Hello

Noreen

Greetings to everyone-

I've been reading the forum for a while when I have felt well enough and could think well enough how to use a computer. Would that were just a joke! It seems strange that not all that long ago I worked full time on computers and assisted others. Until I found this forum, the frustration I felt at becoming the village idiot could become overwhelming. After my neurocardiogenic syncope diagnosis in 2002, my cardiologist never told me the full impact of the autonomic issues I could face. Over the years I've tended to attribute everything to my fibro from a 1990 auto accident and fought to keep on keeping on.

My major syncope episode in 2002 happened at Old Navy. I had a coupon for $5 off a $25 purchase and kept finding incredible deals like a $3 cashmere sweater so it was taking me forever. The stomach pains started and a bout of diarrhea in the ladies room (at least I made it!) were a brief rest before pushing this full cart of presents for the year which would only set back my budget by $27 towards the register. I never made it. I came to with the paramedics around me and in the distance I could see the clerk pushing my cart away. Talk about shop 'til you drop!

As part of the diagnostic work-up, I was scheduled for the tilt-table testing. The hospital, an older institution with space issues, had the tilt table in an ante-room to a surgical suite/procedure room. The day of my testing there was a respiratory tech waiting for the patient in the procedure room and he knew the young woman administering my test. As she strapped me in, he and I started chatting and joking. She seemed nervous about administering the test as, I believe, the last time she did one it was hairy and she asked him to hang around. I could see the BP readings out of the corner of the eye and as the testing commenced, and I felt horrible I initially found out by accident that I felt better and my bp stabilized if I was laughing/joking. Too high - it went down - too low it went up when I laughed. That tilt-table test was the torture from the middle ages. I realize now that it would have been faster if I just passed out but at the time it seemed like survival - I had found how much better I felt when I laughed. of course, when the cardiologist came in the last 10 minutes or so no one was talking and it felt really bad and he said we have a positive result. However, that test confirmed that laughter is the best medicine.

Glad to have found you all

Noreen

Welcome Noreen!

I am glad that you found us, and I hope that we can provide you with support and helpful information! I am sorry for your suffering though, and hope that you are able to find a good combo of treatment that will help you be able to feel a little more like yourself again.

~ Broken_Shell

Hi Noreen,

welcome to DINET! I'm sorry that you need to be here but I hope that in no time you will be part of our family. We are a friendly if slightly mad/quirky bunch but we are all here for each other. You will find lots of information on the main DINET web site (link top left of the screen) and also by reading old threads on here (you can use the search function to look for specific things). However if there is anything that you can't see or are still wondering about just post a question and the chances are that several of us have come across the same issue at some point!

Flop

DINET moderator

Hi Noreen~

Welcome to our group! We're a pretty supportive bunch and try to keep some humor going as we help each other along the way. You'll find lots of people have some of the same symptoms/diagnoses you do, and learn about other related illnesses as well. You are certain to learn something.

I am an fainter, also, and have severe orthostatic hypotension. My doctors fight over whether I have POTS or not...My BP falls substantially when I go from supine/sitting position to standing, and my HR goes from about 60 to 130. Mayo docs believe that if your BP falls a lot during these phases, and on the tilt table, that it's not POTS. They say that my BP wouldn't fall so dramatically if it were 'true POTS'. Who knows? I just get trying to deal with my symptoms and feel better so I can get back to work some day.

If you're comfortable, feel free to tell us more about yourself. You've very welcome to join us.

Cheers,

Jana

Hi Noreen,

Welcome to the Boards. Sorry that your condition brought you here, but you'll find a group of wonderful, caring, compassionate an extremely smart people. Whenever you feel down, or just want to share, check in. Everyone makes you feel so wanted and have nothing but kindness in their hearts. They have helped me so many times when no one else understood.

Take care of yourself.

Rene

Hi Noreen!

Welcome to the group! This has been a great place for me to find a lot of information and, even better, people who understand and accept me for who I am. Never hesitate to ask a question. We might not know the answer, but we'll be as helpful as we can.

Hugs,

Caron