Increased Sensitivity To Smell

jlmahon

My symptoms (bp dropping, nausea, fatigue) have been flaring up the last week or so. What's really new and bothersome though is I seem to be sensitive to smells - things like food cooking and gasoline give me headaches and make me want to vomit. What is going on? I've never been this sensitive to smell before. Anyone else?

when i crashed with all this i had that sensitivity to smell....all smells especially food made me feel like i wanted to vomit (never did though) mine lasted for some time.....food has only just started to smell ok now....it really ***** and I hope this crappy symptom goes away for you soon!

I've had this symptom for years - it comes off and on but when it's on, watch out. I can smell things from a mile away. Sometimes my husband and I will play a game where I tell him what my neighbors are cooking a few houses away. The nausea with it isn't fun, but I've found that when this happens (especially at work) I try to smell coffee beans or a good smelling candle. Or go get some fresh air.

When i am at my worst i am very sensitive to smell.I can also smell things from a distance and though i don't always feel nausea,most of the times it makes me dizzy and causes tachycardia or dyspnea.Before POTS i never had such a strong nose but now i am like a hound.I can't stand the smell of gasoline,paint and smoke.These are my worst.

I've been very sensitive to odors for years. Smells of fragrance, gas, paint etc can trigger a seizure for me. Any chance you have a sinus inf? That always makes it worse for me. I have been so sensitive since my sinus inf I can't tolerate the smell of my humidifier. It's been cleaned & uses distilled water. No one else can smell it but to me it smells like new tires.

I'm also very sensitive to smells, increasing so since I was diagnosed. I can no longer even bear to stand next to someone wearing perfume, nor can I wear it myself. Gasoline is also bad, and house cleaners make me sick. I've switched to some new, more eco-friendly cleansers which really helps. My boyfriend always brings stuff over to me to sniff out..."hey, does this smell like it's spoiled?" Nice.

Cheers,

Jana

Since I've been sick, and mostly within the past half a year or so, I've teased that I've had a demon nose. XD I can smell all sorts of things and pick it apart. I can smell in another room, down the hall, when someone sprays something. I can smell down the hall at work when someone is cooking in the breakroom.

It comes and goes, but if my nose is clear of blood and open, I can smell the deepest, strongest things.

It definately helps with explaining details in my book, but not with allergies around people and their cologne...

But it is funny when I go, "Do you smell that?" and there's a pause before the other people start to smell it and then they really do. Like...I pick up first. XD

Maybe with the loss of other function, we have super senses now? O>O

Yep, happened to me too. Hearing seems more sensitive as well. Vision and taste are worse though :)

Yes, my sense of hearing is very sensitive to noises. My sense of smell is such that my husband can't even eat garlic. Once when he had some for lunch while at work, he thought if he brushed his teeth, used some mouth wash, and chewed gum that I wouldn't be able to tell. Well I could tell when he walked in the door. Sure enough I got a migraine and felt nauseated. It is not his clothes, he can take a shower, and I can still smell it (it is like I can smell it through his skin pores. I will smell it on him for two to three days.

Exactly! If my b'friend eats too much garlic, it's like it's seeping from his pores, which it probably is, and I can't stand to be close to him. Perfumes are really bad, too. Got some good stuff for a gift a while back and had to take it back because I can't stand wearing it!

Since I've become more ill, my sense of smell has gotten much stronger too. Okay, I'll admit something here that is embarrassing but true. My husband has a blood disorder called Hemochromatosis (iron overload). When he gets bad with symptoms and needs a phlebotomy treatment, I can actually smell the iron or chemical changes in his body (we're not quite sure what the smell is from), but no one else can smell him but me. I've actually asked him, "You're feeling badly aren't you?" "Yes, I'm feeling worse," based on his smell getting stronger, that I repeat, no one else, including himself and his doctor, can smell. His doctor actually uses my "nose" as one of the guages for when my husband needs a treatment. Three or so days after the treatment, he's feeling better and his smell is better. I feel like a seizure dog or cancer cat.

I guess it's a blessing, though, as I can help him to determine the extent of his illness. Hmmmm... it's a sign we were meant to be together. Ha!

Linda