropathy. It seems that most of my autonomic function have been effected. Like Pots, small fiber autonomic neuropathy can be caused by several things. My neurologist did a bunch of other tests along side it to make sure they weren't causing. Most of the time it is idopathic, which means they believe it is autoimmune but they haven't be able to identify the autonimmunity yet.

I am actually starting a course of plasmapheresis today to see if we can pull the autoantibodies out of my blood and improve my symptoms. I had a catheter put in yesterday and will be doing the plasma two times a week for a month. If I improve then we will try to get the insurance to let me have IVIG to infuse new antibodies back into my body.

I don't know if it will work hate to even get my hopes up. If it doesn't work will be back to just trying to manage symptoms.

I guess I'm a bit of a pioneer on this one, as most here have just been treating symptoms and no one else here as done this kind of treatment yet. If it does work for me it may be an option for others with small fiber neuropathy.

I'd love to hear what your doctor has to offer you now that they have confirmed it.