Terrible pain. Help please?

Ling

Please can you try and explain what’s happening to me. On Saturday morning I woke up to my right legs calf pulling tight. It was like this for a few seconds and hurt like ****. I rubbed and rubbed and prayed for it to stop. The rest of the day it was painful and felt funny. Sunday morning I could not even stand on my leg. My husband told me to walk and in pain I walked and walked and it got better. This morning the same thing. So what’s happening. Am I shorting salt or is this something new happening to me? Salt cramps don’t last so long do they? I can’t even rub my calf it hurts so badly? Help! :(

Last week I had wrist pains the whole week. I cant think of anything that I have done wrong. But everything I did hurt like ****. Like we all could do with a new problem or two!!!!!!!! :)

Have you had your potassium checked lately?? That can cause some cramping. I know that if you get a bad enough of a leg cramp it can make the muscle sore for several days. I would also ask your doctor because it could be a blood clot in your leg. Rare but a possiblilty. I had a really sore calf and my doc sent me for a test just to make sure it was not that. It wasn't but again better to be safe than sorry.

Stacey :-)

Guest tearose

Wow ling, I don't know what is going on. Could be you overdid something and your body is trying to heal, could be potassium or something else. If you are still hurting today, get yourself to the internist to take a look at this! Feel better soon, tearose

That definitely sounds like a "Charlie Horse" (muscle cramp). Potassium and/or calcium deficiency can cause this...I had them a lot when I was pregnant with my son and WOW they hurt!! Like you said, mine would also feel sore all day, and would usually hit me during the night. One thing you can do while it's happening is to try and allow that cramped muscle to relax (in other words, don't try to contract it) and just massage over and over until it settles down. They are soooo painful...but I agree with the others that having your potassium checked would be a good idea- or you can try eating foods rich in potassium for a while and see what happens- my grandomtyher-in-law swears that drinking orange juice during the attack helps her, but I never tried it. Good luck :(

P.S. I got your e-mail and I promise I will write soon...I've just been so sick with the pregnancy I haven't been on the computer much!!

Hi Ling. I have had the really bad pain in my calves before and my doctor once decided to do the ultrasound to check for blood clot because severe calf pain is a symptom. Everything was normal. The pain would come and go and it wasn't my potassium level although as said above that can also be a cause of pain in the calves. Months later a nutrionist/pharmacist told me to try taking magnesium which I did and I have not had the pains in 7 months. I know it can drive you nuts with the leg pain because you don't know whether to relax it or exercise the heck out of it! I would rub mine over and over again, do calf stretches and try walking...abd then it would come back again. Be sure to check with your doctor so you can eliminate the obvious. Hope you feel better.

It could be the vessels in your leg expand too much like mine do I have that same phenomena and was told it was autonomic swelling. I wear heavy support socks up to the knee and it helps a little. When you walk the muscles of your leg contract and send the fluid where it should be. I often need to get up and walk around after sitting at the computer even for a few minutes because I notice my left calf is almost twice the size of the right and sometimes it is numb and painful. Some persons find that compression panty hose to the waist helps them but it didn't do any more for me than the compression socks. I also found that if the leg is going to "swell" it does so even with the socks and I have to remove them because the compression is too painful. Take care. Martha