Safe Home Environment

Elfie

I am trying to make a decision about where I am going to live for the next six months. I was just wondering what you all have done in your home to make it safer/better for you and also what you consider to be unsafe. I am interested both in the home itself and how you deal with other people you live with. What adjustments have your family members, significant others, or roommates had to make? How have you all adjusted your living situation to better suit you with dysautonomia?

We have 2 sets of stairs I could do without. It forces me to exercise but I'm afraid of falling down on them. I'm thankful for my carpet since I'm a fainter. Must have a built in shower chair or accomodate a shower chair. I'm so thankful for my attached garage as well. That way if I do pass out at least I'm inside!

Good luck!!

Brye

I wish my home was all on one floor. I have 4 floors counting basement and attic which I use. Now that I have help I can take a shower when my help is here and not worry on second floor. I have wonderful neighbors who take care of my lawn and snow for free. I now sleep in a porch and have a comode for the night as I was fainting in the night going to the bathroom (I have a beautiful throw so it looks like a nice chair in the day time). I bring food to the bedroom and drinks to keep my self safe.

I wish I could move to everything on one floor, but I'm in a catch 22 so to speak. Long story SSDI. I would never be able to re-buy and have a mortgage.

I wish I didn't have to go upstairs to use the bathroom - if I had the money I would add a downstairs shower-room to my house (dream of having a spacious wetroom with an open shower).

My previous flat had hard floors so I bought a load of foam square jigsaw pieces (kids floor coverings, but they also do them for gyms etc) - that way if I did faint at least my head was slightly cushioned from the floor.

Stairs - have a "stair basket" at each end to put in all the things that need taking up or down stairs. Then if you have housemates / family they can take stuff up/down for you, otherwise just do one trip yourself not up and down all the time. (However don't use this for heavy items - get someone else to carry them if you can).

Bedroom supplies - under my bedside table I have a 2 litre bottle of water, a bottle of blackcurrant squash, and a stash of salty snacks. I can refill my water glass during the night without getting up. Also handy for when I feel dizzy and have to go lie down, then realise that I am hungry or short of salt - no need to go down to the kitchen when I am wobbly.

If you are a hot drinks person then either a good vacuum flask or a travel kettle in your bedroom are a good idea.

Flop

Hubby and I actually thought about moving and building the "ideal" home for me and any unfortunate progression in my condition. At the time we were a bit scared and we had a list of must haves:

All one floor, with at-grade entrances with no "threshold bumps."

Wide doors--wheelchair accessible width

All hallways wheelchair width

Open floorplan with few hallways

A "wet" bathroom with grab-bars and a completely accessible shower.

Variable counter heights in the bathrooms and kitchen

Pocket doors wherever possible

A separate "apartment" for a live-in caregiver (for me or the kids)

It hasn't come to this yet, but we still have the floorplans.