Wheelchair

kitshalleen

hi everyone,

so many of the other wheelchair posts have been helpful. i just called spinlife to see if they had local stores, and they said no. this will be my first wheelchair, and i want the super ultra light ones, but i've never been measured, so i don't want to order online.

how did most of you get yours? did you go to a local store and get measured and then order it online based on that? i know that's sort of rude, but i was just wondering.

thanks so much,

kit

We are so happy with my daughter's wheelchair, that I went to my emails and looked this up to show you what we got from Amazon.

"Invacare Tracer EX2 Wheelchair with Removable Arms"

Health and Beauty; $144.98

Sold by: Wheelchairs Plus Mobility Solutions, Inc.

We didn't go and try any out. Her main criteria was that she wanted one she could push herself, so we needed one with the larger wheels rather than the ultra light ones with the tiny wheels all the way around (those require someone else to push them, as far as I can tell).

Not that $144.98 is cheap, but I thought I'd have to pay more than that for a decent wheelchair. That even included the shipping. We are both very pleased with it. Good luck with your search!

Hi. I don't have a regular wheelchair because I can't push it myself but I have a powerchair. When I went to the medical supply place to get one they told me they had a person who comes out to my house and talks to me to determine exactly what types of options would be helpful and also measured me for the chair. He was great. We ordered one that has the reclining feature and the legs raise up too. There is a special seat for me because sitting is painful otherwise. There is also a lumbar support made to my measurements. He really did a nice job helping me get set up with what works for me. He even brought the chair out to me when it was ready and made sure that I was comfortable using it. I don't know if all medical supply places offer this service but it is worth checking in to. There were alot of options that I wasn't even aware existed.

DYSarray (very clever name, by the way!),

I'm glad you were able to get one custom made for you. That is the way to go if you are going to be needing one a lot, I think.

kitshalleen,

There is no dismantling at all. In fact, the chair comes in one piece already put together, with the exception of the foot rests. Those are the only things that come off at all. I have a Subaru wagon and I just pop the wheelchair in the back and pull it out again very easily. While it is not extremely lightweight, it is certainly easy enough for me to lift in and out of my car without much trouble.

hi everyone,

thanks again for the responses. i would love to have an electric wheelchair because i also can't push myself, but i don't have a van or the energy to dismantle it and put it in a car, and no one to do it for me. does anyone have any ideas for that? i assume that you have a van or a lift to get the wheelchair in the car?

have a good weekend everyone!

julie

dakota....thanks, it felt like a fitting name at the time :D (still does....LOL)

They make some kind of thing that you drive up onto for a power chair and the thing attaches to the back of your car and you can pull a cover of some sort over it. I didn't do this however because I drive (used to drive anyway) a Hyundai Sante Fe and if I fold the back of the seat forward with a flip of a lever, it goes up these ramps I have and into the back of my Sante Fe so that it doesn't get wet and isn't hanging off the back of the car.