Afrin Nose Spray?

Afrin was recommended to me by my doc who wouldn't allow me to have other decongestants because of possible effects on heart rate. I do fine on it and it is pretty effective.

Flonase on the other hand was a disaster. I didn't have ANS symptoms per say, but I lost my sense of smell for several weeks. Not only is it annoying, and affects taste, but it can be dangerous since you can't smell things like smoke or chemicals. I wouldn't recommend it for that reason, but I haven't used it since my POTs symptoms became more severe.

I use the 12 hour one. I have tried some of the other Afrin's and didn't like the formula as well. I usually use a neti pot before I use the Afrin and then only use the Afrin for the recommended three days but continue to use the neti pot to continue to clear up any remaining congestion. It works pretty well with colds and sinus infections unless you have a real humdinger.

I've used flonase forever..... i hve lost most my sense of smell : (

crapola, is it reversible? I thought it was because I worked in chlorine

pools heavy duty done ( public use ) .

I better go goggliegoo it now. Thanks better late than never.

bellamia~

flonase

Side effects may include:

Abdominal pain, aches and pains, agitation, aggression, anaphylactic reaction, back problems, bad taste in mouth, brittle bones, bronchitis, bruising, cataracts, congestion, cough, depression, diarrhea, dizziness, dry mouth, dry nose, eye problems, facial changes, fever, flu, headache, hives, hoarseness, indigestion, itching, loss of speech, mouth infection or swelling, nasal congestion, nasal irritation or burning, nasal sores, nausea, nosebleeds, rash, respiratory tract infection, runny nose, shortness of breath, sinus problems, sneezing, sore or irritated throat, stunted growth, swelling of the face and tongue, vomiting, weight gain, wheezing, worsening of asthma

I think I'll go back to salt water spray homemade for my nose.

;P bellamia~

yeah after reading the very LONG list of flonase side effects I decided not to take it. Its just not worth it and even if i were to manage not to have symptoms my head would trick me into thinking i was LOL.

i just worry because i have had this sinus stuff for a while and i hear those crazy stories of it going to your brain! i guess i am a hypochondriac but that seems really scary.

And i dont feel comfortable to keep taking antibiotics because i have gone through 4 rounds in the past 6 months.

• 1 month later...

I've used both Afrin and Flonase sprays and never had any reactions to either of them. I have bad allergies, and so I take the Flonase almost daily, and the Afrin for a week or so if necessary when I'm traveling and my nose gets plugged up. Nothing worse than a stuff nose and breathing out of your mouth - yuck!

You could also try Nasonex - my allergist switched me from Flonase to Nasonex because (according to him) it causes fewer side effects. It's a little more expensive though, because it isn't yet available in a generic version.

I would also consider pseudoephedrine (Sudafed). It's a stimulant and can raise your heart rate, but it's also a vasoconstrictor that has been used to _treat_ POTS (it's mentioned in one of Dr. Grubbs' books). I've personally never had a negative reaction to it, and it definitely helps with my nasal congestion.

I took Nasonex for about 6 months in the summer for about 3 years. The only side effect I had was sometimes I would get a minor nose bleed. It doesn't start working for a week or so, so it isn't instant relief.

I will take Afrin when I have a cold that is so bad I can't sleep because I can't breathe. I put one spray (instead of the recommended two) in ONE side of my nose. Then the next night, one spray in the other side. That way I can breathe out of one side and I can use it more than 3 days without getting withdrawal.

I like to drink stuff after using either med because they do go down the back of my throat and leave a taste otherwise.

For those of you who do well on Afrin, do you have very easily stimulated adrenaline-like responses? I have serious problems with my ears when I fly, but am too scared to try Afrin because even half of a cup of 99.5% decaf coffee sets me off with high heart rate, tremors and anxiety.

I use Omnaris right now which helps a lot. But I still have a lot of problems when flying, and I have another flight coming up in two weeks that I am very nervous about.

• 7 years later...

I have hyperadrenergic Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome  and just was given Lidocaine mixed with Afrin for a sinus visualization procedure and within 1 min experienced severe anxiety, HR elevation and mild shortness of breath. I have the same effects with coffee as well so must be careful to only half one half cafe if that. I have use Flonase Sensimist (fragrance free one) with no issues, it was very effective after 3days use.