Hemorrhoids - Insight From Bad Experience

potsgirl

Hello Everyone~

I was just wondering how many people on the forum suffer from hemorrhoids, due to our sitting so much and our digestive issues that can cause either constipation or diarrhea. I just got through a miserable experience where I had a large hemorrhoid that became 'thrombosed', meaning it had blood clots in it, and it was strangling itself. Excruciating pain, and nothing was helping - sitz baths, witch hazel, Prep H, etc. Today my surgeon had to open it up and take out the blood clots so it would heal. If anyone develops a hemorrhoid around the size of a grape or larger that is red/purple and very painful, make sure you have a doctor look at it quickly. They need to be removed within a couple of days so the blood clots don't move into other parts of your body.

Just wanted to share some medical advice that I certainly didn't know before! Yikes. :o

Cheers,

Jana

Ouch!!!!! I hope you are feeling better really soon. I feel for you my dear friend. xxx's bellamia~

Thanks for this timely post, Jana.

I had a great deal of bleeding last May and during a few hours in emergency was told it was hemorroids. Because I was in the midst of a move, I couldn't see the gastroenterologist.

In the past month I've had problems with loose BMs and once in a while, diarrhea. I had tests for this today and got a call from the GP's office that she has made an appt with a new gastro in this new city. He was recommended to me by a niece so I feel good about him and all the write-ups about him are great.

I'm pleased that things are moving so quickly but am scared at the same time. Past colonoscopies were unpleasant except for the last one in 2005 when I had to have a CT colonosc because the gastro said it wasn't safe for me to have a regular colonosc. However, my research shows that if something shows up that needs to be removed, then a normal colonos has to be done anyway. More scary than ever. Compounding this scare is all the problems we deal with due to Dysauronomia. For one thing I need to drink tons , as we all do, but I've read where we can't drink anything for 6 to 8 hours before the test. I know from past experiences that this could cause me to faint. More scary, but I have to have it done.

Can anyone tell or assure me that all will be okay. I've even decided that I have to update my Will and write down what I want for my funeral. I've intended to do this for the past 7 months but never felt able.

Thanks for any advice or reassurance that anyone may be able to give to me. Believe me, It will be most appreciated.

Mary P

I have POTS and I'm a fainter. I had some bleeding problems recently after I started taking Aspirin for a heart defect. I had a colonoscopy and It wasn't too bad. They had a ton of gatorade factored into the equation and it all went fine for me! I laid around the day of. It was only 4 hours prior for mine of no liquids and prior to that it was clear liquids! Good luck! Mine were just little Hemhroids(spelled wrong I'm sure) Thanks goodness. They sound miserable!!!

Take care!

Brye

It's been a while since I've had an entire colonoscopy done, but I'm sure you'll be fine. The hardest part for me is drinking all of the God-awful fluid...Don't worry about dehydration, you have to drink a good gallon of this formula to help clean you out the day before, and you can only have clear liquids that day, too. It's over quickly, and you'll be given something to relax you and help with the small amount of pain that could occur.

You'll be fine! Just get it over with, and relax! (And bring someone to drive you home afterward.)

Cheers,

Jana

Hello everyone,

Thanks Brye and potsgirl. I'll think of you as I try to get down that 'god-awful' cleanser. I've thrown up on other occasions but read where one gal drank it using a straw and put the straw close to her throat so she didn't have to taste it so much. I'm going to try this but will first practice with gatorade.My son gave me a cleanser that takes off those stickers that sometimes adhere so completely to new items, i.e., dishes, and I can't use it because it smells exactly like that stuff we have to drink for a colonos. It nauseates me.

Potsgirl, did you mean that the hospital supply gatorade for you or did you take it with you? I'd like if they could give me gatorade through an I V. Then I'd feel more relaxed. ha ha

Can anyone tell me if I'll be allowed to wear my support hose during the procedure? I can't safely get out of bed and walk without first exercising my legs and then putting on my hose.

Mary P

I've had 'em since about 20 yrs old. Generally do OK but did have one swell up huge once (after a chiropractor shock/ultrasound treatment to lower back that also resulted in little tumors a week later). I didn't realize Hemorrhoids could throw clots. I will definitely have the thing taken care of if one swells up huge again.

I wonder how long a generated clot could hang around afterward... I had an unexplained hemoptsys (coughing blood) several years later. One cause can be pulmonary embolism (blockage in lungs from something, such as a clot). I'd figure clots don't usually linger that long, but maybe they can??? or perhaps the roids were acting up at that time too and I just ignored it as best I could, I don't recall.

The gatorade was with my instructions to mix with the miralax I had to take. The miralax powder mixed in the gatorade wasn't really all that awful. I drank 32ozs of miralax/gatorade the eve before and the morning of. I would think you could wear your support stockings during if they're only thigh high ones.

Hope all goes well!!

Brye