Help....

I have had this in the past but earlier today was terrible..not sure the episode is over either.

So if I can be upright and moving..perhaps a little more than my usual sedentray self...I frequently get terrible and I mean terrible stomach cramps which usually results at some point in diahrea. Then I feel better. But for this past week I have still been pretty constipated. Today after doing light housework this morning I took a shower and started to dry my hair...I knew the POTS end was near..but I continued to dry my hair...I got stomach cramps (high right side) like you can't even imagine...as painful as childbirth I think. NowI am sitting.. and it will I am sure subside (however, still no bowel relief) ...it is completely incopacitating when this happens. I drop to the floor...doubled over..

I have had this ever since my POTS onset...it doesn't happen all the time but enough. I saw my GP and he did a cat scan and it was normal..my neurologist says it probably is the gastrointestinal component of POTS.

Anyone else get this and what do we do to help...I don't mind laying on my bathroom floor but it is not always that easy! ;)

Thanks!!

I really have no idea of how to relieve it, but I just wanted to tell you I feel your pain!! When I get it, I can't even breathe properly since it hurts so bad (think rapid and shallow breaths). Normally it only comes when I am very constipated but it's a precursor to an attack of diarrhea, but like with you, it can take at least a week before things get "moving" again. I will take something that helps things get moving, which after a few days will help with the pain.

Is your stomach distended? When did you have a bm last? Happens to me when I'm near a bowel obstrustion or my Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) is having an attack and I need to go to the er right away and get on 2 antibotics if my doc isn't around on a weekend.

http://www.medicinenet.com/diverticulosis/article.htm

this really hurts and buckles me over so I can't walk or breathe without extreme pain.

bellamia~*

I hope you're ok erika. let us know. xxxx's

bellamia~

Yes, I've been there. So sorry. The pain literally takes my breathe away too. Have you tried Miralax? Since I've done daily doses, this rarely happens to me any more.

Hope relief comes soon.

Hugs-

Julie

The pain may be due to spasms of the gut. Sometimes if things have been a bit stubborn the gut really contracts to get things moving and you often end up with diarrhoea.

I often get severe gut pain out of the blue - I will double over with pain so bad I can hardly breathe and have to dash to the loo. Usually moving my bowels relieves the pain. My GP said that if I had pain lasting longer then he would prescribe Buscopan (hyoscine butylbromide) to relieve the crapms.

Flop

I can't use miralax I get worse too dehydrated and tachy. I take 2 senna each night with fiber tabs. I guess we all have to find our own little tricks by trial and error. bellamia~

Thanks guys! I usually am not all that constipated...but have been for the last week.. but my diahrea etc seems to be related to activity level..much like all my symptoms....does this make sense?

BellaMia - they did look for diverticuli (spelling??) but said everything was fine. I thought that was what it was because it is mainly in the left side...

Flop - yes...it feels like spasms...so painful..so painful. But after my "episode" of diahrea I have relief.

I have never had this prior to POTS..

I do get mine on he left side, but thought it could happen anywhere in the bowel. That's why I added the link.This is one story from it: I was just diagnosed with diverticulosis. I have pain across upper abdomen, which also radiates to lower back and right side. Originally thought to be gallbladder. When ultrasound ruled that out, I had CT scan which showed diverticulosis. Also have diarrhea which alternates at times with having trouble going. Have a lot of bloating and gas, as well. I hope you're better today.Happy Valentine's Day! Get Well & buy yourself a really nice valentine. You deserve it my friend!

xxx's

bellamia~