General Anesthesia And How It Affects Us

Rene S.

What a week of pure ****. I was diagnosed about a month ago with an aneurysm on my right optical artery. I was told to follow up with either a CT Scan, Angiogram or another MRA with contrast. The neurosurgeon wasn't too concerned but did say that even if it were small it could rupture.

Long story short - I was at the cardio on Monday and had the most wicked headache. I told her that it was progessing since 3 days prior. She told me to head right to Thomas Jefferson Hospital since they are known for their amazing Neurology dept.

Get there, Monday evening around 7 -ER room so crowded but they bring me in right away. Rushed to CAT scan, no visable bleed. Next they want to do a lumbar puncture but I thought it was a bit much since they were admitting me to do a inter cranial angiogram the next day.

Of course, I had lots of questions. I was scared especially since I needed to be prepped being allergic to the contrast dye.

Met with one of the anesthesioligst, who assured me that I would be in twilight sleep and that I wouldn't need general anesthesia.

Well, I get prepped taken into th OR and have a nasty anesthesiologist who explains nothing. Next thing I know, I'm back in my room, a foley cath inserted - ouch! and my throat is beyond sore. They wound up putting me under and intubating me. They thought they would have to do an intervention procedure but the aneursym was smaller than they thought and in a difficult place to get to. So, we're to watch it.

Now comes the fun part. Apparently my b/p went a bit high and the nurse gave me an injection of hydrolozine (sp?) My heart rate takes off. She then after about 20 mins gives me a dose of lopressor and heart rate comes down and bp plummets. After 3.5 hrs of sitting due to the fact that they inserted a catheter in my groin, I was allowed to get up. Felt lousy, could not swallow. Heart rate that night remained at 125-130. Grrr. I hadn't eaten for two days nor slept. My throat remained inflamed and swollen and no food allowed. 25 tubes of blood must have been taken during my time there. Still no sleep.

Ready to leave on Thurs. Heart rate still high 116. The cardio says I can live with it, but because I'm so thin I feel it more than anyone else would. Baloney!

Now as I sit here, I'm still not doing well. Heart rate at rest, 90-100. Walking up to 140. Vision is blurred which I noticed after the procedure. They assured me that my eyes were fine. That perhaps it was due to dry eyes.

I said this would be short, sorry it's longer than I intended.

Has anyone else had any weird experiences from going under general anesthesia with our condition? Or a very rapid pulse? I've literally been in bed since Thurs since standing brings my h/r to 140 and showering today was a major chore. I did take a small dose of metoprolol which brings my h/r to 88 but not for long. I feel like I was run over by a truck. I'm trying to stay hydrated and eat, but it's hard when you can't swallow. I can't even walk down the road to the mailbox.

I believe my body was majorly traumatized and that I should not have been knocked out. I was too thin and too weak to begin with.

I pray that this is just a passing thing but I feel more like an invalid than ever.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Rene

They found out that I have an enzyme problem related to regular anesthesia but it doesn't sound anything like what happened to you. I'm not sure what happened to my heart rate and blood pressure when I was under for my wisdom teeth removal because the enzyme problem was so big (I was paralyzed because my body couldn't break down the anesthesia as fast as it should) we didn't cover anything else. That and I hadn't been diagnosed with POTS or dysautonomia yet.

Oof! Sounds like you had a rough week. Sorry to say me too... but much less serious than what you've got going on. Goodness gracious. Maybe try a different hospital next time? If you can go and establish yourself as a patient at one of the downtown Philly hospitals, maybe even still Jeff, then maybe you'd get better treatment with anesthesia if you have staff there who already know you that your team can quickly consult with? Just a thought. Fortunately for me, my ER and inpatient experiences were pretty good, even if I've had 3 syncopal events today.

Wow- so sorry for all you've been through, Rene. Yes, general anesthesia will most definitely throw us off for a while. Rest, rest, rest. Don't try to jump back into your routine too soon.

Gentle Hugs-

Julie

if i were you, and this is what i do when i feel at my worst.

i load up on REAL fruit juice and fluids, nutrient full foods and i give it about 5 days.

i drink odwalla super food micronutrient on days where i get alot of headaches. seemingly helps since it has alot of stuff in it, potasium magnesium even riboflavin i believe... i use that and boltfarm fruit juice the one with blueberries in it. that has alot of riboflavin.

i dont take anything for my symtoms, i just hydrate, rest and eat well. if i dont stay on track i get alot of issues..

rest rest rest. i am sure those medications threw your whole system out of wack ... and im sure not eating well or drinking well didnt help what so ever!!!

-jessica

Thanks everyone for your responses and support. I'm still dealing with a horrible rapid heart beat. At rest, it's between 90 and 95. I feel it pulsating in my head. I'm getting concerned, but when I called the surgeon on Friday they said go to the ER. Right. Like what will they do for me there?

And Nina I did go to Jeff and explained about the autonomic dysfunction. I don't think they knew what I was talking about.

Walking around is worse h/r is about 120-140. I'm just miserable. Besides the soreness of where they inserted the catheter I'm dizzy and weak and trying my best to stay hydrated. I'm furious at them for knocking me completely out and not giving me nourishment for 3 days. Sorry bags of saline don't cut it.

Does anyone know what is causing my heart to race at rest? Is it just from exhaustion? The procedure?

Just getting extremely frustrated.

Thanks,

Rene

Hi Rene,

If they had to premedicate you, that might explain a lot. Steroids make my heart race terribly. And coming off them is not pretty.

maybe they overhydrated you, just a thought.

is your urin clear at all?

stay with it, rest, relax. it may take many days for the medications to leave your body. and i am sure the stress of the whole entire situation is adding to the anxiety and heart race.

i know when i am really stressed i have shortness of breath and my heart rate feels elevated.

also, did they give you morphine or anything for your headache? they did to me once and that had me at bed rest for about 5 days.

edit: oh and to add. maybe, if you trust your primary doctor, they can do a blood test to rule out potassium problems or any other weird level they may see.

Thank you both. Michelle, I know we've discussed before about the steroid prep. Grrr. It was weird, I did 40mg of solmedrol 12 hrs before the procedure then again in 12 hours. Normally I've done it wher 120mg is used. They wanted me to continue that night after the procedure but I refused it. I never had it like that before. And they wanted to continue the benadryl which I also said no to.

Still almost 6 days out and I still feel awful. I have no strength, no appetite and am unable to sleep. I think this has seriously caused a major problem with an already messed up ANS. Had I known I was to be put under, I would have said no thanks!

fc3, I don't think I was overhydrated if anything, under. I couldn't even swallow ice chips for three days and even now it hurts to swallow after being intubated. I'm trying to stay hydrated. I spoke with my cardio last night and she thinks that it just is taking longer for my body to get rid of this junk. She told me from not eating for 3 days, lack of sleep and lack of water can cause this. I'm pushing fluids but still feel awful. I hope this isn't a permanent condition.

My urine is clear now that I am home and drinking. I have to say that I probably don't get enough fluids because I don't feel thirsty but I learned that I have to force myself.

They did test my potassium levels in the hospital and they were a bit low so they were giving me iv fluids with potassium in it.

Just wonder when I won't feel the need to be bedbound anymore. i walked to my mailbox down the road yesterday and I was huffing and puffing like an old person. Sheesh. No morphine. I'm allergic to most narcotics.

Thanks for your responses!

Rene

well sounds like you got a grasp on whats been going on with your body which is a good thing. just keep your hopes high.

i remember when i got out of the ER from having a bad migraine i thought the meds they gave me had given me permanent side effects. but sure enough after a while i began feeling normal again.

<3

-jessica

Thanks, Jessica,

I wonder if I'll ever feel right again or what I felt prior to the procedure. I just can't get a grip on feeling so lousy. I don't want to decondition even more but I can't seem to get my tush out of the bed.

Trying to eat lots of fruits, juices and ensures since my throat is still so sore.

Take care and thanks for the encouraging words.

Rene

Have had MAJOR symptoms for months after general anesthesia. It does get better eventually but it takes FOREVER!! Heart racing, tremor, laryngitis for months, weak, fatigue, breathing like I'm climbing a mountain just from walking across my kitchen, GI stuff, headaches.... the whole nine yards. The first surgery it took 3 months and at best I felt like I got about 90% back to normal (on good days). Since I had surgery last July, I just finally started back to work 1/2 days last week. On good days now I think I'm back to 90% of the 90% I was pre-op. On bad days.... it's still rather pathetic!

Sorry for the lousy experience you had! Hope you can keep drinking and resting and doing whatever little bit you feel up to doing. For me, it was like being stuck in the movie "Groundhog Day", where I seem to keep repeating the whole lousy day/situation over and over and over and over. :(

One of the things that kept me sane was that rather than trying to see a day-to-day improvement, I had to look back a week (or sometimes 2 or 3) and say, "ok, today doesn't seem better than yesterday, but I do seem to be better than last week, or 2 weeks ago... at least for these 2 hours". At that point ANY progress needed to be celebrated!

Hope you're feeling better SOON!

Have had MAJOR symptoms for months after general anesthesia. It does get better eventually but it takes FOREVER!! Heart racing, tremor, laryngitis for months, weak, fatigue, breathing like I'm climbing a mountain just from walking across my kitchen, GI stuff, headaches.... the whole nine yards. The first surgery it took 3 months and at best I felt like I got about 90% back to normal (on good days). Since I had surgery last July, I just finally started back to work 1/2 days last week. On good days now I think I'm back to 90% of the 90% I was pre-op. On bad days.... it's still rather pathetic!

Sorry for the lousy experience you had! Hope you can keep drinking and resting and doing whatever little bit you feel up to doing. For me, it was like being stuck in the movie "Groundhog Day", where I seem to keep repeating the whole lousy day/situation over and over and over and over. :)

One of the things that kept me sane was that rather than trying to see a day-to-day improvement, I had to look back a week (or sometimes 2 or 3) and say, "ok, today doesn't seem better than yesterday, but I do seem to be better than last week, or 2 weeks ago... at least for these 2 hours". At that point ANY progress needed to be celebrated!

Hope you're feeling better SOON!

Chaos, you are describing my symptoms to a t!!! heart racing, the laryngitis (one week today since I was intubated) tremors that won't stop. I feel as if my adrenaline is on overdrive. I can barely stand up and the shortness of breath just going up steps is exactly as you describe. I just wonder when it's going to end???? I tried to get the trash out the other day and was able to drag two bags out and called it quits. Also, I've noticed that I'm exhausted but can't sleep????

I'm sorry that you had to go through this as well. But I so appreciate you sharing what you went through. I guess we don't recover like "normal" people.

Rene

Dear Sweet Rene~

I am so sorry to hear that you're still suffering from the consequences of your intubation and anesthesia. It sounds like it may be a little longer before you get back to your "pre-anesthetic" self. Try to rest as much as possible, keep eating, and don't use your voice unless you have to! I hope that someday soon you'll have the answers to your illness you need.

Your Little Sis, Jana

Thanks sweet Jana. Hope you are doing better. Yes, I'm trying not to talk and eating soft foods is all I can manage. Just cleaned toilets (what fun!) and felt like I ran a marathon. Tired of sitting in bed all day. Making sure that I'm not laying, but rather than sitting. I swear someone hit me with a ton of bricks.

I don't know why recovery is so long.

Love you, feel better.

Rene

"Chaos, you are describing my symptoms to a t!!! heart racing, the laryngitis (one week today since I was intubated) tremors that won't stop. I feel as if my adrenaline is on overdrive. I can barely stand up and the shortness of breath just going up steps is exactly as you describe. I just wonder when it's going to end???? I tried to get the trash out the other day and was able to drag two bags out and called it quits. Also, I've noticed that I'm exhausted but can't sleep????

I'm sorry that you had to go through this as well. But I so appreciate you sharing what you went through. I guess we don't recover like "normal" people.

Rene

Precisely!! I kept thinking, "I just need to get a good night's sleep and I'll feel better." But then I couldn't fall asleep! I'd be so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open (day or night) but couldn't sleep for anything. Talk about frustrating!

And I'd think, I just need to eat a bit more to get some energy, but 3 bites and I'd be full and so short of breath, I was exhausted just from that. Honestly, there were some meals where just sitting at the table, I was so exhausted and short of breath, that I'd just lift my arm onto the table, sink my body down low enough to get my mouth to plate level and just kind of scrape the food across the plate to get a couple bites in. (My husband and kids found it very entertaining since I'm usually a stickler for table manners. :rolleyes: )

For me, it was a couple months like this, although I'd have a few hours here and there when I'd think "ok, this is it, I've finally turned the corner".. just to be back to square one a couple hours later. Had surgery July 17th and by the end of October I was excited because I could walk in the grocery store standing upright instead of leaning on the basket and shuffling like an old lady. Then had a relapse, or at least another episode of fever etc (nov. 1st) that knocked me right back and it took until the beginning of March to feel like I could handle half days at work.

Hope your episode won't last nearly so long but here's wishing you all kinds of patience as you go thru this!! I'm sorry for your experience but somewhat relieved to hear that somebody else has had this experience too.

Fondly,

Cheri

I think that I've always had POTS (just didn't know what it was at the time), but it was fairly mild (a few cases of presyncope a month, always tired, and had mild orthostatic tachycardia)... until I had my first knee surgery, and everything got much worse. I was much more tired all of the time, and had increasing periods of tachycardia and presyncope, but I didn't know that it was related to the surgery, so I went ahead and had my other knee operated on this past November, and well, it's been **** since then. There have been some days that if I get out of bed, it's a major miracle! I know the surgeries and the general anesthesia didn't cause the POTS, but I am sure that it made everything that much worse. I still am not completely back to where I was before the surgeries, but slowly and day after day it seems to get somewhat better, although I have had a few relapses since then.

So sorry Ericka,

I feel just awful. I'm now salting (which is something I never did before!!) due to my b/p dropping. Usually it's high. I'm kind of scared and will give it till tomorrow before I really start to panic. I have zero appetite but am pushing fluids and ensures. This is so scary. I never would have gone through with this had I known I was being put under general anesthesia.

I just want to get back to my pre-surgery self - and I thought that was bad!!!!

Thanks for letting me know that this will get better, I hope!

Rene

Firstly, I'm sorry to read about the **** you're going through at the moment. I have still not been diagnosed but I found this so interesting because, although I had had occasional unexplained weakness and chest pain and near fainting, my problems worsened and became more frequent immediately after surgery I had in November 2008. It's so strange because I couldn't see any connection to the surgery but when I had to think of a time when it had all started I always said it was after the surgery. Now I'm wondering if that was the cause. It's all gone downhill since then and it took me so long to get back to normal afterwards and my consultant found it strange that I should have been feeling so awful. Christmas was a blur for me and I couldn't even do my own shopping until January! He said I was just run down and people do get like that after surgery, of course, I just went along with that. I have learned a valuable lesson since then - never just take a doctor's word for it and never assume they know best. Not referring to the consultant of course as he wouldn't have known anything apart from what I went in hospital for. I'm referring to my GP who has actually made my life a misery and made me feel like I was mad!

Thank God for this site is all I can say.

Best wishes to you.

Deb x

I'm totally in a quandry. my b/p has been super low for me up until an hour ago. All of a suddden, just sitting on the computer my heart takes off, and I can't breathe. Take b/p 155/75 hr 120!!!!! Adrenaline surge???? Scared me for sure. It lasted about 2 mins but I'm shaking like a leaf now.

This is getting more and more frustrating. I wish I would have known that general anesthesia is a no no for us! I'm furious.

Rene

There was about a 3 week period where I could not eat... I had NO appetite, and in fact I was so nauseous that just the though of food would make me about hurl. I didn't do the Ensure route.. but I had tonnes of ice cream and yogurt as that was the only thing that didn't make my stomach churn to think of.

Ericka, I can relate to not being able to eat. I'm so sick to my stomach. Haven't felt this bad since I was diagnosed with gastroparesis. A good friend came over last night and she meant well, cooked dinner so I was forced to eat it. It was turkey burgers with mashed potatoes but I felt so sick afterwards. She made the burgers in oil with lots of onion and garlic and I'm still feeling the effects today. I know I have to eat, but this morning so far I've barely managed an Ensure, banana and a few bites of a muffin. Hope this feeling doesn't last another two weeks.

Sorry that you had to go through this too.

I still can't figure out how a one day procedure can mess up my body so. My throat is still sore and raspy from when I was intubated. Enough is enough.

Be well.

Rene