Pots, Sjogren's And All-over Tmi Girly Questions

The past few months (years) of my life have been pure **** just trying to stay alive. I wouldn't have figured out my POTS without the help of the internet, a kindred spirit, and persistence. I'd been sick for so long and dealt with doctors who either didn't believe me or knew I was sick and dehydrated, but kept giving me antibiotics.

I've been on an up-swing, but I'm hoping to figure out one of my other issues, which is my chronic skin dryness, chapped lips/tongue, dry-eye syndrome (bad enough that I can no longer wear contacts because the dryness has scarred my eyes too badly), and overall awful feeling, and am wondering if I need to ask my doctor about Sjogren's as well.

**GIRLS ONLY WHO DON'T MIND TMI**

My other random symptom that no doctor can get a handle on is persistent yeast infections, which occur whenever I have sex (dryness) or am in any type of heat. Does anyone else have this issue. Totally embarrassing to ask, but I'm trying so hard to sort out my life so I'm throwing it out there. Feel free to throw it back at me, I'll duck.

Anyway, any suggestions, anecdotes, funny pictures of cats dressed in funny hats would be appreciated. Hope everyone is enjoying (or surviving) the holidays!

Dryness down there would fit with you other mucus membranes being dry. It is certainly worth asking to be referred to a rheumatologist - they specialize in connective tissue problems.

Yeast infections can be horrible. Certainly being given antibiotics will allow yeasts to overgrow so thrush is common after antibiotics. Another thought is has you partner been treated for yeast too? Even if there have no symptoms they could be passing the infection back to you. Have you had the stronger thrush treatments (tablets)? If the yeast is higher up then creams and pessaries might not clear it totally. Does your doctor confirm the yeast with a swab or treat based on symptoms? It could be all related to dryness with no actual infection, or an infection that needs a different treatment.

Hope you get some answers and relief.

Flop

TG,

There are a lot of good lotions on the market to help with dryness, and my doctor advised that for me. Like Flop asked, are they testing and getting positive results for the yeast each time, or are they assuming it's a ongoing problem? I've had what seems like yeast/UTI/bacterial vaginosis for about a year now, but it's actually something called 'vulvodynia'. You may want to look this up online and see if the symptoms seem to fit. I had never heard of it before.

Good luck, and let us know what works!

Jana

TG,

There are a lot of good lotions on the market to help with dryness, and my doctor advised that for me. Like Flop asked, are they testing and getting positive results for the yeast each time, or are they assuming it's a ongoing problem? I've had what seems like yeast/UTI/bacterial vaginosis for about a year now, but it's actually something called 'vulvodynia'. You may want to look this up online and see if the symptoms seem to fit. I had never heard of it before.

Good luck, and let us know what works!

Jana

I'm pretty sure it's not this - it's always yeast, and it's always as a result of dryness during intercourse or after a heat spell. I will definitely ask my doctor to check into it next time I go in though.

I'm a little confused because in order for yeast to grow, it needs moisture, not dryness. I feel for you getting these lovely infections because I get them frequently. My doctor thinks that my birth control pills are adding to my problem. I don't want to go off my birth control, however, because I get so many migraines and he thinks the birth control pills are keeping me from having worse migraines. So, do I have pain or the itching! Sorry, maybe too graphic!!

I do know that diet can help. I eat lots of yogurt and try to stay away from eating too much cheese, peanut butter, and sugar. Yeast loves sugar and grows quickly from it. Also, I've noticed that the over-the-counter creams don't work to get rid of the infection. I need Diflucan, a prescription medication to get rid of it for good. The creams just seem to mask it.

Hope some of this helps.

Brenda