Anyone Have Any Luck With Paxil?

lieze

I had read Paxil helped with POTS symptoms and asked my gp about it. She did write me a script but then when I read the side effects it scared me. I went back to her and asked about Effexor-it seemed to be one of the SSRI's SNRI's that raised bp instead of lowering it. She basically told me in POTS patients it doesn't do that to try it and if I had trouble with it she would switch me over. Well I never could get my nerve up to try it but wanted to ask if anyone else did and if it helped them. She said she had actually done her thesis on this subject and with all her research no one understood in what way it helped with POTS only seemed to help. Any advice on this?

lieze

Hello,

I am currently on Paxil CR and have had good results with it. I have had a time with some of the SSRI's - they can definitely give you some weird side effects but if you find one that works it's worth it in the end. My advice would be to go on it really slowly. I cut the pills into pieces and take a small amount for a few days (until I no longer feel any side effects and then increase a bit more, etc, etc). It usually takes me a couple of months until I'm on a full dose because I do it gradually and this allows me to keep functioning during the process.

Paxil CR (which seems to have few side effects for most people) recently went generic and I found that the generic didn't work as well for me so I'm back on the brand.

I think it's worth a try but go slowly if you can!!

Blessings,

Lisa

I can't say enough good things about Paxil. I was really scared to try it after reading some of the bad experiences people on the foum had. But it made a big difference for me, with few side effects. It took me 4 years of having POTS before I worked up the courage to try Paxil. It brought me much closer to having a "normal" life. I wish I had tried it earlier. I am actually weaning off of it now b/c I don't need it anymore. Good luck!

i liked lexapro.. sorry never took paxil. just make sure you go on it VERY slowly. i didnt know i had POTS when i started my SSRI and immediately took the full dose. The side effects were very bad for the first month and then they disappeared and i almost felt back to my normal self again. I went from being bed bound for months with extreme anxiety and adrenaline surges to being able to see movies again and have a part time job. seriously give it a shot.. it can really help you

Hi Lieze~

I've been on Paxil for about 10 years, and love it. I had to start out on a small dose, 5 mg, and then I eventually worked up to 15 mg. 20 mg is too much and makes me feel foggy the next day. I take it at night since it can make me a little drowsy. Really haven't had side effects with it, and it helps balance me out so I can deal with my dysautonomia better.

Hope you try it and that it works for you. Just remember....You may have to start off on 5 or even 2.5 mg and gradually increase the dosage, and it can take up to 4-6 weeks to fully adjust to a new med.

Good luck, and let us know!

Jana

I took lexapro for a few months (a ssri) but recently switched to Celebrex (a sNri). I was really worried because I have hyper pots and thought that it might make me worse. i was worse for about 2 weeks but my dr. told me to stick with it and I am soo much better. I have been able to exercise a little and have even gone to the grocery store alone. I had High Blood Pressure but I don't now. My next visit to the dr I am going to ask him if I can reduce my beta blocker.

Good luck... give your body time to adjust to the med.