Super Bored

roxie

I have such trouble with boredom. I want to do things but am to exhausted. When I force myself to do things I feel worse and want to cry because it takes so long to recover and i have nothing to occupy myself in between. I've kindof had enough of tv, movies, radio,and audiobooks soo...does anyone know of anything to do that you don't have to actually use energy, concnetration of movement to do?

i know this is a weird question but its a real problem for me

~bananas

I have such trouble with boredom. I want to do things but am to exhausted. When I force myself to do things I feel worse and want to cry because it takes so long to recover and i have nothing to occupy myself in between. I've kindof had enough of tv, movies, radio,and audiobooks soo...does anyone know of anything to do that you don't have to actually use energy, concnetration of movement to do?

i know this is a weird question but its a real problem for me

~bananas

I read a lot. But then my arms get tired! XD

I also like coloring books and drawing. I play with dolls and toys, too, childish as it seems, because it keeps me feeling young at heart. :3 I like to look at picture books. I like to cuddle in bed and tell stories. I like to write. I like to make things up when I'm too tired and then when I feel better, type like crazy to get them out! :3

I play lots of simple puzzle games on my Nintendo DSi, laptop and lately my new iPod touch.

"Chuzzle" is a favourite of mine - cute fluffy pom-poms with eyes that you have to match into groups of 3. Yery addictive but doesn't need much concentration, especially on the "zen" game.

I also like "bejeweled" and other repetitive games.

Flop

I just googled IAMBORED.COM + FOUND A lot of silly things to do there if you're bored. I did a few before I left. lol! BEWARE, there is all kinds of stuff there to entertain one so I hope you're a mature audience.

I myself like reading Digg.

Most magazines are online for free to read.

I used to be addicted to scrabble blast a free game and good for the brain.

Scribbler is very fun.

Talk to strangers for free at http://omegle.com/

you chat with others one on one. It's funny!

I hope one of these helped you.

xxx's

Bellamia~

Bananas- I get bored too. This was a great question. I am not a tv person- and I am sick of it. Sometimes I have trouble reading but I do have a Kindle and I can download free books from bed.

I sometimes I play games on my children's webkinz site.

Last winter I played a mystery game on the wii. and did a puzzle in our dinning room ( somewhat hard on the eyes).

I used to do decupage (spelling) and easy crafty things.

My aunt wants me to get into making quilts. I tried to make a robe for my daughter but I screwed it up and never went back to it.

I am cooking more b/c I got a rolling stool for my kitchen.

I started writing the "story " of my children's early childhood.

I used to paint pre-made bird houses- but I ran out of people to give them to!

I made jewelery for a while. It was fun- if you get a sewing basket you can keep all the stuff together and just do it when you feel like.

I am thinking about joining a daytime Bible study (worried about driving because it is a little far).

Scrapbooking depresses me. Not sure if that is normal? Knitting was too hard!

Let me know what you do because I need something to do. Also I have very little talent and possible less energy ( might be a toss up!)

I like to watch TV and movies on my laptop and playing games on my phone or Gameboy. Also since I've gotten sick:

- I have written my memoirs (I figured it might be encouraging or interesting to someone someday)

- I started volunteering for DINET. I can do everything by email pretty much.

- I listen to books on CD

- I was cross-stitching by my hands hurt too much now

- I snuggle with my doggies :rolleyes:

I hear you. Boredom is a major problem. On good days, I can feel almost normal if I'm laying in bed doing nothing. It's that getting-up-thing that causes the trouble.

So, what does one do? I'm blessed to have always been a very avid reader. Granted, after all of this set in, I practically had to teach myself to read again, and I do it very differently now than I did previously. I also enjoy crossword puzzles, and can I just say Thank God for DVR/Tivo? I can record shows I like and watch them at my own pace. I also enjoy the computer (surprise, surprise) and one of my main outlets on-line are several political blogs. Always loved politics, and in my political circle, there's many people who find themselves in similar physical circumstances. I've made several great on-line friends through this.

Someone mentioned repetitive games....I play one rather like bejeweled...it's "biotronic". Mindless, yet it satisfies something in my brain. I also have a hand held yahtzee game that is my constant companion.

Hi ? it is hard to keep occupied when you spend so much time indoors ... I am so glad i bought the Nintendo DS last year it kept me busy whilst i was stuck in bed with the flu and has continued to entertain me since ..... I have scrabble and I have completed the brain training one and two these were not fun like the others ... professor Layton?s curious village and the Pandora?s box both where really good ..... my latest is Sherlock Holms the mystery of the mummy .. just started it, it seem to be going well ... the time flies by when your absorbed in it .... The DS is good because you can play it lying down as I get tired sitting at my computer ...

Also a good idea and an amusing one is ?.. start a story for fun on the chit chat - social pages for everyone to join in this way you get to write off topic and it can be amusing to see what someone else has added ... it can go on an on .....

Start something like a .. Ten word story or maybe a one sentence story, so that no one can write to much and see where it goes ? its fun ....

What about researching your family tree? So much is available online now- you can access all kinds of records from the comfort of bed that one used to have to travel hundreds of miles to see in the flesh. My mum and I started looking at this and went back 250 years in the course of an afternoon on one side of the family- fascinating isn't the word; we were hooked!

Alternatively, you could do the work today that I keep putting off....reading about theories behind sight and perception in the later middle ages. MAn, this stuff should be prescribed for people with insomnia, it would soon sort out their sleeplessness! :P

From my own experience, something that brings with it a sense of accomplishment makes me feel better- no matter how small the accomplishment. If I feel like I've atleast achieved SOMETHING then I don't feel so useless/overwhelmed/low in mood about the bad spells.

Unfortunately I haven't got the pacing quite right on this yet- my schedule is unremitting and means that even if I feel horrific I can never EVER have a full day off, so I have to be persistent, but there are times when persisting makes me worse. I generally need to be told by someone else when to call time on attempting to read/work etc- usually either my Doctor or my Supervisor. It's been like this for five years!

Thanks for the input! I guess my problem isn't so much what to do, i have tons of things I want to do, books to read, stories to write, crafts to make, things to learn online but how to do them? I get tired with 20 minutes and then have to rest for like 2 hours. once I get out of that 'deep" rest I get bored. When I try to do something to soon I feeel sick

doesn't gameboy or nintendo ds bother your eyes and make you nauseas and dizzy? video games have done that to me in the past but i've never tried nintendo ds

I have always found the novelty of the short stories to be light hearted fun, they are off topic and are something we could all add a little to each day .... we could get one started and see how it goes ....

i do not know if the DS affects your eyes ... i enjoy using mine although i am not on it for very long periods of time as i get tired and need to pace myself with everything i do ....

Oh, also- whoever it was that said their wrists hurt when reading- you can now buy a book chair- it's a small lightweight wooden device, likee a mini deck chair for a book and it holds the pages o the book open for you so you don't hve to. It also holds the book upright at 90 degrees so you don't have to strain your neck to read.

Check out www.bookchair.com

Strategies like that- which minimise my pain and discomfort generrally helpme attempt tasks that are difficult when I'm not well.

I hear that... that's a major problem for me as well. My husband works long hours (mostly because I'm unable to work) and I have very few friends that live close. So I find myself bored and lonely quite often!

I tend to jump around in the things I do - a lot! I'll do one thing (and only one thing) for like 2-3 weeks, then switch to something new and come back to it again later... read, I've been writing a novel, knit, draw, etc...

I think the funnest things I do is blog almost every day ( www.new2babycakes.blogspot.com ) Here, I write about almost everything from family to politics to photography to crazy, fun thoughts to POTS - it's kinda therapeutic. I've found a few other blogs that I follow and/or do contests for. It's something new every day so it's not so tedious.

Good luck filling the time...

Hollie

Guest tearose

You got some great ideas here. Just reading all the things makes me tired though! :P

I remember, not that long ago, when I was in relapse mode, it was doing something that would "last" that made me feel good. Like I needed to see something concrete I accomplished. Like a puzzle or craft. Then the energy I used seemed to be very valuable and I felt more charged.

What about researching your family tree?

If you would like to volunteer from your home computer with an organization that extracts the geneaology records so that others can find their ancestors:

familysearchindexing.org.

Its really easy to sign up, you see the records right on your screen and then enter in their online form what the record says. You can pick which country you want to do etc. You can decide whether to do 5 minutes or hours, whatever you desire.

The records feed into family searching libraries worldwide.

I did this nonstop when I had a bad round of bronchitis. It was absolutely addicting and I loved feeling that even though I felt in bad health, I was helping others connect with their families. It is very, very interesting and I'm kind of a snoopy person so I picked the death records. That sounds morbid now that I see it in type, but its fun to keep a history site up at the same time and find out what was going on in the area during the time the people lived.

Give it a spin!

Kits