Menstruating

valliali

I know this is a common topic, but I am wondering if anyone else's menstrual habits have changed dramatically? Mine used to be as predictable as plain vanilla, but now they all over the place. Before I got sick, I stopped menstruating when I first moved to Africa. I chalked it up to losing a lot of weight at first, I was placed on the pill and my menstrual cycle returned to normal. It was three months later that my first symptoms began - panic attacks, feeling hot and red all the time, major facial flushing out of nowhere and tachy. It all seemed very hormonal to me so I immediately stopped the pill, only to develop a massive ovarian cyst that ruptured and put me in the hospital b/c I went into shock.

Because I really still have no diagnosis other than "some kind of autonomic dysfunction", I always wonder if my problems aren't some hormonal problem. I just don't know how else I could have been 100% healthy, got placed on the pill, and then had these out of nowhere issues. I didn't have a virus or anything else that could seem to lead to dysuatonomia.

But anyways, about the periods. For awhile now, mine involve a lot of pretty heavy spotting for about two weeks before my period. I pretty much have to live like I'm on my period for three weeks every month. But then I get a pretty heavy and regular period so the spotting is very different. I've also noticed the pain of my periods has increased quite a great deal, and I also feel very very very hot during my periods. I sweat a lot and feel on fire, but my body temp will be around 96.5. My boyfriend even says my skin is hot to the touch, when I'm usually freezing cold. I also get a great deal more anxious and more heart palpitations.

I saw a gyno, had an ultrasound and was ruled normal for endometerial tissue. I have had hormones tested, always normal.

Anyone else?? Has anyone else wondered if their dysautonomia could be a result of a hormonal problem?

I have such a time with my periods. They used to be exactly 32 days apart, and the first 3 days were fairly heavy (I would go through a regular tampon every 4 hours) and the last two were pretty light. Now, they are no more than 28 days apart, and the first 3 days are VERY heavy (like a super tampon every 2 hours, and sometimes I'll wear a liner to catch any leaks) with a lot of clotting. I also have a heck of a time with PMS. Used to, I would NEVER have any PMS symptoms (except maybe a small skin break out), but now, I can barely move between the pain (such horrible cramping!!!) and the exhaustion. I suspect that I might have some hormone issues, with both the wacky periods, and now I'm almost constantly having some skin issues (why, oh why couldn't I have had the acne when I was a teenager???), and now I have grown a small mustache. All hormone tests I've had have been normal, and although I do have a recurring ovarian cyst, it is very small. Also my POTS symptoms get so much worse when I'm PMSing. I am going to be in the process of learning about Natural Family Planning (basically charting exactly where I am in my cycle and how to get a basic idea of how my hormone levels are based upon body temperatures and other bodily signs), so I could maybe see exactly where in my cycle everything is going haywire and then maybe I could get specific testing done on specific days to check hormone levels, and then hopefully can get some specific treatments based upon those results.

I have noticed that my periods are worse. Ive always been very very regular. I wouldnt say im irregular now, but I can be a week early or a week late, when I was every 28 days before. They used to only last 3-5 days and be pretty simple. No bad cramping, no PMS. Just an inconvience once a month. NOW.........the day before it starts, and for 1-2 days after, I feel like im in labor the cramps are so bad. Super heavy flow. Its terrible. And they last 7-8 days now. But its like it will be here for 6 days, get 1 day off, and then more for 1-2 days. More often then not, I get sick the days leading into it too. Like vomiting and such. It ***** being female :(

Kelli