Gi Issues And Pots

Hello Everyone,

Wondering what GI issues you have with POTS and how you remedy them. I seem to have a slow bowel that has gradually worsened, along with abdominal swelling and pain, especially after work in the evenings. Fiber seems to actually INCREASE my symptoms of constipation and swelling, so that's out. I have started a probiotic which helps a little. I have tried magnesium tablets, which bloat me even more. I don't want to resort to harsh laxatives. I am mindful about drinking enough water. I am about at my wit's end. Very frustrated! Any suggestions welcome.

Hi Lauren,

I know you said you've tried magnesium, but which type? I have gastroparesis along with IBS and it having the same problem as you. I find that the magnesium citrate by Solgar works great with no bloating or gas. I take 400mgs (they are 200mg tablets and you might want to start on 200mg just to see how it goes). I too found fiber to be causing bloating. I also find a small glass of prune juice helpful.

Good luck and hope you feel better.

Rene

Have you tried Miralax?

My son has similar bowel problems: his GI transit time is unbelievably slow. Based on what we've been told, you're smart to avoid fiber. When the autonomic system is at the root of a slow bowel (as it is with POTS), then fiber doesn't help--it just gums things up further.

My son has gotten the best relief from Mestinon, a prescription med that many patients take now for POTS. It helps somewhat with his fatigue, dizziness, and heart rate, and is particularly helpful with increasing bowel mobility. It doesn't work for everyone, but you might want to ask your doctor about it. Good luck! Debby

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

Rene: I was actually taking a magnesium/calcium powder from Kal that you mix with water... tastes like raspberry lemonade, but wow... causes abdominal distention. I ordered a bottle of Oxy Powder to try next. If it causes unpleasant symptoms, I will switch to magnesium citrate as you have suggested. Thank you!

Broken_Shell: No, I haven't tried Miralax. Is it something that can be taken long-term? Any side effects?

Shadesofgrey49: I was taking ALIGN at my Gastroenterologist's suggestion. It is expensive. It is supposed to work well with IBS symptoms. It did help some. I have switched to PB-8 by Nutrition Now. It also seems to help some. It is sometimes difficult to tell though, as some days my symptoms are worse than others. I also try to stick with small, frequent meals.

spaceorca: I am not familiar with Mestinon. It sounds promising! Are most physicians hesitant in prescribing it? I am not sure if my Gastroenterologist is familiar with POTS. I have only seen him once for abdomen pain/distention. He only had me take ALIGN and eat yogurt more frequently, along with fiber tablets. The fiber tablets made my symptoms WORSE! Not a good time - LOL! Thanks for the suggestion. I will ask my physician about it.

now mestion makes me worse believe it or not... I bloat more, goes through me more and I thought Potss was called Pots because you're on the pot all the time.

i have to take it though... and it has helped my rt eye lid from dropping.

Oh well, whatever helps...

BellaMia~ :unsure:

Hummingbird,

I used Miralax for years and didn't have any major side effects or problems. I took less than the recommended dose and adjusted the amount each day based on my bowel function. There has been some discussion on the forum about Miralax in the past, but it is not absorbed and stays in the GI tract, so it may be worth a trial using a very small dose. In the past, I had severe constipation and was helped by and able to tolerate very small doses of Senna. One other thought, have you tried taking Fish Oil? That always increased my bowel activity. Good luck!

Broken Shell