Ortho Evra Patch

Broken_Shell

Hi Ladies,

Here we go again on the topic... I am looking for another option to try and shut down my periods because the hormone cycles are making my dysautonomia completely disabling... I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Ortho Evra patch. Thank you!

I wore that patch for about 6 months. I really did like the simplicity of it. The only side effects I had were not system related. I got major skin irritation from it. The doc said it almost looked like an allergic reaction no matter where I wore it. There a few different sites you can put it. Hip/butt area, pelvic region (i believe), and upper arm (like where you would get a shot). My skin would get red and inflamed, and sometimes I would have red lines coming fown from where the area. She said no good and made me switch. But my skin is sooo darn sensitive! Hopefully it will work for you.

Kelli

The problem with the patch is that the absorption through the skin is somewhat unpredictable, so they had to put a pretty big dose of hormone in the patch, to minimize the risk of breakthrough ovulation and unintended pregnancy. If you want a convenient delivery system but want a lower dose of hormone, you might want to consider the vaginal ring. You can ask the doctor whether an extended dosing regimen might help you lose less blood.