Dizzy And Very Lightheaded From Talking

carinara

Oh wow oh wow oh wow. This website has answered so many things just from this page. I’m having so many of these symptoms. I just never had them when i was young and fitter. I t was triggered through exhaustion from work, unhealthy marriage, that depression/anxiety, then misdiagnosis and labeling, then poorly prescribed tablets especially Tegretol for me that has given me a wobbly head with symptoms that are like Akathsia and Dystonia (Cranial choreic?)My body is stuffed but there’s always hope. Thank you for all of you speaking up. Love to know what you have pin pointed that would be recommended for myself. I’m in Australia and hoping that we have the same access as you all

This is something I too get, and as with all my Dysautonomia symptoms, it started when they gave me beta blockers so it wasn't a gradual thing, it was sudden.

I first described it as if I could no longer feel my lungs working, or my breathing was no longer automatic, that I had to think about it and when busy talking, I would forget to breathe.

My cardiologist did lung function tests and initially claimed it must be anxiety as my lung function was good. I had to inform him about Autonomic Nephropathy to get him to retract the anxiety nonsense.

I take my sats, even when connected to the hospital machine, I could see it about 87% whilst still awake, but I have also seen my oxygen reach 99%. What is starange is that I get the breathless, air hunger, when my oxygen level is high, not when it is too low.

I have a theory that it is yet another symptom of Dysautonomia in that  the Autonomic Nervous System has receptors that detect the amount of oxygen in our blood, and get our lungs and heart to automatically compensate, even whilst we are unaware and asleep. When this goes wrong, we get false messages telling us we need more oxygen, even when we dont.

Hi everyone!  I've just recently started researching dysautonomia/pots as so many of my symptoms relate.  I don't know that I have it, just suspect it could be a possibility.  I am always light headed/dizzy, have episodes of tachycardia.  Generally my heart rate is fine with lying, sitting, and then can go from 60-70 to 150 when up and about, it was misdiagnosed as SVT for years.  I am 4 weeks post op from Chiari decompression surgery and from what I read many chiarians also have pots/dysatonomia.  I came across this forum when trying to learn why I feel faint mid sentence and have to stop talking.  This also happens if I start laughing, I have to stop myself as I get really light headed and sometimes start to black out.  Does this happen to you with laughing as well?  Sometimes the same sensation I get in my head/chest from talking and laughing will occur with no trigger which is an unsettling feeling.  Also, how do you guys treat this?  I've read some take beta blockers, which I wonder if this is from low blood pressure, how a beta blocker would work as it lowers the BP further.  I can't tolerate beta blockers as it makes my CNS feel very depressed.  Other treatment remedies aside from beta blockers?  I read a post where a lady drinks a gatorade when she feels this way as the electrolytes pull her out of it.  Any thoughts/input would be so appreciated!  Thank you!!!

• 3 months later...

I know this is older thread...just found it through a Google search..of course lol.   Just had those this morning during a conference call.   I had to stop...reset...try not to panic.. 

I have Ton's of neck tension.  Back problems.  I'm waking up stretching and getting dizzy from.the act of stretching.  Standing in the shower.  

But I'm tracking blood pressure.  Noooo drops. No drops in pulse either.  But if I stand too long one spot I feel.like I'll fall over.  I have to like bounce from foot to foot.   Shift my weight.  

I get some imbalance moving my head like today.  My jaw is tight.  Bit we are on a crazy weather pattern here in New England with constant pressure changes. 

Terrified I'll lose my job.  Single parent.  No support. But ik having more and more instances where I'm scared to drive.  I am supposed to start propranolol but on Prednisone which I'm sure is really messing me up.   

• 3 months later...

I stumbled across this and I think I may be able to help you guys. In 2014 I was diagnosed with POTS and had every symptom under the sun. The worst was this one! I wasn’t able to talk, laugh, or sing without getting woozy. I ended up finding a certified nutritionist who was very familiar with POTS and Dysautonomia (she had it as well, and healed herself) and she put me on the GAPS intro diet. Within two weeks of the diet I was able to hold a conversation like a NORMAL PERSON! The gut is directly related to neurological issues (Dysautonomia, ADD, psychological disorders, etc) so when you heal your gut you’re also healing your disease. 

Fastforward 4 years after a few rounds of antibiotics and I’m back to my old symptoms. Going back on the GAPS diet! I  encourage y’all to try it. It’s hard, but when you’re rock bottom what else can you do?  

Had three days of Autonomic Testing at UCLH this past week.

The technicians leave it to the doctor to share the results, so I don't know what they found. I did notice however that my blood pressure was 157 when standing and that it quickly went down to 114 when lying down, The technician also seemed to do something extra, "to be sure", when measuring blood adrenaline levels before and after tilt testing.

So wondering if I have Hyperadrenergic POTs, I do get some of its symptoms such as the edema.

But for the purpose of this thread, I read, :- " People with hyperadrenergic POTS seem to experience an increase in symptoms when any event occurs that causes an even greater release of norepinephrine. "

Wondering if just the act of talking increases adrenaline levels which put us further into fight/flight mode, constricting blood vessels which increase blood pressure, getting us to breathe harder in case we need to run? making us feel out of breath for no reason, because the body wants that oxygen for something more important than talking?

@Peter Charlton - glad to hear you finally had proper testing. I have hyperPOTS and - yes, the simple act of talking or even reading can cause symptoms of elevated NE levels. When I am in a bad spell the very simplest things can cause a surge: talking, hearing birds chirp outside, the phone ringing, TV/radio …. and of course the worst is getting up and down often. When I get that bad I practically have to lie in bed in a dark room and not even interact with my family (which of course is not possible ). Sometimes - if I have a flare with extreme hypertension and resulting syncope or seizures my PCP has to put me in hospital for fluids for 24 hours. The bedrest, quiet and fluids stop the flare every time. --- This is not a practical solution of course but I wanted to share that indeed - talking can be enough to irritate the ANS. --- Please let us know what your testing showed. You can also PM me if you want - I have learned a lot about hyperPOTS through the years and can share some of my experiences with different meds and treatments if you are interested. Best of luck!!!

11 hours ago, Pistol said:

@Peter Charlton - glad to hear you finally had proper testing. I have hyperPOTS and - yes, the simple act of talking or even reading can cause symptoms of elevated NE levels. When I am in a bad spell the very simplest things can cause a surge: talking, hearing birds chirp outside, the phone ringing, TV/radio …. and of course the worst is getting up and down often. When I get that bad I practically have to lie in bed in a dark room and not even interact with my family (which of course is not possible ). Sometimes - if I have a flare with extreme hypertension and resulting syncope or seizures my PCP has to put me in hospital for fluids for 24 hours. The bedrest, quiet and fluids stop the flare every time. --- This is not a practical solution of course but I wanted to share that indeed - talking can be enough to irritate the ANS. --- Please let us know what your testing showed. You can also PM me if you want - I have learned a lot about hyperPOTS through the years and can share some of my experiences with different meds and treatments if you are interested. Best of luck!!!

Thanks Pistol, I will see what the results are, the technicians didnt give any impression they found anything wrong, and I didn't feel anything drastic from the TTT, though it feels so much nicer lying down.

Can I ask is one of the symptoms of HyperPOTs an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach when drinking?, I have lost my sense of hunger and feel full with much smaller meals than I used to eat, but I am thinking maybe I should be drinking more, but it hurts my stomach a bit.

Its also quite convoluted for me to interact with this site. Even though I have the box ticked, I get no notifications, my password is never recognised either, so I have to click the forgotten password box to reset it, but then when I click on the e-mail link, that same password is already there and I don't need to change it! Just mentioning this in case I miss kind words people might say and wonder why I dont respond.

• 8 months later...

I have experienced this for years now! I can remember the day that it was triggered though. I had an intense coughing episode (I had a bad cold at the time, and am prone to coughing fits even when I'm just mildly sick.) But I coughed so hard that I felt an incredibly intense and painful sensation across the back of my head - like I had been electrocuted. I felt like passing out and nearly did. I regained my composure but shortly after that episode (within an hour) I returned to work from a lunch break and felt suddenly nauseous and weak, my vision completely flipped on its side and I was having such bad vertigo. I could hardly form words as well; I was coherent, but my speech felt drunken.
An ambulance was called and by the time I made it to the hospital, I was feeling much better. They ran heart tests and everything checked out fine so they figured it was just a syncope episode.

For nearly a year after that, I had trouble turning my head in certain positions because the zapping, dizzy sensation would return and almost knock me off my feet. I had trouble driving. I began developing other symptoms such as shortness of breath, inability to stand for long periods or maintain conversations. 

It's been about 4 years now - I still experience a lot of these symptoms, it's like my nervous system is completely fried.  I get dizzy and disoriented incredibly easily now, I have to "manually" breathe a lot of the time because my brain will forget to do it automatically, I wake up gasping for air a lot at night. My social life has been terrible these last few years because I've developed panic attacks too :( 

Sometimes, I wonder if it was a mini stroke...some kind of brain stem damage? Dysautonomia (POTS) are all on my list of conditions I majorly identify with too. I've been reading a lot about the RCCX gene theory and Dr. Sharon Meglathery's research. Many members of my family are hypermobile - lots of contenders for EDS (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome) but it's difficult to find someone who can diagnose. If anyone finds more information, please share!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I first starting having symptoms like this about 7 years ago. The only thing that turned up in my diagnostics was a high hematocrit(56). If I spoke, I got terribly dizzy, but only within a few hours of having had a meal. On an empty stomach I did much better. Well, I found the reason why my hematocrit was high, was able to correct it, and my symptoms went away. Now several years later my hematocrit is normal but the symptoms are back. I can only assume the problem is vascular in nature at this point.  More diagnostics pending but nothing has turned up thus far.  I strongly suspect that tension in my neck is cutting off the blood supply to my brain while I talk.  I’ll let you know if I solve my mystery. 

• 8 months later...

Hi there.  
I am so desperate for advice on , I think is an ear issue.  
5 yes ago I got very sick with I think was labyrinthitus, I had a severe pain in my head for one week leading up to it, then the dizziness came and I would vomit and had to sit on the couch and litterly hold my head to move it, it was awful.  
that was 5 yrs ago and I seem to be left with symptoms that normal every day is I have to be careful I don’t talk to loud as it creates a bad headache. 
every 3/5 months I get a bad attack, same thing, headach comes then the dizziness a week later and talking is very difficult , I have to whisper as if I talk normal then I get very dizzy.  
Sometimes i get a crackle in my ear when I talk also.  
I explained this all to my doc and they have no idea , I asked them could I have damage in the ear tubes due to the original labrynthitus and he said no, I was shocked, what else could it be. 
it is really depilataing and I get quite depressed because of it. I can no longer go out with friends as I can join in the conversation.  
so sorry for long post but very desperate for help.   
I do yoga and meditate and other alternative stuff but nothing helps.  
thank you so much.  

@Liz Mack - Have you ever heard of Superior Canal Dehiscence?  It's an opening or a thinning of the semicircular canal in the inner ear.  You might want to look it up.  My daughters both have vertigo, POTS, EDS, and the list goes on.  My youngest was evaluated for it (close up CT), but doesn't have it.  Their problems are POTS and central nervous system related.  Another thought would be Eagle's Syndrome.  Please do some research on both of those, as you don't want to miss something, blame it on POTS, and live in misery.  Do you check your blood pressure and heart rate frequently?  Make sure you have an accurate blood pressure machine.  It's been our most valuable diagnostic tool!  I hope you get to feeling better soon!

• 4 months later...
On 5/9/2016 at 3:30 PM, Percythetrain said:

Oh my gosh! I can't believe you guys are describing what my issue is!! I have been been having this issue for over two years and keep getting blown off by doctors who say I'm anxious. I admit I'm a bit stressed out, but who wouldn't be if you're constantly exhausted from talking. Like all of you, it waxes and wanes to some degree with some days being terrible (can't say "hi" without getting extremely lightheaded) and other days being able to have short conversations before becoming ill. For some reason I haven't found someone to diagnose me yet. I saw a neurologist several months ago and he basically took a look at me, and said I was just anxious. It's true I might be anxious but getting exhausted while talking is not normal! :rolleyes:  

Does anybody have head and ear pressure as well? I'm trying to figure out whether this other symptom is related or unrelated to speech problem. It could be unrelated but it's just weird to me that I lately have constant head pressure AND trouble talking. 

Have you found out what this is attributed to?  I have ear pressure all the time  I have been to the ENT and my ears are fine.  I do have sinus issues with rhinititus (nasal dripping).

On 12/31/2009 at 5:44 PM, futurehope said:

I totally understand how this feels as I have this symptom. It makes no sense to me why talking makes me feel out of breath and exhausted? But, it does. Singing is impossible.

I do have some "good" days in which I can do a bit of singing, and I can talk with no problems.

I attribute the problem to POTS. I'll lip synch at church when I'm supposed to be singing. And I'll refrain from talking, if possible, when I'm feeling SOB. This is part of my "new normal".

Hi.  I see you mention  your addrenals.  What do you do or take for this? Thank you

• 2 years later...