Trouble With Quinolone Antibiotics?

AppleScruffs

I have asthma and allergies, and about four weeks ago, I started wheezing pretty badly out of nowhere, it sounded like I had bronchitis or was developing pneumonia (which I get pretty often). I went to my doctor, and was put on a big burst of prednisone, and a quinolone called Levaquin.

Strangely enough, the wheezing has lingered around for weeks, and is only just starting to get a bit better. My heart rate has been about 130 for the past week! The doctor seemed to think the Levaquin was the culprit at first, and when I stopped it, the palpitations/headaches/feeling like I was going to pass out got a bit better, but not entirely. My HR is now always at least at 100, and often goes up to 130 or higher.

I am at college and this has been making getting to and keeping up with classes pretty difficult! :P

I was just wondering, if Levaquin or any other quinolones are something that have triggered flare-ups of symptoms, particularly tachycardia, for anyone else?

Hi,

I took the same drug one time and had such episodes of tachycardia that I felt it had to be from that since it happened like 2hrs of taking it. Then I took it again and it was the same. It took me a while to get over it. Felt like it sent my system into overdrive for a while.

Feel better.

Just stopped Levaquin today (being treated for lyme). It made me tired - I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I had a few heart episodes were it seemed to beat super fast for few beats. I had 3 EKGs before and during the first week. This was recommended by prescribing dr and cardiologist. I stopped taking it today because I think it is causing major shoulder tendon pain.

• 1 month later...

Don't ever take it is right!

Made me look like I had run a Marathon!!!!!

Also watch out for the statins did the same thing to me Caduet...

I have informed all of my family and friends.

most docs won't take the statins.

That group of antibiotics have a black box warning.

Just Google them.

BellaMia~

I am with Sara on this one! Took my first trip (hopefully only) trip in an abulance after taking this! Then I had hives for almost a month. I had my first really horrible panic surge. I was with my parents and told them both I love you and I think I am going to die. I know it sounds silly but if you look this class of drugs up on wiki- it is not rare to have a problem with them.