Anyone Else Get Really Ill From Sexual Activity ?

Troy

For the past 9 years since I developed Autonomic Dysfunction I have been having some seriously bad responses from sex and arousal. I find that being aroused sends me into uncontrollable muscle spasms and twitching and then if I decide to engage in sexual activity I end up developing hyperthermia and high blood pressures. There have been many times I have gone to the ER directly as a result of sex and many times where I was certain I would die from the horrible effects.

The odd thing is that it is not the exertion causing the hyperthermia or the increased blood presure but in fact the reaction my brain has to the chemicals released during sex, even if I dont exert myself at all I have still ended up with blood pressures around 195/100 and tempeartures up to 39c (102.2), when I go to the ER they check for signs of infections as they are suprised at my level of fever and often I dont tell them it was the sex as I find it emberassing so I just say my Dysautonomia is causing it.

If I end up preceeding to the point of orgasm then it turns for the worse and I end up with irregular and rapid heart rates for the next 2 hours after and I have to run directly for the cold shower as the hyperthermia becomes very severe, It actually feels like my brain overheats as there is so much heat rising from my head, I just sit under the cold water for 30 minutes and then after I spend another 2 hours infront of my cooling system with a wet towel trying to feel normal again. I dont know if there is anyone in the medical world that can help me with this problem but is there anyone else that is having this type of response from sex ?

I wish doctors would get their act together and help us find out more answers on the mechanisms behind dysautonomia. I don't know which area of medicine------ endocrinology, neurology, or cardiology would be helpful in figuring this out. I know a gynocologist would be useless, as mine looked at me like a deer looking into headlights when I mentioned my dysautonomia.

It sounds like the hormone changes going on during arousal, and the orgasm have something to do with drastic changes in your autonomic nervous system (ANS) symptoms. I wonder if you should have your pituitary function checked out. Also, having some hormone blood work done might help give some insight. I know the endocrine system one of the things the ANS runs, along with heart rate, BP, digestion, and temperature control.

Sex doesn't set me off nearly as bad as you described, but I do get very wiped out after, and it's not always the "physical exertion" for me either. The orgasm itself can mess up my ANS symptoms, but if I'm not crashing I can rest for about a half hour and I'm usually OK. I also notice I get very bloated afterwards, and I didn't mention this on one of the other threads about this subject.

I hope you can find some help with this. This has to be a nightmare, as sex is not a pleasure we want taken away from us-----we have to deal with too many dissappointments as it is. Some of us have lost so much already.

Maxine :0)

yes! I am physically a mess after sex. My HR is out of control, i feel like im going to vomit, and the room is spinning. I finally just the toher day got my hubby to understand my reasoning for saying NO so often is not lack of desire for HIM, its no desire for feeling like that. At orgasm I get intense pain in my head, and I feel like Im going to pass out. The pain is horrible. I have actually passed out a few times from it. Its terrible. When I went to the Nuero, I talked to her about it and she said its actually common in dysautonomia. Dont have any advice for you, just know your not alone.

~Kelli

As I am most often laying down during sex ... I find that my heart rate does not increase noticeably, however it does briefly during orgasm but in comparison to walking up a flight of stairs it is negligible. Just as our bodies may have a hyper reaction to adrenaline (i.e. hyperadrenergic POTS) it may well be that some of the sex hormones also have an "exaggerated" response in our blood stream.

I might wonder ... do the symptoms happen during sexual arousal that does not involve any physical activity (like reading erotic literature or watching a sexy movie)? Do the symptoms happen during sexual arousal that does not involve another partner? Sometimes we know our body and know what feels good and what is pushing us over our threshold of tolerance. Each small piece of the puzzle may help to figure out if there is something that can help.

Thanks everyone for your responses. EarthMother it definetly feels like my body is having a hyper reaction to the adrenaline and towards the sex homones that are released such as oxytocin, vasopressin, endorphins and dopamine.

I already have a very severe chemical sensitivity towards all opiates, sedatives, SSRI's and stimulants so it makes sense that I'm also reacting adversly to my body's own chemicals. I can't believe I hadn 't realised it earlier, in fact the adverse reaction I have towards the mentioned drugs is almost identical in the reaction I have from sex so it all makes sense now, thanks .

I am also a mess after sex. I hate it! Its hard to want to do something that while it feels good at the time will make you feel terrible for hours afterward. My husband just doesn't get it at all but then he just just sleeps through it anyway. My pain skyrockets, palpitations, tachy and various other symptoms always follow any sexual activity. Does anyone know of any way to reduce the effects?

Anne

My neurologist has helped with this a little bit. He told me to take an extra dose of Klonopin an hour before "I expect intercourse," (yeah, like its spontaneous with two kids around! ;)) and to know my limits. If one "O" is all you can do, do ONLY one! There is a huge catecholamine surge after sex, so whatever dampens that for you should help.