Looking For Some Exercise Buddies

scarfgirl

Hi.

My doctor wants me doing 150 minutes a week. I think I can beat that and my goal is 30 mins 6x a week (180 mins). I'm fairly self motivated, but it sure would be nice to have someone(s) to share my progress with. I don't care if you can only do leg raises while lying in bed, or if you're running marathons, just that you have a goal of some sort to reach for.

Right now I'm using the WiiFit for all of my exercising, although I am trying to add short (like 5 minute) treadmill walks.

Anybody in? Get a good jump on the New Years :)

This is a GREAT idea and I'd love to join you. I"m going away to my aunt, uncles and cousins house for christmas so I won't have access to my recumbant bike until I get hom on the 27th or 28th. I try to bike about 20 mins 5-6 days a week and do some very light weightlifting. I've been slacking the last few weeks so I'd love to have an buddy.

Love this!! Fitness support group from afar!! I'm in. Not planning on any marathons either but just joined the local fitness center in an attempt to stay upright. My goal is to get a little cardiac work out in without falling off the equipment!! If I do fall off the fitness center is across from the ER parking lot so that'll be easy access. My membership kicks in after Christmas!! I've considered starting a group with my moms club I'm in to support each other but I know they don't understand all the challenges I'm facing!!

Looking forward to it!! I keep thinking 2010 has got to be a better year for me!!!

Brye

does wigling your toes count...?:)

My goal this year have been getting to a hot swimming pool and do some movements standing in the water. I was abel to go 3-4 times.. Not having any one to take me a bigg reason for not more.. This year my goal is 12 times, but would love 1 time a week. ore every 14 day..

I have tryed yoga and have recumbent bike. But havent made it work yet. even did the yoga laying down. so my goal is to keep using my arms by wheeling my self as much as posible when out. and every day stand and walk as much as i can whit out over doing it.

150 minutes a week (voice rising in pitch!)???????? Gulp!

What are you at now?

I honestly find 45 minutes a week difficult at times, and I'm very functional! I have Pilates/PT once a week because I can't physically do it twice a week, and then I try to walk for one mile twice a week and add my shoulder exercises since I'm warmed up. It is a reasonable goal for a highly functional, non-fainter, but if you haven't done anything in while, I'd work up to that one. It has taken me over a year to work up to what I'm doing now. If I don't have my day off to recuperate, I'm down and out!

I'm in but I can't do that much- the most I've been able to do on my eliptical is 10 min. I take a yoga class once a week with my mom (she is the second youngest one there - I am the "baby")

I would like help with weight loss. I was thin before all of theses meds. Now I limit my exercise and sleep a lot- I would like to lose 10-15 lbs. I have never had to diet so it is really hard- I guess when my body was working so hard for 10 years- it needed cheese cake.

Does anyone want to lose weight?

I'm so in! I love this idea. I am interested in losing a bit of weight. My ideal is 130 and right now I'm 150. I range a lot because my appetite has a mind of its own. This time last year I was 120 because my appetite took a vacation. I'm more interested in putting on some muscle and getting my lungs back into shape.

I'm able to do 150 minutes minimum a week. How does this work? Are we going to check in once a week or something like that?

Guest tearose

I can't imagine it now but I will try! I get exercise related relapse but that may because it was too much at one time. My intention to do something small every day. I think if I make it a habit like brushing my teeth, I will do it and better manage. So count me in.

This is a great idea. I'm having a hard time keeping up my exercising now since I'm in a 'low' period, so it would be good to have more motivation and some accountability. I'll be without a computer and in CA from the 24-28, but will work out at the hotel if I have the energy. I'll plan to start full-time when I get back. As someone else asked...How are we going to do this? Just write in like we do now, or does someone know how to set up a chat room?

Cheers,

Jana

There has to be some way to group us together so we can just share with each other. Then maybe we can send out a whole group message weekly as well in case others want to join us. I also have weight to lose. I've had 4 kids and have lost my weight in between but this last one I developed POTS. Usually I just exercise to lose weight but that's not as easy any more. I have about 50 pounds to lose. This is one time I'm thankful to be so tall! I'm 6'2 and you would never know I'm that much over weight. I'm looking forward to a healthier 2010 though!!

Brye

Could we just post a new topic for each week like "exercise buddies week of december 17" and anyone who wants to can post their goal for the next week and how well they did the previous week?

A few of you said you couldn't do 150 mins a week but, i don't think we all have to have the same number of minutes or the same goal right? Just start as small as you want. I think its more motivational to set a smaller goal that you can reach and raise the goal slowly then set a high goal and fail.

I think my goal is 80 mins a week of biking and 40 mins of strenthening/weights

And even for those of you that have to sit a lot/can't do other types of exercise could you march your feet, kick your legs etc during commercial breaks of your favorite shows while in your chair? Depending on your abilities you could count walking while grocery shopping as exercise. I think sometimes walking in a cool store while pushing a cart is easier then going for a walk around the block.

I'd love to weight lose weight too before my wedding in aug.

Hiya all,

I haven't been on the board much recently, but I saw this and I like the idea. I am not sure how good I will be, but I do need more exercise. And to lose weight. My main exercise would probably be on my little exercise bike (the kind with just pedals you can use from any chair). Probably stretching too, and after a while try to add in more resistance training. I need to increase my endurance... So, let me know what you all come up with as far as forming a group! ;)

Me again!!! ;)

I too think that a Facebook group or email may be better. That way we can share between each other, and if find someone on similar level as you it is easier to communicate one on one vs. only the entire group. If it was on Facebook, it could be a closed group so not just anyone could view, add stuff etc... Just a thought.

PMing on here can fill up quick when used like that.... :D

I would love to join in too! I'm 10 weeks pregnant with my second baby and am really struggling to keep exercising with the POTS symptoms flaring and pregnancy crud on top of it. But I have found that it really does make a huge difference in how well I can function when I keep with it.

If everyone is cool with this, I've set up a group on Facebook that is private ...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=app_23...id=213495911639

Well, if we put it on the Chit-Chat forum and "sign-in" with an initial post, we could keep going back and editing our own post with our progress, sort of a log. We could start a Yahoo group, it sends out a group email every time a member posts. It is also a moderated thing, so others have to be "approved" to join. Or we could get a "buddy" and email back and forth weekly.

I would like to have some baseline info on all of us before we start:

resting HR

active (exercising) HR <medicated>

active (exercising) HR <unmedicated>

speed and length of time able to walk

speed and time walking ONE mile

initial ability and final ability at 4, 8 and 12 weeks.

symptoms during, immediately after and recovery time

symptom improvement with continuation?

I have serious questions about cardiovascular adaptability and conditioning for dysautonomiacs. I'm not sure it is possible or even measurable by the "commonly accepted standards."

Anybody want to do a study? Hint, Hint, all you docs out there?

I like the idea of a yahoo group or email. I think the thread on the chit chat forum will get too long and be hard to read. I feel like in the regular forum a lot of good questions and ideas get lost in longer threads. Or maybe we could break up into subgroups based upon our preferred method of communication. Anyway, whatever you all decide, count me in! I am very excited about an exercise support group!

If there's this many people interested, I'd prefer a Facebook group. But if not enough people are on Facebook, there are plenty of other ways to form groups.

I'd still prefer a little something here, sort of a weekly shout-out where we can all report our major successes and setbacks.

Also I'll look into different exercise tracking applications and see if there's something out there that can handle such 'variety', since hardly any of us will be doing the same sort of working out. I don't know about anybody else, but having something that can visually chart my progress really helps motivate me.

On Self.com, you have access to:

"Your own Self.com profile page, where you can upload photos, write a personal blog and keep a list of friends and favorite pages.

Join or create a private or public group, where you and your friends can stay in touch, share photos, keep a calendar of events and more!

Calculators, fitness and food logs that will help you stay on track and in shape. "

I believe this is where I used to keep track online and I thought it was pretty handy. You can see your friends' progress as well.

https://secure.self.com/user/login