Do You Have Syncope?

gertie

For those of you that faint with vasovagal syncope or NCS how do you cope mentally? I've been doing this for years but I still panic when I feel it is about to happen. I feel very insecure & like I am a weak person, which I suppose I must be or I wouldn't pass out. Are you alone when this happens? I'm usually alone. This a.m. I barely made it to the bathroom with colon cramps before I knew I was going to pass out. I fell over on my table. My legs were getting numb & so wet with sweat I felt like I was going to slide off the commode. If I wasn't the one experiencing this I would think it almost comical. I could not get conscious enough to get back to the bed for about 15 - 20 min. Without being graphic I had to be conscious enough to clean myself up before going back to bed. Hours later I'm still weak & BP still not back to normal. Sorry if I've asked this b/4 but I still panic occ. Thanks.

You panic for good reason. That sounds awful, Alicia. I've only fainted a few times, with NO warning so I just went down- no time to panic. My son experiences this more regularly, and for him, the trick is to get down before he falls. He gets on the ground with his feet slightly raised until he is able to stand again.

When you have to use the bathroom though....I don't know how you can lie down and do your business at the same time :) . AND, as I'm sure you know, bowel movements can cause syncope. That's a pretty common experience. It doesn't make it any easier or prettier though.

It sounds like you shouldn't be alone much, Alicia. How often does this happen? What does your doc say?

Yes, feeling weak afterwards is normal. Drink, drink, drink, extra salt, etc. Lie down with feet elevated until you start to feel better.

So sorry. Gentle Hugs-

Julie

Alicia~

Being an insecure or weak person has absolutely nothing to do with your passing out! It's your body that's doing this to you, and you have no control of it at all. The fact that you're dealing with all of this makes you strong. I'm a fainter, but usually can tell when I'm about to, and I grab onto something nearby or bend over quickly and grab my knees. A lot of times, grabbing your knees or the back of a chair can help stop the faint. You man still fall, but hopefully not pass out.

I agree with Julie that it sounds like you shouldn't be alone too much. Are you taking Florinef or Midodrine? If you have to do some things alone - even like using the toilet - drink lots of water and salt before you go - "power load". Perhaps you need to wear one of those alerts around your neck if this happens to you frequently. Take care of yourself!

i know exactly how you feel!! its terrible! my school kicked me out because i would faint almost every time i stood up. occasionally, i have hit my head but usually i can tell im gonna faint and ill lay down or sit down with my head between my legs. After, i get some really salty pickles, a salt tab, and a gatorade. i usually drink like 3 gatorades a day and lots of other fluids. my doc put me on nadolol which has helped a lot. im so sorry and i know its *****.

I have no choice but to be alone most of the time & when someone is here I don't really feel any better. I should be used to it since I also faint from low blood sugar sometimes. I hope the dr's prove me wrong eventually, but so far they have been useless. Since I'm allergic to most everything they've prescribed there's not much they can do. I feel sure this last episode was triggered by yet another antibiotic I was prescribed for sinus inf because I'm still having IBS symptoms. I tried nadolol several years ago & had bad side effects. I think I've tried everything that I've read might help. Thanks for your replies.