H1n1/ Swine Flu Shots

yogini

Hi. I know a bunch of people were thinking about getting the H1N1. Did anyone go through with it? Did you have any reactions with POTS or otherwise? Would love to hear your stories.

Several of my relatives got it and they are all fine, without any reaction. I did hear of one person's 3 yr old daughter getting sick. I'm thinking of getting it now. I got an email saying that it is available in many Walgreens.

Guest tearose

I figured I would be better off getting the vaccine than trying to manage getting sick...I did fine.

Two days later, I did wind up with an ear infection and wondered if my immune system had been busy trying to deal with the vaccine and lowered my ability to avoid/fight the ear infection.

I had no flare in my POTS from the vaccine.

Hi, I had my seasonal flu vaccine as usual in October (no problems). Then in November I was called to my GP surgery for my H1N1 vaccine. The UK vaccine is different to the one being used in the USA so my comments might not be relevant to many of you. My arm was REALLY SORE for about 5 days afterwards. That evening I developed a fever, sore throat, headache and muscle aches - I thought it was a response to the vaccine (the info sheet did mention short lasting flu-like symptoms). Talking to my GP later on he thought that possibly it was actually a mild version of swine flu that made me ill. His theory is that I had picked up the virus a few days earlier and it was just co-incidence that I had the vaccine that day. Either way I am glad that I was only properly ill for 24 hours - much easier to cope with than a week in bed.

Flop

I think that the initial reports from Mexico caused a panic as it looked like a very lethal flu strain. If H1N1 had a high death rate (like the rate from SARS the other year) then we would have been facing a major international health crisis. However the current data shows that H1N1 actually has a lower death rate than seasonal flu. However the concern remains that as H1N1 is a new virus in humans (we don't have natural immunity to it), and it is easily transmitted person-to-person, it could mix with other more lethal forms of flu (such as bird flu) in the future to form a much more fearsom virus.

Either catching swine flu and having a mild-ish illness or having the vaccine should in theory offer protection against a possible future H1N1 super flu.

Flop