Is This A 'normal' Pots Reaction To Flying?

lauralulu

I was monitering my HR after a recent 4 hour flight abroad. This puzzled more than concerned me, I am not sure whether the device had stopped working properly, although it's worked fine since.

Basically, I was sitting in the car and my HR would leap from around 80 to something crazy like 190 (that was the highest leap anyway) and then go back down to around 80 or 90. What was even stranger was during these sudden leaps, I didn't actually feel anything, which is what made me think maybe my watch was malfunctioning... although one symptom I did have was later, I had what I call 'painful palpitations' although I was wearing my watch at the time of these too and there were no jumps or even slight raises during these palps so I have no idea.

I was once wearing my heart rate monitor during walking exercise in the mall, and my HR did the same as yours did. It jumped way up. I freaked myself out.

Then, I found out on this forum, that the watches react to other interference, though, I cannot remember what just now??

I quit worrying about it. In my case, it was the watch, not me.

I was once wearing my heart rate monitor during walking exercise in the mall, and my HR did the same as yours did. It jumped way up. I freaked myself out.

Then, I found out on this forum, that the watches react to other interference, though, I cannot remember what just now??

I quit worrying about it. In my case, it was the watch, not me.

Yeah, I did assume it was some kind of interference because I felt totally normal. Weird though, wonder what it was!

Cell phone? Magnetic strips on bank cards if your purse was right next to you? It definitely sounds like it was the watch, I think.

I used to measure my bp regularly but in the end I stopped doing it because the more I tried it, th higher or lower the readings would go- my anxiety about it made the readings worse. Now I just accept that there are times when my pulse is nuts, and when my bp goes bananas. They are usually short lived, and so there is little use in knowing exactly what my hr or bp does and when- it's not like I need to rush to a Dr and get them to fix it; it will resolve on its own.

A friend of mine has a structural defect in his heart, and the last time he had a really bad episode of arrhythmia he had to be cardioverted, but the GP didn't even *think* of sending him to the hospital until the tachycardia had been going for 24 hours SOLID. Even then, they weren't in a rush at the hospital.

Less than a month ago I had an episode where my pulse spiked 200 during a migraine- the monitor alarms were sounding and the nurses just disconnected me from the monitors! While I don't think they were 100% right in doing that, I think they were savvy enough to know that I wasn't going to die or suffer any terrible collapse as the tachycardia kept resolving spontaneously.

Yeah, I don't do it anymore, thankfully seeing that happen didn't freak me out as I felt totally fine, so I just thought it was the electric windows in the car interfering with the watch at first, and then when that was ruled out, I thought it was just broken! Just thought I'd check out of interest, more than anything. I'm a curious type, I like to know and understand why the body does certain things, and just wondered if there was a chance it could have been a strange reaction of sorts to flying. Glad it was as I suspected 'just the watch'.

I was originally taking heart rate measurements for the purpose of gathering some readings to show my GP to prove that I wasn't 'crazy' or 'stressed'. Payed off, and now the watch sits on my desk doing nothing... comes in handy if I want to see the time at night thanks to the handy button which lights up the screen :rolleyes: