How Many Of Us Have Some Sort Of Svt/etc.??

mvdula

JUst wondering since it seems like a lot of us have/have had some sort of irregular heartbeat...PSVT, etc. Some have had ablations, some have not - I still wonder if my ablation contributed to my POTS (I have read how the sinus node ablations do, but otherwise they do not). Still trying to trace cause/onset. Very healthy.....about 30 yrs old and after 3 children, over the next few years in order: Migraines (monthly b4 period) ...........PSVT.............palpitations............at some point, dental novocaine starts to make me feel weird/wrong and I find out it has a med similar to adrenaline in it........................ablaton for PSVT.........pregnancy (harder than the other 3 pregs, which were a breeze, - tons of palps, odd, etc)............epidural (have had before) made my arms feel dead, I was very hot, and totally panicked for 2 hrs..................felt great while nursing................(seeming) POTS onset w/ tapering of breastfeeding (baby about 9 months-12months) - major heat intolerance/awful weak & revvy spells....visits to various Drs....finally my saint of a cardio-electro sent who literally wiped my tears away and sent me to Dr Grubb.

Guess I'm just spilling my med history here...thanks for reading!

I had SVT and was ablated 2xs. Then I was dx with IST and had the sinus node mod. done. Now dx with POTS. Im thinking the ablasions and the modifaication made things worse, b/c Ive just been getting sicker. oh well, nothing we can do about it now. I will say though that the first ablasion I had done, did help. I stopped going over 200 bpm and fainting from that.

~Kelli

Guest tearose

I do have SVT (going upstairs, when bp is low, when fatigued or fighting a cold...) and only if uncompressed and standing still do I trigger a PSVT. This PSVT was finally captured on my last TTT at Mayo...needless to say, it was my LAST TTT!

Since all my treatment is without medication, I have learned how to sense my heartrate and bp and manage to avoid SVT. (This knowledge came from years of using a hr monitor and taking my bp) I have to get my bp up slowly in the morning and then get into compression. I am sensibly active with carefully allowing time to recharge after activity.

Excess exercise exertion is like taking a glass of alcohol and often causes me arrhythmia which then increases my chance for SVT and relapse can be right behind. I try to walk two to three times a week minimum or do some house activity to keep in good muscle tone and good condition.

Regarding SVT and ablations...although one was recommended for me prior to the dx of POTS, Mayo said absolutely it would not have worked for me and it was good for me to seek another opinion.

From my limited understanding, some who have had ablations which did not help them, they may do better once a pacer is put in. I suppose it depends on how your heart is managing after the ablation that this is decided.

I wish you steady, strong, regular rhythm!

tearose

I had an SVT more than two years before I had real POTS symptoms I noticed. My heart got stuck over 250 one day for no reason. Just 'stuck.'

My EP says he's fairly certain the ablation didn't make things worse/cause things as he's done a lot of them. My original issue wasn't POTS - my heart just got stuck and I remember feeling it flip and just not get back into the right mode, if that makes sense. It was super fast but steady. Still at 260 and stuck you can't really move much, breath, etc. :P

Yes, Cat Lady, that's how my SVT was - twice - and that was enough for me. It must have been 250 or over - the first time I stopped it by holding my breath, apparently by instinct, since I knew nothing of such things at that time - the second time I couldn't stop it and the EMTs helped me bring it down by vagal manuevers. I remember them saying something like 250 or 275. Mine started out of the blue - stuck - once when bending for the dryer, once when beinding to put a towel on my hair after showering - heat & bending over, sound familiar? BUT, I felt absolutely fine during both episodes. The EMTs made me sit down to hook me up, etc and I was like why, I feel fine.

I have a friend who I recently found out also has PSVT (also from bending over), but has had it since her teens - and knows how to stop it (tho she did end up in the ER once for meds). She does not have POTS tho.

I just want to know what the link is. My POTS and apparently yours, Cat Lady, started a couple years after the SVTs started........there has to be some clue there.

Could others respond if they have a similar pattern?\ Started SVT or something similar in adult life, then POTS at some point (months, years) after.

Yes, Cat Lady, that's how my SVT was - twice - and that was enough for me. It must have been 250 or over - the first time I stopped it by holding my breath, apparently by instinct, since I knew nothing of such things at that time - the second time I couldn't stop it and the EMTs helped me bring it down by vagal manuevers. I remember them saying something like 250 or 275. Mine started out of the blue - stuck - once when bending for the dryer, once when beinding to put a towel on my hair after showering - heat & bending over, sound familiar? BUT, I felt absolutely fine during both episodes. The EMTs made me sit down to hook me up, etc and I was like why, I feel fine.

I have a friend who I recently found out also has PSVT (also from bending over), but has had it since her teens - and knows how to stop it (tho she did end up in the ER once for meds). She does not have POTS tho.

I just want to know what the link is. My POTS and apparently yours, Cat Lady, started a couple years after the SVTs started........there has to be some clue there.

Could others respond if they have a similar pattern?\ Started SVT or something similar in adult life, then POTS at some point (months, years) after.

It does make me wonder. I was actually sitting down folding some laundry when I had my bad one. I tried to stop it from basic breathing/relaxation techniques but nothing worked so I had to call 911. The EMTs couldn't get it down so they threw on the sirens and the ER doctor had to give me medication to reboot it, as I say.

I had an ablation a couple months later and haven't had a 'stuck' SVT. Just the fun POTS!

I also have a PSVT, triggered purely by adrenaline (ie, after tea, exercise, anxiety, etc). I've since learned and cut out any possible stimulant, which has really helped keep them at bay. My PSVTs manifest as panic attacks - I am not sure if they trigger a panic attack or if the panic attack triggers the PSVT. Either way, it's a double whammy and enough to seriously make me lose my mind.

My TTT was what triggered my first PSVT. The isuprel infusion. I had a negative TTT for heart rate and blood pressure changes, but when I was lowered and the isuprel was stopped, bam! My doctor diagnosed me with POTS (yet, despite the increase in heart rate) because he said my parasympathetic nervous system wasn't braking, and my heart revved up. Weird thing was that ever since the tilt, I had this PSVT - but never before. It's like once I had one, the electrical systems changed.