Low Blood Pressure On Waking

Machair

Mornings are the worst time for me until I have had a few drinks to get hydrated.

The main issue seems to be low blood pressure which is usually less than 90/60. On rising the pulse shoots up by 40 or so, and the already low BP numbers get closer together, until there is very low pulse pressure between them-so 80/65 is not uncommon for me,when I first stand up.

Does anyone else have this low blood pressure after a night in bed, and what if anything helps to avoid it falling too much? When I go to bed it is often not too bad-110/60 is quite common, but a night lying flat seems to cause it to drop like a stone.

Mornings are the worst time for me until I have had a few drinks to get hydrated.

The main issue seems to be low blood pressure which is usually less than 90/60. On rising the pulse shoots up by 40 or so, and the already low BP numbers get closer together, until there is very low pulse pressure between them-so 80/65 is not uncommon for me,when I first stand up.

Does anyone else have this low blood pressure after a night in bed, and what if anything helps to avoid it falling too much? When I go to bed it is often not too bad-110/60 is quite common, but a night lying flat seems to cause it to drop like a stone.

I experience the same thing. In the morning's my pulse will go from 65 laying down to 140 standing ... blood pressure goes from a normal 100/60 to a narrow pulse pressure at around 90/75. I have many days where the pulse pressure has been less than ten points - so 90 over 82 isn't too shocking to me either.

All I can do is take my beta blocker (that's all I'm on now that I'm pregnant), down some water and load up on salt. It takes me an hour to get up out of bed every day. Oh, and compression stockings are a must for me as well (HATE those things, but am completely dependent on them now much to my dismay).

Guest tearose

Yes! Mornings are very hard because my bp can get very low. Even 70/50. I have to be careful moving around and I have to SLOWLY hydrate, take caffeine and then get into compression. It can take me 2-3 hours before I am steady at 110/70. If I drink more before bed, I have to get up more to pee and then have worse sleep. Bed tilting did NOT work for me...actually made me get migraines.

Are you also light sensitive in the morning?

I've read several places that all POTS symptoms are usually worse in the morning. When I first get up, I'll go from 100/65 laying down, to 75/62 or 63 (sometimes it'll hit the mid-60s over 50) standing, while my pulse goes from 60 to 115-140. I have a diagnosis of POTS with orthostatic hypotension, and my BP is always low. My bradycardia (very slow heart rate) got to the point where I had to have a pacemaker placed about 3 years ago.

Get up slowly from bed, and my doctor advised me to have something salty by the bed to eat before I even tried to get up. Pretzels, Gatorade with extra salt, etc. Be careful, because if your BP drops too low too fast, you may faint. I'm a fainter - you need to move slowly.

Cheers,

Jana