Restless Legs Are So Bad - Help

Hi

My restless legs are really killing me at night. Not only do my legs start to cramp but when it wakes me I get a shot of adrenaline that makes me wide a wake and even worse totally wired. This went on for hours last night. Any tips?? I have been quite posty over the last week so maybe it is just part of the package. My lyme treatment might be stirring things up. I eventually broke down and took an ativan and got in the yoga position child's pose - finally got some rest. Heat doesn't help but being really cold is a problem too. I need to warm up my bed a bit before I get in. But hot baths make things worse for me. Sorry I am babbling but dreading the night!

I had restless legs throughout my last pregnancy, and it was horrible! I really feel for you. I only sometimes get it now, and I find that making my back perfectly straight helps, or turning on my side and putting one leg straight and one bent. When it was really bad, turning on my side wouldn't help, but straightening my back has always alleviated it at least to some degree.

I hope that does something for you. :(

hi Lina,

i take a great product of sublingual b-12, folic acid, & b-6----called BIOTICS RESEARCH B12 -2000

my dad had restless legs years ago--and we were told to give him folic acid--which worked.

also learned--don't take more than 800 mcg per day.

i been on this product for years, as, helps keep homocystine level in blood down---which prevents heart attacks and strokes.

anyways--place to buy is http://store.agoodvitamin.com/bireb160lo.html

can't find in health food stores---just some alternative med docs handle it.

anyways--works for me for the lregs---and plus--great absorbtion of b-12, b-6.

hope this helps!

God bless---wishing you good rest realll soon!

-pam-

I have to warm up my bed with an electric matress pad and I have to have 3 quilts on me along with my litlle warm blooded dog who slips under the sheets for heat. I save my calc/mag pill for when I wake in the middle of the night as It tends to wipe out your meds when taken with other meds.

bellamia~

This is happening to me on a nightly basis now (12 weeks pregnant). I've had it for years, back when I was 12 I remember getting it. It's AWFUL. It's gotten so bad that my muscles actually seize up and twitch now. I was up last night just laying in bed crying until 4am. Every night I go to bed dreading it ... I would get up and walk around, but my heart gets so bad at night that I can't do that. I am getting it in my arms and hands as well as my entire legs.

I take magnesium and potassium as well as iron supplements, get moderate exercise (as I am able) during the day, don't do any kind of caffeine at all, try to practice good sleep hygiene (this is a big one for me ... because the longer I lay in bed before actually trying to sleep the worse it gets), try yoga and meditation with relaxing music, I wear ear plugs and a sleep mask and have to have the right temperature which is a tough one. I am either freezing, so I'll turn on my space heater next to the bed (no electric blanket with a little one in bed with me and being pregnant) ... then I'll wake up in a puddle of sweat. I can never get my body at a comfortable level.

Before getting pregnant I was taking .25mg Klonopin at bedtime, and this seemed to alleviate the RLS for the most part. Oh, I miss that relief!!! I can't imagine another 6 months of this ... well, make that several more years because I won't want to take with a nursing baby either.

I have to have my feet touching the foot of the bed so that I can flex my legs over and over when the creepy crawlies get too strong and I am just too tired to do any other kind of movement to relieve it. It *****!! I totally empathize with you!

I suffer from RLS myself, so I am reading this thread hoping for an answer.

I want people to know the few things that I already know about RLS, and that is:

There is a blood test that tests for serum iron, and if this is below a certain number (70, I think?), even when it's in the normal range, you may need supplementation as this lower iron score can contribute. You do not need to be diagnosed with anemia for this to occur. I have not found this of benefit to me personally, because taking iron pills caused problems of their own.

Certain medications can make RLS worse. I am on one that does this. It is an antihistamine called hydroxyzine HCL. Other antihistamines can worsen you as well. I was told the best one for RLS is allegra. I need the one I take because it is a great help for my interstitial cystitis.

I am going to ask my doctor about the B-12/folic acid combo mentioned on this thread. Normally, any vitamin that says Folic acid, hurts my stomach, esophagus and bladder, so I am necessarily limited.

i was on hydroxine for years and my leg pain and restlessness was insane. I'm on Alegra now 24/7 and have neuraphy and deep bone pain and hot spots, but don't really have to move my legs all around.

bellamia~