Insurance Has Changed My Generic Midodrine - Again! Frustrated!

Hello Everyone -

I've survived using Global and Apotex Midodrine. They seem to work fine and my body handled them.

I just received my new 90-day supply and my insurance has changed to Upsher-Smith and the Midodrine are purple. I am so upset about this. This is their 'new supplier' and they said they sent a letter that a 'few' generics might be changing but most people probably would not be affected. Of course I am.

Looking through the boards, I don't even see any information on this Generic provider of Midodrine. I cannot believe they can do this to us (and I cannot get brand name if a generic is available under any circumstances - yeah for health care plans).

I didn't need more stress this month, but it keeps coming. Has anyone heard of this manufacturer? I am so annoyed and can't do much. If it doesn't work I won't be able to function as well. I still have older Midodrine to use up, but will have to use this soon enough.

Does this happen to anyone else?

That kept happening with my zoloft. I think I ended up using 4 different generics. My body did not handle the changes at all. My former insurance company didnt cover brand if generics were available either, but I couldnt take it anymore so we just started paying for brand out of pocket. I think all of the switches between generics contributed to zoloft not working for me anymore. When my dr switched me to celexa, I specified from the get to that I wanted brand only. Luckily, my new insurance co covers brand just with a higher co pay. Good luck!

My doctor has written MUST HAVE then gets prior approval and it always goes through. Try it!

Bellamia~*

April - Isn't it frustrating? I hope for new insurance (another reason I am looking for work)...but yes, I hear generics are even more problematic in SSRI/SNRI, epilepsy and birth control. At least from my research. From what I understand - the generic Midodrine could be 80% - to 120% of 'effective' dose. There's wiggle room in generics. And I can see that being quite bad for something like Zoloft. I guess I'll know when I try and adjust from there.

Bella - My insurance won't do that - I was able to do that with a prior one, though. It is clearly in the big legal plan that no brand coverage is available. Of course, this is why we need health care reform! But yes, I wish I could stay on the same GENERIC at least and will make my current batch last as long as possible and have to deal with adjustments.

I'm really sorry and sad for your situation. I wish I had my magic wand handy and I fix this whole wide world, but going over the stairs and washing my hair did me in for the night. Would you settle for some ((((((((HUGS)))))))) till I talk with our president about our health care mess. Something has to workout real soon for everyone.

love,

bellamia~*

The health care show down is in it's final hours, just announced on TV as I was ending this post.

I wonder what will happen in my state where everyone is required to have insurance.

I had not heard of an insurance company issuing a specific generic... thought they just dealt with $ caps & such and reimbursement to a pharmacy for whatever they stocked. Seem to be new twists every day. Midodrine generics don't seem much cheaper than non-generics when I look them up. Did Upsher-Smith make a breakthrough or price-war or something?

Quite true that generics are pushed more and more. Sometimes a pharmacy is required to substitute generics (varies by state). Cutting costs is very "en vogue" it seems. Making a case for exception to your plan's policy will likely be challenging when "official government certification" defines "medical equivalency" and when state laws & momentum are biased toward generics. How does one then argue subtleties with these bureaucracies? Not really my cup of tea.

Dysautonomia & related conditions are a wee-bit out of the mainstream :). I personally don't expect much if things shift even further toward bureaucracy than they already are. Boy, it took a life struggle and dumb luck to get 2 people to believe me that something was legitimately fishy. I finally did that and now I might have to convince an entire government bureaucracy? Too big a fight. I opt out! I'll just cop to a beefy psych diagnosis and ask to be gently "zoned out".

I have not heard of that mfg but I go thru the same thing. I finally had to start paying for my meds to get name brand. That isn't easy when on Medicare & my check is barely enough to cover insurance. I'm allergic to some dyes, especially red, & when my generic changed from white to red I refused them. What really bugs me is they add so many things to the meds that isn't necessary.