Yoga

icthus

Once I became more housebound, I tried yoga from the internet. Found some appropriate sitting and lying positions that didn't require putting head down or standing-to-sitting movements. In only a week of 15 minutes of yoga, I saw tremendous improvement in posture. But I also became breathless, exhausted, and reactive after the 15-minute stint. Any ideas why this limited version of yoga would cause a dysautonomic flare-up? Any suggestions on how to evaluate yoga positions so those of us who are extremely exercise restricted so we could still do some yoga and gain benefit from it?

You could maybe start really slow and build. Try 5 mins and don't do anything that looks like it might aggravate your symptoms.

I really like the DVD AM/PM Stretch for Health. It has yoga stretches, many of which are seated/lying. Also, you could try restorative yoga - where you use pillows and blankets to support you in the poses.

Feel free to pm me if you have questions about specific exercises. :P

Many of us have "exercise intolerance" where what most people would call gentle exercise causes us to feel fatigued and more symptomatic than usual. Yogini has the right advice - start slowly with a tiny bit of exercise and practice regularly until your body learns to cope with the exertion. When you can do 5 mins without feeling dreadful then increase to a few mins more. Gradually you can re-educate your body to allow you to exercise more. Ok you might not get up to running marathons but being able to do 20 mins exercise several times a week is a good goal and should help you to feel better generally.

Flop (enjoys Tai-Chi when she has the energy!)

Yoga has been a big heal part of my conditioning. In the beginning I took it slow. I do not have exercise intolerance, but when pots first started I could get winded and tired just folding the laundry. 3 years later I can do over an hour of vinaysa yoga in a warm room (that was super hard to get used to). I never never never put my hands over my head or stand still in Mountain pose. Standing poses that require me to hold for a long time can be hard but the beauty of yoga is that you are supposed to listen to your body. I don't know your specific situation but I hope you can take your time and continue to practice. The first year I had pots I joined curves and that was a safe place for me to get moving. I don't pass out (high bp) so I may not be typical in my ability to exercise. But I will say this, if it is between cleaning the house and exercising the work out wins. I may have to lie down for a while after but that is okay with me.

I do Yoga for runners. It's a fifteen minute nike workout video. After 4 months I can finally make it through the whole video!! I tried taking classes at our gym but kept fainting...I had no idea at the time I had POTS! I think it helps but I have to move slow when changing positions and eliminate some that I just can't tolerate. I don't become out of breath anymore and no longer get tired from this short yoga workout.

Tif