Senior/anoxic Brain Moments

Brye

Over the past 2 weeks I've had some bad brain pauses. I looked right at the photo guy at my daughters basketball game and said the coaches wife is right over there, HE'S the one in the red shirt. (It was a husband) I didn't even realize what I had said until I saw the photo guy walk away with a confused look on his face. I was trying to write the date down on something today and I said to my husband "it's January what" I dragged all 4 kids to their 8:00 well child check-up early this week only to have the receptionist say it wasn't until next week. I looked when I got home and sure enough it was clearly written on the right date on the calendar. Tonight I went to take my xanax and grabbed my atenolol instead and took that by mistake and didn't realize it until I swallowed! I think I'm losing it!!! I say things totally off base and don't even realize it's come out wrong until someone corrects me. Mini strokes or something?

It's hard to know what to be concerned about. Is this just a bad stretch of brain fog? I've been super tired lately and now I'm thinking maybe I've come down with mono again. I've been trying to get back in shape a little, maybe my body's just retaliating. I'm afraid if this keeps up I'm going to leave one of my children behind! Anyone with similar stories? Please share them now!! I did back out of my garage once without opening the door but that was a long time ago! I'm only 37 so I don't think I'm quite at the senior moment age!!

Thanks!

Brye

I can do the monthly budget and figure out how much $ we need for each category. But I cannot transfer money or actually balance our checkbook. Like you, I think that I'm transferring the correct dollar amount but after adding a zero twice in a row to the amount we were transferring :blink: I was banned. And I just can't make the dollar amounts in our checkbook equal those in the bank account. There can be just a couple transactions, and I'll mess it up.

I used to be a critical care nurse and could calculate IV drip rates in my head prior to POTS.

My problem is that I can no longer multitask. If I'm given a series of jobs to do, I'll remember the first one and maybe the second. I'll think I'm remembering the third or fourth task but sometimes I don't even remember there was anything at all to do past the second task. This is problematic when I'm volunteering at my husband's school. I'm never given a complicated task, but sometimes there are steps involved. Now I have to bring paper and pen to keep track of what I have to do next.

I think this is why I find it so difficult to read books anymore. I realize that often I've forgotten what I just read a few sentences earlier, and have to read it over and over again before I can comprehend what the words are saying.

I might also suggest that if your children are given the job of helping you remember what you have to do that day. Otherwise, just try to laugh at yourself when you make mistakes like getting to the doctor's a week early (at least you don't go to them a week late like I did twice!). And even write yourself notes maybe stuck on your steering wheel with basic things you need to remember, like getting all of your children in the car. I understand your anxiety regarding possibly forgetting something really important. I'm thankful I don't have much real responsibility for this reason.

I first noticed my "senior moments" as a senior in high school! I do have sudden brain flatulence issues, but not constantly. Those seem to come in waves. In the old days I'd just say something idiotic then catch myself right away (so I spent a lot of time being silent :). Went through a phase of locking keys in car and stuff like that. Other than personal frustration/embarrassment, those things have proven pretty harmless overall. I hope they stay that way for you. I think it is most likely they will stay within the nuisance realm.

However, for me other abilities faded away more... inattention and mental fatigue became key problems (or at least increased drastically). I think something akin to "spacial" working memory or visualization virtually disappeared. Have scootched through life mostly on prior skills since then, since full functionality is pretty intermittent. I had put in early effort with work & study as a young kid before things really fell apart so I did have a base to work with.

There is a chance that managing medical side of things as best you can will minimize the brain fog issues. On the other hand, sometimes meds can have or contribute these troubles a side-effect so be on the lookout for that too. I guess one just has to keep up all the basics like hydration, steady nutrition, rest/sleep, etc. and be extra diligent about important stuff (like counting your children a couple times when going from place to place to be sure you don't leave one behind). Cut yourself some slack on the little things rather than letting those compound into real frustration. Probably hard to do since one gets self-critical and vigilant to make up for failings, but it seems one has to do so cautiously and be able to laugh away some tension where appropriate.

Oh yeah, one of my funny "rolling short term memory" lapses was when I dropped one of my pills. I said to myself, "ok I'll pick it up and take it in a second, after I have these couple others". Then I promptly forgot the whole thing until the next day when I noticed it on the ground and realized what had happened. It was a pill to help with my mental focus :)

im suffering quite badly with this at the moment. i used to have a good memory (at times).

now i have a month to look at diary where everything is written down, otherwise i would simply forget. also whats frustrating me at present is i can touch type, have been able to since school. yet by the time the wanted words are formed in my head and travel down my fingers to type i place my fingers on the wrong words!!! which is a real pain.

xxx

Oh, I always joke about my brain running on just beans, because I have so many brain fart moments!! Probably one of the most disturbing moments for me was about a month ago, I went to confession. First, I could hardly remember what I needed to confess, and I kept talking like I was drunk or stoned or something. One spoonerism after another, not to mention that I kept forgetting words.... and then after my penance was assigned, I was asked to say the Act of Contrition, a prayer that I have known and prayed at least weekly for almost 2 years, and yet, I couldn't remember anything past the first sentence. One of the few times that I've actually cussed in the confessional (it was more like, "******, I can't remember it!"). Thankfully, my priest was wonderful, and tried to jog my memory by starting the next sentence, but even that didn't help, so he handed me a holy card with the prayer on the back. He saw how frustrated I was, and offered some very encouraging words.

Oh, there have been many times of keys locked in the car, perhaps one of the funniest ones was when I locked them in my parent's running car. I had borrowed their Jeep for a few days. A little background: on a Jeep Cherokee, if the engine is running, you can't lock the car by pushing the button that locks all of the doors at once... you have to manually hit all of the door lock buttons on each individual door. I must be hypervigilant about locking doors, because I did just that. Thankfully, I didn't lock my cell phone in the car, and I was able to call AAA, who, because I had locked a running car, had a locksmith out there in about 10 minutes. I am very glad that I now have an electronic fob that locks and unlocks my car, and that I have gotten in a habit of doing so... less chance of locking myself out. There have also been times that I have locked my parents out of the house even though they were traveling in the same car I was and we arrived home at the same time... Again, I guess that I'm somewhat OCD about locking doors.

This sort of thing happens to me. I am definitely forgetful if I do not stay very organized. It was worse when my daughter was an infant/toddler. I guess the most "stupid" thing I did when my daughter was around a year old was set my wallet on my car roof. Then I drove off and my wallet flew off the car on a busy dualized highway and the contents went all over the road. Fortunately a kind person helped me retrieve the key things--my credit card and drivers license.

I lose things all the time if I am not very careful to always keep them in the same place.

The year pots became disabling for me I had an incident that really shook me up. I was a firefighter and in charge of the engine company one day. The engine had just come back from the shop and whenever it comes back from somewhere the driver is suppose to check the pump. Well I kept thinking that I should remind the driver to do that but every time I stood up to go tell him I forgot what it was I was getting up for, this happened at least 3 times. We got a call for a car fire next to a house and as I jumped into the officer's seat the driver said we had no water in the tank. Fortunately, we had a smaller vehicle that we used for brush fires that we took to put the fire out along with our empty engine so disaster was averted. The only problem was that I couldn't cancel the other responding companies fast enough and one showed up and found out what happened. I didn't get into any official trouble but it ruined what reputation I had. I still forget things when I stand up.

Oh Geez, I've enjoyed reading everyone's bloopers. I, too, have locked my keys in a running car- (years ago) at college. I was parked in an illegal space & the campus cop was trying to give me a ticket. Instead, I talked him into helping me break into my car so I could move it ;) Late to class!

The year my MCAD was it's worst, I was unable to read. My BP was chronically really, really low, I had been an avid & voracious reader all of my life. The words no longer made sense. I couldn't remember anything I had just read- no plot, no characters, nothing! So frustrating!

This also occurs for me when I'm really busy and/or stressed. A particularly funny one happened when i was working full-time at a local High School AND directing the drama program after school. We were putting on a major production & I didn't know which end was up. I washed up one night for bed and put on my pajamas. I went to put my clothes away/in the laundry & couldn't find them. I searched high and low. I finally found them.....Guess where? IN THE TOILET!!!! :o I must have inadvertently thought it was the clothes hamper :rolleyes:.

Lately, the scariest moments have occurred when I get lost on my "beaten path." It just lasts for a few seconds, but it's terrifying. I have NO idea of where I am.

Tumeric helps this tremendously for me. Alas, I had a reaction to the turmeric :( . That's OK, I probably would have lost it or put it in the toilet anyways :lol:

Julie

Well..for me. I can do well if I am rested. Once I have been upright for any length of time all bets are off. I am not sure if it is because I start to feel so sick or my brain is actually not working so well. I just try no to make too much of it.

My mom said having POTS is trying to function like being shot in the foot with one arm tied behind our backs...and therefofre yes, I think at times we are distracted and aren't operating at optimum level...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU For sharing!! I Laughed out loud reading some of these. It's nice to see others who can laugh at themselves in spite of such challenges!! I also got some good tips out of these as well! I was a nurse pre=POTS as well and now I can't even take my own meds right now much less be responsible for someone elses! I think I may develop a check list for the car!! GREAT IDEA!! I've also noticed when I'm typing as well the words don't come out right so hopefully this makes sense!!

1. Start Engine

2. Double check to see that door is open

3. Count kids in the back seat

4. Make sure diapers are available.

My kids can be helpful as well. I'll never forget my mom of the year moment when we were at the dollar store, I was distracted as my son ran out ahead. I reeled him back in the store grabbed my bag and headed out with my older 2 kids. My son said "mom are you forgetting someone?" Here my daughter who was 1.5 was sitting in the cart! That would have been bad! (I was pregnant at the time so that didn't help the # of brain cells)

It's one of these things that although I feel like it's been a little worse I'm afraid to complain because then I'm doomed for another thousand dollar work up! I'm still hoping it's just a temporary change and it'll get better. Thanks to all who have shared though!! You've made my night!!!!!

Brye

I'm having MAJOR issues with this! I think it gets worse by the day! WAIT.... what were we talking about...

Oh, yeah... (This happens to me all... the... time...)

I don't know how many times I'm getting ready to walk out the door and I set something by the door so I wont forget it. Then halfway to my destination (or after I get there), I realize that I forgot the "whatever" by the door. Literally, I don't think I've made it anywhere in 6 months (at least) without forgetting something. Even simple things, like calling the dr to make an appointment, or refilling my meds, or paying bills are sometimes days or even weeks late b/c I forget day after day... I have notes and lists everywhere - but don't seem to do any good...

I leave words out of sentences. I forget names of people I've known all my life.

hollie

Exactly Hollie:

I walked past the diaper bag on the way out the door. Then I drove past the drive through doughnut place to get a healthy nutritious breakfast of doughnut holes for my kids on the way to their day care place! SO FRUSTRATING not to have a functioning brain!!

Brye

All I can say is I'm so glad I'm not alone in all this! I know I've pulled some real bloopers but I can't remember them at the moment. :o But I can certainly relate to SOOOO many of the above stories! At my worst times, I've actually refused to drive because I had caught myself doing such STUPID things at home I didn't dare go out on the roads. When I was still trying to work, I would frequently be totally embarrased by the ridiculous questions I'd ask co-workers and then have to say "oh ya, DUH!". I used to be considered really "smart" by my collegues. Oh well.... ;) Good to know I'm not the only one losing my brain cells (or at least their ability to function) at an alarming rate.

My wife tells everyone she knew something was starting to go wrong with me just before POTS really kicked in. I usually have a great memory, in fact in 9th grade (37 years ago) I memorized pi to 42 digits from a newspaper article and can still recite it today, 3.141592653589793.....

But our neighborhood recylces on alternating Wednesdays, 1 week it's paper, the next week it's plastic bottles. So she calls me at work one morning and says why did you put the bottles out, and I say oh crap, don't tell me it's paper day, she says "No, it's Tuesday"

Here's one for you. A guy goes to the doctor. The doctor says I found 2 things wrong with you. You have the Flu and you have Alzheimers. The guy says, well at least I don't have the Flu.

Frank