These People Don't Know How Good They Have It!!!

erickamcc0523

[rant]

I might just scream if I see one more commercial about how so hard it is to handle something like acne, sensitive teeth, or some other minor annoyance!!!! And I have both problems with my skin and have to eat most things around room temperature! If those were the worst things wrong with me, I would be THRILLED!!

[/rant]

Ok, with all of that said, much of this, I suppose, is a matter of perspective... that someone who has great health, I suppose than can feel like they're dying from a simple cold. Since I feel like I have the flu every day, when I do get a cold, it isn't that big of a deal in comparison. And some people (like my mom) has such a low tolerance to pain (she stubs her toe and is on the ground in a fetal position for at least 10 minutes) that if they were to have a joint dislocation, they have to go to the hospital and be given much sedation and pain medicine for it to be reduced... I dislocate a joint and well, it does hurt, but it barely registers above a 7 on my pain scale... I live with a 5 on average most days, so nothing that I can't handle to reduce myself. I guess I'm starting to get that maybe I have it pretty good... my tolerance to many things is pretty high, and I am able to handle it much better than most... Of course, if it's too cold or too hot or I have to stand for too long, I'm not so great, but I guess that it's a trade off for being able to deal with the tiredness and pain and feeling sick for so long. I do include you in those last few sentences. I am constantly amazed by you all... in spite of hardships and dealing with so much on a day to day basis, you all keep going, one foot in front of the other.... Pats on the backs for everyone!!

I wish that I wasn't having such brain fog... it's taken me almost 45 minutes to write this message... I hope you all understand what I'm trying to say. I'm very blessed to know you all!

Oh my god, I know what you mean. I want to smack people when they whine about having the sniffles, and my resting HR is in the 140's and am struggling to walk cause of nerve pain in my legs, and all the rest. And it gets really frustrating living on a college campus with all these healthy, young, energetic people all around me all the time (but when they get a cold, watch out...cause this is apparently the end of the world for most of them).

A friend of mine left me a note yesterday that totally brightened my day:

"No matter what happens, you remain talented, wonderful, beautiful, intelligent, and also awesome...I admire you so much, you have no idea. Despite all this **** you are still going strong. Well, kind of. You know what I mean."

...It made me laugh and it was really touching too, cause most people don't understand at all how tough it is to live with this stuff on a daily basis. It was really validating to know that someone sees what I am going through and appreciates how tough it is, and I was totally in a foul mood about my life and my health when I read that. It really makes such a difference when someone understands.

I TOTALLY understand. It's like when my friends whine to me about having a cold..."I'm SOOOO sick". Try being sick every day for 6 years...they don't understand what sick is!!! Being stressed out about appearance is superficial and a luxury that few people in the world have. If the biggest thing you are stressing about is the whiteness of your teeth, God bless!

I hate being sick, but it has opened my eyes that when you have REAL problems, lifes little ups and downs don't matter so much anymore. When people complain about having to work late, I think I am so grateful to be able to work...and if I work late and I am feeling OK, then I am walking on air!!!

It's all relative, though. There are millions of people whose lives are worse than ours....women in Africa who are being raped and brutalized every day or even the Haiti earthquake victims. POTS does not seem so bad in comparison.

Yesterday, I pushed myself too far and my body was so painful, tired, so that I couldn't even talk for several hours except in a whisper. My hubby was doing all the regular chores, understanding that I wasn't able to do much. At the end of the night, he said it was normal to feel tired after you push yourself! I looked at my kind husband, who just had no idea how I had been feeling all day. I explained that it wasn't normal fatigue, that the fatigue I was feeling was actually painful in my joints, muscles, skin, and chest, and that the excess adrenaline keeps me from resting even though I feel oh, so tired.

Honestly, unless someone has gone through a chronic illness I don't think even the most well-meaning person can truly understand.

It is all relative. For example... I tried to get pregnant starting in my late 20's to late 30's. I went through infertility treatments but they were unsuccessful. At the time I thought it was the worst thing...it sort of took over my life for a while. Now looking back I see it wasn't all that bad. Not to minimize anyone's experience with infertility but at least I had my health back then which I now realize is the most important thing. Going through infertility paled in comparison to living with a chronic illness. And the thing is....I know a lot people have it worse than us. There are lots of worse things than a chronic illness.

Well, I have sensitive teeth because my gums are receeding so I have to use sensitive toothpaste. XD But what I don't understand are the commercial for growing eyelashes.

Thicker, fuller, more beautiful eyelashes.

W. T. F.

Now I could understand this on a medical perspective if you were injured or had hair problems but seriously the way they present it, is like if you're tired of using mascara.

If that's all you have to worry about?

Someone hit you with a chair.

Yesterday, I pushed myself too far and my body was so painful, tired, so that I couldn't even talk for several hours except in a whisper. My hubby was doing all the regular chores, understanding that I wasn't able to do much. At the end of the night, he said it was normal to feel tired after you push yourself! I looked at my kind husband, who just had no idea how I had been feeling all day. I explained that it wasn't normal fatigue, that the fatigue I was feeling was actually painful in my joints, muscles, skin, and chest, and that the excess adrenaline keeps me from resting even though I feel oh, so tired.

Honestly, unless someone has gone through a chronic illness I don't think even the most well-meaning person can truly understand.

I completely understand what you said there. The day before yesterday all I did was go shopping and go to parents evening at the school and I felt like I had run a marathon. I could hardly move when I got home and had to push myself to get dinner and do the ironing when I just wanted to curl up and lay there motionless and not even speak. I'm 45, NOT 85! My poor mum is terminally ill and while I'm trying to be there for her I seem to keep moaning about myself which makes me feel so guilty. I just want to feel better so that I can be there for her. Yesterday though in a conversation with my mum she wants to say the right thing but put my back up by trying to say that everything would be ok. How terrible am I that I get angry when people try to comfort me? Then I feel guilty for being angry! :(