Sleep Aids?

lauralulu

I am THINKING of MAYBE asking my GP about a sleep aid. I don't sleep poorly all the time, so I wouldn't want to take it every day, but there are times when I can tell I'm going to be tossing and turning (when I feel 'tired but wired') and so could take it then.

The thing that's causing me reluctance is usually I've experienced a hangover effect from sleep meds (I've only ever tried 2, one was years ago and I don't remember the name and the other was called Zopiclone which had horrible side effects of an awful bitter taste that would get WORSE (stronger) every time I drank or ate something).

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck with meds that don't have that effect? I know everyone is different so you can never predict how your body will react mind you. I am just finding that lately, my 1 or 2 poor nights sleep a week are making my energy and mood levels so low. I feel like if I could get better sleep, I'd most likely feel much better and less symptomatic!

Hi Lauralulu,

I am in the same boat as you, I don't feel like I need a sleep aid every night, but sometimes I know I am not going to get a good night sleep without one. On my long train of doctors before I got my NCS diagnosis, one was with a sleep doctor. I tried taking Ambien and then Lunesta on a regular basis, but kind of got the hangover effect you mentioned and my wife hated it because I was completely out and at the time we had just had a baby. The reason I started taking it was that I would have problems falling asleep and wake up numerous times every night. I also hoped it would help with my near fainting episodes in the morning (NCS), it did not help much if any with that unfortunately.

I still have a perscription for Lunesta, and I do take occassionally. I typically go to bed around 11:00-12:00 and wake up around 7:00. I will not take the Lunesta unless I am in bed by 10:00, that really helps with not having the "hang over" effect. I do get a little bit of that bitter or "metallic" taste in my mouth after taking it, but after drinking something with flavor (usually a G2) it would go away.

Hope that helps!

I also use sleep med when needed. But at a recent doc apt he sugessted an antihistimine. One that has drowsey side effects. The reason for this he said was that other sleep meds would reduce further my already very low BP but these would not!

Worth a try!!

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll definitely keep them all in mind.

Janet, I can't believe it but I have actually done this- I'd just FORGOTTEN! Man, my brain fog has been real bad lately. >.< So thanks for reminding me of that option!

It's funny because I took drowsy anti-hists when abroad because of heat rash and I always wondered why I slept better on holiday than at home- then I made the link- and so when I felt I needed it, I'd use them at home too. Can't believe I forgot that!!!

Well anyway I am trying at the moment a herbal remedy from a new herbalist working near me. It's lavendar, skullcap and valerian in a formula you take like a medicine. I'm feeling the effects of it now, feels quite nice, a relaxed sort of sleepy, whether it's 'strong' enough to actually help me sleep those times when I'm wired and restless, I don't yet know...

I take XANAX every night. Not sure if this makes me an addict but it helps me fall asleep quicker. I really wish I could find something to control the adrenaline surge I seem to get every night when I lay down. The xanax helps me fall asleep quicker but I wish I could get rid of the adrenaline surge all together. No hang over feeling for me with the xanax thoughl!

Good luc!

I have great difficulty sleeping - both falling asleep and staying asleep.

I have sleep apnea and use a bi-pap machine.

My sleep doctor tells me to rotate sleep aids - ambien CR, benedryl and xanax.

Complicating my problems is the awful pain in my neck, arms and back - fibro, arthritis.

Oh, how I long for a good quality night's sleep!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Lois

I think sleepaids are definitely worth a try. I went thru a stint of 2 weeks when I didn't sleep a few years ago. And since then I went to the dr and got Ambien. 1/4 pill does the trick for me and I only need it sometimes. No hangover from such a small dose.

Bendryl (which is what's in most OTC sleep aids) works for me, but it takes a while to kick in. If I take it at 8 then I will fall asleep at midnight.

Getting a full night's sleep makes a huge difference in how you are feeling.

None of the sleep aids work for me. So now when I wake up from the clonidine in the middle of the night I take a calcium pill with d and it puts me right back to sleep. It works for all my friends that I tell also. I really dislike sleep aids and I need extra calcium with d. anyway so I take it then.

Bellamia~

I have never found a sleep aid that worked for me. They either a) didn't put me to sleep or b)made me feel groggy all day the next day. That includes antihistamines like Benadryl.

I have found that taking Soma, a muscle relaxant, works really well for me so I take it at night before bedtime if I'm having trouble. Not only does it help me sleep, but I don't wake up in so much pain anymore. Of course my mom is worried I'm gonna turn into an addict because of it. At this point though I'd rather risk addiction than deal with her constant 11 a.m. phone calls asking why I haven't gotten out of bed yet.

What pat57 said about needing less sleep on Ambien is interesting. Has anyone else noticed this to be true?

Guest tearose

I try to use warm milk or eat a carb like bread.

I wake up during the night several times and did two sleep studies to look at what goes on. The ANS is firing up and they can't do anything to fix it. I must take daily rests or naps or just try sleeping more when I can.

Benedryl makes me wide awake.

I have tried numerous medications to help with sleep. They usually help me with sleep, but then leave me too groggy and sleepy for the rest of the day. I have had success with both Melatonin and doxylamine succinate (brand name: Unisom). However, I can only take 12.5mg of the doxylamine succinate. If I take the full 25mg tablet then I have a hard time sleeping.

Benadryl doesn't work at all for me. It always keeps me awake.

I hope you can find something that works for you.

Rachel

I have Delayed Onset Sleep Disorder (a Circadian Rhythm issue) and did not sleep well for most of my life. Many nights I would not sleep at all until 4am, and then have to get up at 6:30. Since being treated for POTS, my sleep has improved dramatically. I think that blunting that overdrive-tired-but wired feeling has helped tremendously. I sleep very well if I take my BB in the morning (only) and 1.5mg of melatonin just before bedtime. Dimming the lights at dusk, so that there are no bright lights at night helps too. Melatonin lowers your BP, so don't get up suddenly. I am orthostatically HYPERtensive, so it helps to bring things down a bit. You could also try taking it at dinnertime, it will slow your system down, so you can sleep more naturally.

Thanks for the advice! I often suffer with that tired but wired feeling, it gets really annoying. I spent many years not getting to sleep until 5am, despite feeling exhausted and going to bed at 10pm! I'm nowhere near as bad as that currently, chamomile tea helps, but lately I feel in need of an extra something as it's taking me a while to get to sleep and I'm waking up countless times.