How High Does My Bp Need To Be Before I Call My Dr

kayjay

Obviously this is for the general public, but I imagine the 'rules' are similar for us?

From WebMD:

Call911or other emergency services immediately if you have any of the following symptoms:

A sudden, severe headache

Chest pain (angina)

Other symptoms of a heart attack

Symptoms of a stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA)

Call a doctor immediately if you have high blood pressure and:

Your blood pressure is usually normal or well controlled, but it suddenly goes well above the normal range on more than one occasion.

Your blood pressure is 180/110 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) or higher. [/b

Call a doctor if:

Your blood pressure is 140/90 mm Hg or higher on two or more occasions (taken at home or in a community screening program). If one blood pressure measurement is high, have another reading taken by a doctor or nurse to verify the first reading. Many doctors' offices or clinics will take blood pressure measurements without an appointment.

You have significant side effects from any medicine you take for high blood pressure. The side effects may be so bad that you do not want to take your medicine anymore. Talk with your doctor before you stop taking your medicine.

Adults are encouraged to have their blood pressure checked regularly

Hope you feel better soon!

Yes, if you're having symptoms of a heart attack or stroke then go to the ER. Otherwise, call your cardiologist or primary doctor and they can call you back by the end of the day. If this is unusual to have sustained high BP like this, you should definitely call somebody today. (Come to think of it, anyone with BP that high should be concerned!)

My BP goes up on standing or with stress, but comes down with rest. There have been a couple times it stayed high even with rest, and I notified my doctor on both occasions. They were glad I did.