How Do I Get A Haircut?

firewatcher

I have not had a haircut in two years. I had been growing it out for my High School reunion, but now it is just too long for me to handle (it is hard to hold my hands up long enough to dry and style that much hair!) I have also noticed that along with my ever-present headache, I have a spot the size of my palm where my scalp hurts. If I brush it, or move the hair, it is painful. I talked to the place where I usually had my hair cut and they refuse to touch me (something about not being allowed to cut hair if the person has a headache...as soon as I mention the tender spot, they just flat-out refuse.) For those of you who also have scalp tingling/pain, how do you manage a haircut?

I also suffer from frequent headaches and have a sore area on the back of my head, where it hurts if I apply pressure. Some days are worse than others. I never thought to mention it to my stylist, and I've never had any problems, except for a headache (what's new?) when I'm done. I wear my hair long and wavy so I don't have to bother blow-drying it, and I only wash it twice a week. If you can wash your hair, I would think you'd be fine getting a haircut. Most stylists will also cut your hair dry, so you don't need to bother with the wash bowl and all if you don't have the energy for it.

I'd give it a try - my neurologist doesn't seem to have an issue with me having pain on the back of my head, and told me not to worry so much. Hope you get that haircut soon and all goes well!

Cheers,

Jana

Guest tearose

That is one hard one to figure out...hmmm,

could you do as was suggested, and get a hairdresser to go to your home? Then, ask them to wait until you are asleep and cut your hair while you are asleep?

That is one hard one to figure out...hmmm,

could you do as was suggested, and get a hairdresser to go to your home? Then, ask them to wait until you are asleep and cut your hair while you are asleep?

Gosh, I'd hate to see THAT haircut :rolleyes:. Sorry you're dealing with so much, Jennifer. No advice- just hugs!

Julie

I get sore areas on my scalp for no apparent reason as well- just like having semi-long hair hanging there hurts in that particular area. This may not be true for you but I actually like going to the hair dresser with a sore scalp. I have baby fine hair so hairdressers are usually very gentle with it-- just like cutting kids' hair. Generally I have found all the gentle touching over-stimulates my scalp and makes it feel all tingly and that overrides the pain signals soon into the appointment. Maybe the headache policy is based on liability? That is a weird one! Perhaps you should go to someone that cuts a lot of kids' hair-- not that you want to look like a kid, but most stylists that also cut munchkin hair are gentler-- in my experience.

i was wondering do you think the sore places on our scalp could be from the lack of blood flow to the brain when we stand and the blood pools in the stomach ,feet,and legs also keep me in your prayers as i am soon going to minnesotas mayo clinic to see if they can help treat my pots.

Hey Firewatcher!

What's the problem? You got two young boys ... give them some saftey scissors and let them go to town!! I'm fond of the Pema Chodron look myself. Just can't talk my husband into letting me buzz mine all off.

Hugs to you sweetie ... if I was there i'd do it in

a heart beat for you. I've cut my kids and husband's hair for years.

~EM

Just can't talk my husband into letting me buzz mine all off.

Oh my scalp burns so much some times, I'd just love to be bald! Alas, hubby prefers me with hair, too!

Firewatcher, I'm sorry I don't have much of a suggestion. I've grown my hair out since POTS hit me as well. I just get the ends trimmed and keep it shoulder-length now. Much longer and the weight of it makes my head hurt. Much shorter and I can't put it in a braid, which keeps it off of the sensitive skin on the back of my neck.