Nasal Steroid Spray

I have been prescribed Omnaris, which is a steroidal nasal spray, for chronic esutachian tube dysfunction. My ears are almost always clogged or need to be popped, which is usually just a little annoying, except for when I fly. Then it crosses to horrible discomfort and pain. It is speculated that I have these issues due to a deviated septum, though I have had the deviated septum for many years and have only begun to have the ear problems since I became sick so of course I wonder if the problems correlate to my overall health issues. Nonetheless, I am preparing to fly again in a couple of weeks, and I already have incredibly flight anxiety as it is, and worrying about my ears only compounds the anxiety. I have not tried the spray yet because I am too scared of that as well!!! I have had so many bad reactions by putting things into my body and I just don't know if I can't handle another medication! I was assured that the nasal spray should have no effect on my heart or ANS, but I am wondering if anyone else has used this? Does it help? Are there side effects?

I use it daily for the same reason. Flying is very hard for me too, so is driving in the mountains. I recall that my ENT recommended some med ??? before flying to alleviate discomfort. Ask yours about this. The steroid nasal spray needs to be used daily to get a good result. Start now. There are NO side effects.

I have started using Wilsons Solution (antibiotics in a saline mixture) in an Neti Pot daily. No great effects yet. I was able to tolerate it surprisingly well.

Best of luck-

Julie

I've used nasal steroids in sprays on and off for many years. For me the only downside was that you can taste the medicine after squirting it up your nose so have a flavoured drink handy! I haven't had any ANS side-effects at all. At the moment I am using steroid nasal drops (higher dose than the sprays) and can really feel the improvement in my allergies.

As you are flying soon I would start using the spray right away and use it everyday until you get home again. Steroids work by reducing inflammation but they need to be used for at least a week to get the full benefit and then daily to keep the swelling down. Hopefully they will reduce the swelling of your eustacian tubes and let your ears equalise normally.

Flop

Do any of you who use the nasal sprays have facial flushing? I used to have facial flushing really badly, and now, thanks to some improvement in my overall health, it has gotten a lot better. But it still happens and I always feel like I could be on the verge of a return to the days that I was red and hot all the time.

I have read that steroid nasal sprays can much worsen rosacea or cause acute rosacea in people. This makes me SUPER nervous. I cannot find anything that links omnaris specifically to this, but only perhaps because it is fairly new. Other nasal sprays do have their stories though.

I think it might be able to help me, at least to get through a flight, because I am sure that inflammation is my problem. And if there are no ANS side effects, I'm all game for giving it a try. But the flushing I cannot tolerate again.

I use nasonex daily and it does not effect my symptoms. It helps prevent the swelling that comes with the vasomotor/allergic rhinitis. I also neti with warm salt water daily as well. If I am having a bad allergic episode, the neti pot is my fastest relief. As for flying, you need Afrin or something like it--a nasal decongestant. It may cause slight tachycardia, but I have never noticed it (given the difficulties with the ANS and flying in general.) If you use it just before descent, it will open your nose and eustatian tubes. My eustatian tubes swell with my vasomotor rhinitis as well. My ears are always popping, and swimming under water is painful from the pressure.

I've been Omnaris for about 10 mos now and have no side effects. I have chronic sinus and ear infections. I also have a tube in my right ear b/c that one is the one that has had more problems. I had tubes in both ears about 5 years ago, but 2 years ago, they finally made their way out (that's normal). More than anything else, the tube and rinsing with a NeilMed system have been most useful.

Before flying, I use an OTC nasal decongestant spray. It gives me a bit of tachy, but worth being out of pain

I think something like Afrin could help me a great deal, but I am really super sensitive to anything that increases heart rate. I cannot even drink decaf coffee (the 99.5% decaf kind) because it makes me feel like I drank regular. I am already super super anxious about flying, especially after having symptomatic PSVTs, so my goal when flying is to keep the heart rate as low as possible. It sounds like it is rare that Afrin causes the heart rate to increase, but I usually get the rare side effects. When you guys who use it say that it causes some tachy, is it much? Is it noticeable? How much more do you think the Afrin helps than the steroid? Do you think the steroid alone would ease eustachian tube problems?

Afrin has never raised my HR more than the event of flying itself. It is so localized that it should have almost no effect on the rest of your system. It is almost instant and fairly short-lived (don't get the 12 hour type!) I couldn't fly without it. I also take a steroid for the daily stuff. It takes a couple days to take effect and has never shrunk my nasal passages or opened my ears like Afrin. My endo's all repeatedly warn me about taking the steroid. Every time they do any adrenal testing they want me off of it for two weeks before, so it does travel through the system. You could always bring Afrin with you as a "just in case" measure: if you start to have ear pain, then use it.

I used to take Nasacort for really bad allergy seasons, but now my insurance covers Flonase-generic so I have to switch for the next allergy season.

Overall I'm told they are similar and very localized. Nasacort never bothered me POTS-wise. I assume Flonase-generic will be the same. But. It's nice to not be constantly stuffed up with headaches!