Anyone Experiencing Svt?

cma

HI,

I was just wondering how many of you have episodes of supraventricular tachycardia?

Yesterday was the fourth time that I ended up in the ER with SVT which was stopped only with an injection of adenosine. My heart starts beating fast 160+bpm and doesn't slow down on it's own. I am taking beta blockers every day and I was prescribed fludro as well.

I don't drink, don't smoke, don't use caffeine, drink 3 litres of water before 3pm do everything in hope, that I won't experience the terrible SVT's episode, but...

Guest tearose

YES.

My way to stop them...immediately sit down and pull your knees up tightly to your chin. This breaks mine in about 4-5 seconds. Some people use cold water on their face but from my experience I am not near a sink at that time and it would take time to get to one. If I don't replace electrolytes right away I am more prone to more.

Mayo explained that SVT stress the electrolyte load and this is also the cause of chest pain afterwards.

I have learned that IF my heart rate gets near 155 it will then more likely "flip into" the SVT mode so I learned NOT to let it get to 155 and thus, avoid the SVT's.

Also, I am more prone to SVT if my electrolytes are not in balance. If my heartrate has been running higher, I need to take in more potassium. If I have been having chest pains, it usualy means to hold the potassium in my body, I need to supplement magnesium. I have learned this over many years and it is working.

I did use a heartrate monitor to learn what 150-155 feels like and to avoid those situations of SVT by changing my activity.

I carry a seat cane when I am fatigued or having higher rates so I can sit down immediately if needed when out and about.

Be sure you are not having low bp episodes this causes the SVT too!

I hope you can find a behavior modification way to stop these!

tearose

Guest tearose

PS I believe I am relaying this well. Look into it if you want, it helps to explain the benefit of caffeine.

A drug with similar effects on the body of caffeine is adenosine. That is the drug they gave you in the ER. Which is why caffeine in small doses helps me raise my bp and avoid SVT's especially in the morning when my bp is extremely low.

Contra to what some routine cardiologists or EP cardiologists may understand, Mayo and other ANS doctors see that small doses of caffeine are helpful in raising bp. I am talking small dose. Like one cup of coffee or 50mg of caffeine.

I have been near SVT free for months. (Only exception was airflight.)

I had SVT and I had to have it ablated. I know ablation is not in the best interest for most people with POTS though. My ablation did stop the SVT though since meds wouldnt do it. I was also not dx with POTS at the time. Not sure what to do about it, but I do understand what a terrible feeling it is to just have your heart "flip the switch" and be pounding out of nowhere for no good reason. Its scary! ((((HUGS))))

~Kelli

HI, I was just wondering how many of you have episodes of supraventricular tachycardia?

Yesterday was the fourth time that I ended up in the ER with SVT which was stopped only with an injection of adenosine. My heart starts beating fast 160+bpm and doesn't slow down on it's own. I am taking beta blockers every day and I was prescribed fludro as well.

I don't drink, don't smoke, don't use caffeine, drink 3 litres of water before 3pm do everything in hope, that I won't experience the terrible SVT's episode, but...

Hi ?. I have SVT and have been hospitalised on numerous occasions with it... what I found is that they just come out of the blue .. my h/r with the pots as we all know zooms up every time we move and it is also in the svt levels of 140 plus .... but a SVT attacks come on spontaneously even if sitting down or even lying down ? I get a sense that something is about to happen, like a feeling of, not doom exactly but a feeling of some trepidation, after this feeling, whoosh off it goes galloping for all its worth straight up to 190 and more on occations .. not nice, i find they really shake you up literally ....

I have learnt some measures to deal with it ... blowing into a syringe that the paramedics taught me .. and glugging down ice water ... and obviously lay down or sit given the situation your in when it happens ...

I have one once a month now and have been treated for so many in the past ... but try my best to deal with it myself .. but I am told if it does not settle in 20 minutes get to the hospital ... and I do, I would not ever ignore it ..... I have a heat intolerance and this triggers them too ? they are scary and I do sympathise with you I never get used to them ?

tilly

Thank you all so much for taking the time to tell your experiences! Even though I wouldn't wish this to anyone it's comforting to know that some of you have experienced this.

I've tried the syringe and massaging the neck it didn't help for me. I didn't try pulling up my knees to the chest or drinking cold water so if it will hit me again this is what I will try.

It is very scary and mine is like yours tilly it just comes out of the blue. I don't even have the feeling that something is wrong all of the times when it happened I was fine and relaxed at home, my heart wasn't beating high or anything and just woosh it starts beating like crazy. What is interesting to me that it is not the same feeling when my heart beast fast lets say after climbing up the stares and when the SVT hits. In svt it is so hard it seems that my heart is banging against my chest to let it out.

I don't know about electrolytes I got them checked right away in the ER and I was told they were fine. I am suspecting that my bp might have been low before the episode of svt, because I am taking beta blockers, but when svt hits my bp shoots up as well. My mouth dries up immediately also. I might try reintroducing caffeine into my diet again. I've eliminated it in hope not to aggravate my heart rate.

I don't have any other symptoms that most of you guys experience like fatigue and on some extent I am doubting that I have POTS ( even though my heart rate went up during the TTT from 105 to 140). Maybe I have something wrong with my heart instead.

I am afraid to fly, because I haven't been able to control it myself yet.

cma

I could always count on my SVT to occur about a week before my period and always while I was laying down in the middle of the night. For me I knew that it was hormonal. I had ablation done about a year and a half ago and was very pleased with the results. I will say that I do take BB's so if it did come back I am not sure that I would notice it.

I have gone through he menopause and can still relate that my SVT will strike once a month and could even be triggered by hormones .. but it does just come out of the blue like flicking a switch and whoosh off it goes ... you can feel it banging in your chest, after all who wouldn't if it's going that fast ....

I have had them when I have been in the hospital lying in my bed ... one minute I?m ok and then whoosh off it goes the nursed have witnessed it ... you have no control of when it will happen ... Sometimes they are over in an instant and others they are sustained for hours .. I have both ..

but what I find strange is that I have severe tachy every single day heart rate up/down between 110 150 .. just for normal minimal activity around the home .(pots) ... take today for instance it has been tiresome it just want to stay high.. I am thinking hormones are playing a part in the POT?s , or it is a case of, it's that time of the month even though I will not have a period, and the hormone imbalance is messing with my POTS ..?...

Also what happens when I have a SVT attack is I will go for the most massive wee ?. So the tachy must affect your kidneys ?.