Anyone Else Have A Handicap Tag?

I have been wavering back and forth about whether to apply for one. Most days, I don't really have that much use for one (I like to frequent local businesses, so less parking spots.... closer to the door), but the days that I can barely walk to the end of the driveway, I really, really wish I had one. Especially for my college, since usually the time my classes start, the closest parking spot is at least a 100 yards away. I imagine that if I got one, I would get the placard that I would hang from my rear view mirror, so I could take it down if I was having a decent day, but easily put it up if I was having trouble.

Anways, would I fit the critera (especially on bad days) to be eligable for a handicapped tag.. Should I got ahead and see about getting one?

I have a temporary placard and will probably end up getting permanent plates. They have really saved me on days I've felt good enough to run errands but know that walking to the store plus walking around the store = me dead for the next few days. I don't use it if I actually feel ok and I always give up my spot to cute old people. But it's really been a godsend, and if you need it, I'd go for it.

I have one, and on some days I really need it. Other days I don't use it if I'm feeling up to walking. I'd say to go ahead and get one. You need your doc's signature on the state form, and it's a pretty easy process. In AZ, you're not suppose to drive with it up, so I keep mine in my dash and take it out as needed.

J

I just want to throw this into the mix - I also have a wheelchair for the same reason. When I'm really low and need to be out and walking for awhile, I'll use it. It stays in the back of my trunk. I don't have to use it often, but boy, sometimes it's the only way I can do things. They're tools to make our lives easier, why not use them when needed? My doc gave me a prescription, and with my insurance, it was free.

Hi,

I have both a handicap tag and a wheelchair. I got a prescription for the wheelchair from my doctor. I use them on the days I need to and leave them at home on the days I don't.

~ Broken_Shell B)

I have one. I use is when I go out alone... if I can't find a close spot. You don't have to use it if you don't need to.

Not a big deal to get.. just fill out the paperwork. You will get looks but I have started just telling people when I need help that I have a heart problem.

I have one too. To "qualify" for one all you need a prescription from your doctor. You take the prescription to the DMV(where you get your drivers license) and they give you the temporary place card. I don't know about getting a permanent one. Its actually illegal to drive with the placecard hanging from your rear view mirror. So yes you can just put it up on the days you need it. THat's what I do. I'd much rather park closer and walk a long distance inside a store then walk a long time in a parking lot. It seems safer for me.

After much thinking and deliberation (and everyone's input on this thread... thank you! B):P ) I have decided that I will go ahead and apply for the placard. I know that I will need it mostly for when school starts back, because like I said, it's over 100 yards walking at times, especially if I get there early for my class (usually the second one of the day, and the people in the first class aren't out yet)... sometimes it's difficult for me to go more than 100 feet, and the state law in TN is if the person is unable to walk 200 feet without having to rest or without assistance, so I definately fit under that criteria. Apparently it's pretty straightforward: just print off the application, fill out the first half of it, have my MD fill out the second half, and then turn it into the county clerk, who forwards it to the TN Dept. of Safety. I am unsure when I will get the placard after that, but it is the Dept. of Safety who issues it.

I am going to apply for the permanent one, because though my cardiologist stated that though I may "grow out" of POTS, it wouldn't be until I at least hit menopause, and that I would never really fully have relief from symptoms... just that they probably won't be as severe when I'm older.

I just got one this summer. In arizona with heat it has really helped me. No one has ever said or given me a funny look because I don't look sick. I didn't know you weren't suppose to leave them on your mirror when driving, why is that? I knew that I needed to get one when I realized those motorized grocery carts where some thing that maybe I might just need to use. I haven't used one yet, being able to park closer to the door when it's hot has helped keep me from jumping into one, okay maybe not jumping, maybe falling would be a better word.

You may as well get the permanent one. I got a temporary one, (it took me about 2-3 weeks to get) and then ended up having to repeat the process because of course I hadn't gotten better in those 5=6 months.

Yes, being in AZ too, I can totally relate to the summers! They don't want you keeping your placard hanging because they think it could impede your view while driving. Easy enough to put it up and take it down, though...

MY 1ST PLACARD WAS FOR A YEAR. THE ONE I HAVE NOW IS FOR 5 YEARS AND IN MASS IT GETS YOU IN TO ALL THE STATE PARKS FOR FREE. FOUND OUT BY ACCIDENT ONE DAY AS WE WENT TO PAY FOR A DAY AT THE BEACH. ( LET'S SAY I PAID FOR IT LATER, FINDIND OUT THE SUN AND POTS ARE NOT A GOOD MIX)

I JUST THOUGHT YOU TOOK WHAT THE R.O.M.V. DECIDED TO GIVE YOU. SO I WAS THRILLED TO GET FIVE YEARS. WILL HAVE TO SEE HOW I GET A PERMENT ONE.

BELLAMIA~

In TN, you pay $21 for the first permanant one (it lasts for 2 years), and then after that, it's $3 every time it's renewed. I am going to my GP (she should have received my records from my cardiologist by now) tomorrow to have that part of the paperwork filled out, and then to the county clerk's office. School starts back this Thursday (though I have to Thursday classes), and I hope to have one by the time I'm back in school. I have a full load, and I'd like to be able to not have to drop classes.

The placard in mass is free but you need a doctor to complete the application. I could never walk anywhere. I'm so breathless just walking to the bathroom.

Bellamia~