Jelly Legs - What's Actually Going On??

nforste

Hi everyone,

I just have a quick question - when my legs turn to jelly, does anyone know what is actually going on? I know it happens with excess adrenaline, but is it a build up of lactic acid in the muscles or something to do with balance or something else? I figure if I know what causes this, I'll be better able to deal with it when it happens. Does anyone else have this problem?

I get this sometimes... it does feel like hypoglycemia, but I've checked my blood sugar a few times when it's happened, and it's normal. But, eating something with a mixture of complex and simple carbs (like a granola bar with chocolate) will help the symptoms.

Interesting. I'll have to try eating next time it happens. It really only happens if I've been exercising (and then my muscles shake a bit too) or if something has startled me or I've gone into a shopping centre or I've been outside too long when it's really hot. Is this the same with you guys?

• 8 months later...

Interesting. I'll have to try eating next time it happens. It really only happens if I've been exercising (and then my muscles shake a bit too) or if something has startled me or I've gone into a shopping centre or I've been outside too long when it's really hot. Is this the same with you guys?

I get this when I go to physical therapy. It may not be the same as yours.... It takes me an hour or two to 'get going' for the day...when I'm mobile and out the door for PT -- I feel stiff and sluggish... Then PT for overall strengthening of core, legs etc is done for an hour and a half. After that I usually will walk outside for an hour or so because it feels so good to be limbered up. That's when the wobbly will hit. My right knee buckles more than usual and walking will begin to get pretty difficult. I can sure walk but I feel unstable after not too long ambulating. While doing the exercises my muscles will shake like crazy sometimes -- I'm told that means the muscles got a good workout. I was told muscles do that when they are fatigued. I guess when you have EDS your muscles somehow work harder to protect your joints - and thus you don't have normal strength as most people (I'm sure every individual is unique though).... dunno if this helps or not. I also dunno how much of this is dysautonomia related...

My daughter got this when going on Propranolol, it was attributed to less pressure on the legs as the blood pressure was reduced. If you have a blood pressure monitor, you can take your blood pressure from your ankle. Don't get scared when you do, the difference from a leg pressure and arm pressure can vary widely. Take several measurements when you are at rest, legs up and rested and several when standing and you feel like your "normal" and during several of the jelly attacks both standing and after laying down with legs up. You will be able to compare the totals and see if it is your blood pressure in the legs. Though her blood pressure in the arm is on the very low side of normal, her standing pressure in her ankles are very high. She has blood pooling in her arms and legs when standing.

Robin